thinking of breeding holland lop to wolly jersey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie

Reaction score
my holland lop is 7months old and we've had ademand for bunny babies(cousins, friends, rabbit folk) and i found hera super cute wolly jersey just a little smaller than she is what do yahthink of that? is it a good mix?

No, I really don't recommend breeding unlessyou've done a lot of research and are breeding for show or breedimprovement. If your friends are interested in rabbits, tellthem to check out the shelters and rabbit rescues. There arelots of needy rabbits out there, and purebreds aren't uncommon.

Please do research before you breed. There are lots ofdifficulties, especially for Holland Lop does which are prone to stuckkits and other potentially fatal birthing difficulties. Thereare so many problems that could come up for her and the babies, it'sreally not a good idea unless you've done your research and have anexperienced breeder as a mentor.

i have done alot of reserch and I have bredbefore I love Stella so much, she's very big bonned for a holland lopso i don't think there will be too many difficulties

I am a breeder and I don't recommendcrossbreeds. It is too easy to find other holland lops to recommend acrossbreeding unless you were doing it for a specific breeding reason(ie. I am developing a line of lionlops which means crossbreedingholland lops with lionheads - but this has a very specific purpose).

Many breeders and others will tell you stories of how people wantedbunnies badly.....till the doe was bred and and the babies were bornand then suddenly the excuses came out, "Oh...I can't take one rightnow. I'm sorry" and "I've changed my mind.." and "My landlord won't letme have one."

Peg

I don't recommend risking the health of abeloved pet rabbit by breeding it. She is a pet,and pets are not for breeding.

I've been breeding for many years and there is always a potential forproblems which may require very expensive veterinarytreatment. Dystocia (birthing difficulty) is only one of themany risks. Retained kits are not uncommon in smallerbreeds. Does may also suffer from mastitis or uterineinfection.

You'll find that while many people may say they'd take the kits, theychange their minds when faced with the actual facts of the time andmoney involved in owning a pet.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

it's not like that, i know what you mean whenyou say that people won't in the future it's happened to me too, i alsowant to breed so that Stella can have a friend b/c she doesn't reallyget along with too many rabbits.

Your intentions are good, but if Stella doesn'tget along with many rabbits, it's likely that she may become aggresivetowards any rabbit including her offspring. If she is a pet,her best companion is you.

Pam

well the breeding was done, but I'm not sure it worked how will i know

Well that is something we can not say for sure.Without knowing colors, or their genes it is hard to say. They willmore than likely be a mix of the two.

Than again I am not a breeder.

My current group of fosters is from a lady whobred a standard rex to an angora or jersey wooly (couldn't tell fromthe short time I saw him) and she couldnt' keep them anymoreso I took them in.

There where eight babies. Two had rex fur, but very poorquality with some longer hairs on the legs and lower torso_Once had longer fluffy fur, not quite as long as the dad but definitlylooked more fluffy.

The other five ended up with just regular fur. They are quitesoft, but not special fur or characteristics, just the normal bunnylook.

I would guess that your buns will have regular fur, and the ears willprobably not lop fully. They will just end up looking like"regular" rabbits.

That is if the mom can deliver them with out a problem. Iknow holland lops are notorious for having birthingcomplications. I would find a knowledgable vet now, as youmay need to rush her to the vets if the babies get stuck.

I would never advise cross breeding rabbits unless you are anexperienced breeding doing a crossing to attempt to improve yourline. Like some people will do one cross breeding to bring inshorter ears or a certain colour, then breed the cross back to a fullto eventually carry the trait into fourth or fifth generation pedigreedbuns.

With cross breeds, all you are going to get are mutts. Theywill almost never have nice characteristics, you normally lose thingslike rex fur or lopped ears.

If you want to breed, even if it's only for friends and family, I wouldhighly reccommend taking the time to find show stock with fullpedigrees to breed. Even though I never planned to breed on alarge scale (and now have my girl spayed as I decided I didn't have theresources to breed responibly), I still took several months to look fora fully pedigreed girl to breed. I was lucky that I hadfriends who had a suitable pedigreed male for me to breed her too,other wise I would have had to invest in a buck as well.

Breeding takes a lot of work to do responsibly, and is not something that should be taken lightly or done just for fun.

--Dawn

I guess I dont understand why you would ask foropinions on whether or not to breed them if you were going to do itanyway? Everyone here gave you great, thoughtful advice on why youshould not breed these two and you did anyway (and this advice camefrom people who are well-respected breeders themselves).

I just hope you are ready for the time and dedication breedingentails. We have so many people who breed their pets and areheartbroken when something bad happens to the mom or the babies. Itsdisheartening.

I was just about to say what Haley said. This really doesn't make any sense.

My heart bunny Berri was bred accidentally. She was a mini rex and thedad was a lop, the babies didn't get lop ears or rex fur.

As a result of the breeding (I think)Berri's health wentdown, she got abscess after abscess, and sadly she passed on lastmonth.:( Have you considered something like this?

Although I don't regret that it happened in a sense that I got Pebbleand Ebony, but I lost Berri in the process, and that breaks my heart.We were lucky in that Berri only had a small litter of 3, but they canhave like 8.

I really hope this goes well for you, I would hate another person to have to go through what I did. Good luck.

Keep in mind, this is a child that is breeding.This is one of ilovethetailyall's friends. If you look in their profileand previous posts, they were the one who had a rabbit with a lump onit's foot. Haley told them to bring in to the vet because it could bean abcess, and they never did.

I'm hoping the breeding didn't take, because I really don't think twoinnocent rabbits need to be cross-bred by anyone not knowing what theyare doing, and to only be breeding for the fun of it.

This really aggrivates me -- as if the rabbit population isn't out of control as it is. :sigh

Haley wrote:
Iguess I dont understand why you would ask for opinions on whether ornot to breed them if you were going to do it anyway? Everyone here gaveyou great, thoughtful advice on why you should not breed these two andyou did anyway (and this advice came from people who are well-respectedbreeders themselves).

I just hope you are ready for the time and dedication breedingentails. We have so many people who breed their pets and areheartbroken when something bad happens to the mom or the babies. Itsdisheartening.
i didn't ask if breeding was ok, i was going to do thatanyways, but i was talking about if it was a good mix (you knowcuteness level) so calm down!

i'm sorry if i agravated people, but this is my rabbit- so i think i'll do what I'd like.

I wish you would have reconsidered. MBH isright. The rabbit population is out of control. Too many pets, notenough owners. Oh, and Haley was only offering helpful information.

t. and loki

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Keep in mind, this is a child that is breeding. This is oneof ilovethetailyall's friends. If you look in their profile andprevious posts, they were the one who had a rabbit with a lump on it'sfoot. Haley told them to bring in to the vet because it could be anabcess, and they never did.

I'm hoping the breeding didn't take, because I really don't think twoinnocent rabbits need to be cross-bred by anyone not knowing what theyare doing, and to only be breeding for the fun of it.

This really aggrivates me -- as if the rabbit population isn't out of control as it is. :sigh
I'm hoping it didn't take too:(I feel the same way as you.

for your information- i did take her to the vet he said gave us some medicine and it cleared up.

Latest posts

Back