thinking of adopting a smaller rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbit1

Reaction score
I would be considering adopting two holland lops from petfinder. Now what size cage besides a nic cage can i house them in as they are a bonded pair ? they would get 1 to 2 hours playtime each day.

the biggest you can buy... thats what i was told, make sure it has a bedroom part...

4 feet, minimum!! This will give room for a litter box, a nice wooden house/cubbie to jump up on and/or hide in, and enough room to stretch out. You can also get a execise pen from ebay that would be even better as it would give them lots of room to run and play, all day.

I agree with the "largest you can buy" idea. I have my Nethie boy in a 36"x24" (I think). That is way too small for him. I admit that when I bought it, I had no idea what rabbits were about (I researched them, but found nothing on behavior, binkies, etc.). This is the cage he is currently housed in, but he is left out of the cage for the whole day. He just sleeps in there.

For the cost and size, you are way better off building your own cage. The NIC ones can be a bit tricky, but not too hard. A few choice words and throwing an NIC panel across the room may be needed. ;)

If size is the problem, build a two-to-three-story NIC condo. They save space on the floor, but allow your bun(s) the extra exercise that they need. I hope this helps a little! :)

I agree with "the largest you can buy," but a dog x-pen might be a good start. I use one that's 8 panels, and each panel is 2 feet wide. You can change it around to fit in different spaces if you need to. This should be big enough for a house, litter box, dishes, etc.
Then later, you can make the cage bigger by getting another x-pen, or adding on with NIC panels. (Or just start with 2 pens.) Or you can make a multi-level condo and then put the x-pen around the bottom to make a big run area. If you do get an x-pen, remember to use a taller one if the bunnies a "jumpers." My Tobi can jump over a 24" one, so we have to use one that's 32" tall for her. We also keep her house away from the front, so she can't jump on top and then jump out.

Here is Tobi's house, the gold fence part in front is her x-pen:
100_1195.jpg

She gets time outside of her pen to run around and explore, too.

Latest posts

Back