Thinking of adding to the family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitis3334

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of this for a while. I would love to get 2 more rabbits. I'm thinking maybe a French Lop. I had one when I was a kid, she was so fun to have. The thing is, I'm happy with the chemistry my 2 boys have now, they get along fine and are happy, so I don't think I would want them to be interacting with the new rabbits. If I was to place them in the same room would it likely have an effect on my current rabbits as far as personality? Part of me is saying be happy with what I have, but part of me would love to have a few more. My main idea was to add to the boys cage. It is 4 feet high right now. So if I build up and add another compartment for the new rabbits so it will actually be more like stacked cages. Overall they would have about 8 feet x 3 feet of cage, but since they are smaller then the boys I have now I can probably build another floor just a foot up.

I'm still thinking about this all, but figured I would get some opinions. The boys won't be getting neutered till next month so I would definitely be waiting till after that at least.

I was bad and looking at Craigslist this morning and found someone trying to rehome some rabbits. In the picture it shows 2 rabbits that look large, maybe Flemish mixes. Looked like they were living in one of those dog crates that are the hard plastic casing with just the air vents. According the the time stamp on the picture though, it was taken in 2007. One has a well developed dewlap in the picture so it was probably full grown. So they are probably about 5 years old already. Either way, I'm so tempted to go get them, I would just worry about how the boys would react with a female in the room.

So with my situation, would getting an adult be alright or would I be better off sticking with a baby? I'll admit that getting a 5 year old rabbit would be sort of sad since so much of their life is already over, but they just look so sad :( I'm really hoping this was just a transporation cage or something, but it looks like it has been well lived in for some time.

3nb3kc3o25V35O45T0b66b80e1ae814a31735.jpg

EDIT - Also, was thinking if I did get the girls now I can have my sister watch them till the boys get neutered. Of course this is the sister that couldn't tel cat pee in the rabbit food.... but since she doesn't have any cats I don't think I would have to worry.

Oh my goodness they look so sad, they need a good home. I hope you can take them and give them a good life and show them how much we can love them.

I wish you luck in your decision. I know I am not any help but if I saw these 2 I couldnt resist, I would have to rescue them .

dewlaps can develop at early ages. their probably around a year old..doubt less. people who put them in those conditions dont know their care and needs well GENERALLY and so prob have not had them too long.

Getting an adult will save her out of the situation, and also hormonal angst is over with mostly and she is done with her teen rebellions. It is all personal preference.

Personally, while I love the little cuddly buns at the young age, I have had them have abrupt changes in their personalities. at least with her, she is the way she is and can only get better with a spay.

Well I know I always have a bad habit of going out and getting more animals when things are perfect the way they were. Usually it ends up creating more work and chaos for me. LOL!

If you bring more rabbits home, especially if the boys aren't neutered yet, it will more than likely cause a ruckus in some way. You just have to decide if you want to deal with it or not.

Back