thinking about changing litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of us here on RO use the pine pellets. They're cheap and work really well. I buy 40 lb bags of pine pellet horse bedding for $7. You can also buy the wood stove pine pellets as long as it's just staight wood pellets with no additives like accelerants. The wood stove pellets are 40-50 lb bags and usually a little cheaper at around $4-6 a bag.

Lots here use pellets and swear by them. We use kiln dried pine from WalMart and also hand shred my newspaper. Reported the spammer to admin--usually the address is a giveaway--ohio, Armenia! Why not Nigerian Prince for U or something even more obvious?

I use kaytee soft granule blend. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JLPIWU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I LOVE it. I can easily go 1 week without changing the litter box and still not smell it. My rabbits will not use anything else now. I personally do not like the wood stove pellets. They do not help with the smell much. You can often get the kaytee at petco cheeper than amazon. I recently got 8 bags of it for $11 per bag at petco. That is enough to last me 9-11 months with 3 litter boxes and cleaning them more than need be. 1 bag will EASILY last you over a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
ldoerr wrote:
I use kaytee soft granule blend. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JLPIWU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I LOVE it. I can easily go 1 week without changing the litter box and still not smell it. My rabbits will not use anything else now. I personally do not like the wood stove pellets. They do not help with the smell much. You can often get the kaytee at petco cheeper than amazon. I recently got 8 bags of it for $11 per bag at petco. That is enough to last me 9-11 months with 3 litter boxes and cleaning them more than need be. 1 bag will EASILY last you over a month.

I have a REALLY big litter box because I have diggers so I have a high backed litter box in a big walmart tupperware box. How much gets you through 1 week? I know the big 50 liter carefresh gets me through about 5 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
For litter boxes I use 16qt storage bins. I fill them each with 2 qts of litter each week. So the 27l bag will fill my litter box 14 times. A little bit of this stuff lasts a LONG time. To extend the life even more you can run a cat litter scoop through it every so often to get the poops out. Before you do that you can scoop the spot where they pee (normally in a back corner) with a scoop (I got one at walmart for $.97). If you do it this way I bet that you can get the same litter to last 2-3 weeks with only a little bit of top off from what you scoop the pee from. Even if you do not change it at all or mess with the litter box you can easily get 1 week of poop and pee in there with multiple bunnies and not notice a smell until you start digging the stuff up. I change it more than I need to because I bought 8 bags when it was on sale at Petco. The sale was over a month ago (maybe 2 months ago) and I still have only used 1/2 of 1 bag. My rabbits refuse to use any other litter besides this. It feels really good on their paws. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it can fly a little bit if you have a bunny with long hair (like a jersy wooly like me) and short sidded box (I have one as well that I got for when they got spayed). It does not fly or make a mess with my high sidded box at ALL. It is easy to clean up. There really is no negative to it. They sell it in 10 liter, 27.5 liter and 50 liter (you have to go through amazon for the 50 liter and it is sooo much more expensive that way). when I talk about a bag of it normally I am talking about the 17.5 liter bag.

Sorry that this has been sooo long.

jap08m wrote:
I have a REALLY big litter box because I have diggers so I have a high backed litter box in a big walmart tupperware box. How much gets you through 1 week? I know the big 50 liter carefresh gets me through about 5 weeks
have you tried using a grid to stop the digging? there's great instructions on how to make one about 1/3 of the way down the first page of this thread: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93

Yes I swear by this thread as well.. The grid works amazing and you can use any type of litter you like! When new bun arrives, I'm also making him one too :) I just love it

I should really try the stove pellets again. Haven't tried it since I only had 2 bunnies and both of them were sensitive to it- they got runny noses after I used it for a couple of weeks so we gave away the rest and went back to Yesterday's News, Good Mews, or the Petco brand paper pellets. With 7 bunnies, we go through a LOT of litter, so I should try the stove pellets again! The one that I HATE is Feline Pine. Ohhhhh, how I hate it. After it gets tinkled on, it dries and then disintegrates and gets flung everywhere. We bought a bag about a year ago and I promptly used it in all the bunnies' boxes. Just about pulled my hair out dealing with that litter times 7.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I should really try the stove pellets again. Haven't tried it since I only had 2 bunnies and both of them were sensitive to it- they got runny noses after I used it for a couple of weeks so we gave away the rest and went back to Yesterday's News, Good Mews, or the Petco brand paper pellets. With 7 bunnies, we go through a LOT of litter, so I should try the stove pellets again!
You may already be aware of this, but some wood pellets have accelerant in them. Be sure to avoid those kinds.

Jennifer I have looked at that thread many times, but I have not made one yet. I was wanting to go to home depot and get the egg crate and a new litter box today but my parents said that I could not do it. I really do want to try it though. How mush is the egg crate btw? On the website it says like $13 for a 2x4 sheet and that seems expensive.

Latest posts

Back