Thinking about a rabbit for my son Polish or ND or Holland Lop;

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
Ok a few weeks ago I took my kids to a rabbit show and my son fell in love with a mini lop REW now he thinks he want a REW but the thing is he wants it to stay small. My son turn 10 tomorrow and he will be joining 4-H in october but he is really liking them. SO my question is what do you think would be best for him he want it to stays small, he likes the size of my baby dutch and want something small and that will not grow bigger then a JR dutch. So we have narrowed it down to 3 breeds. He either wants to get a Polish a ND, or a holland lops he likes there face, I have heard of the 3 the polsh is best with kids but I have never owned any of these 3 breeds so I am not sure what would be best for him. But he says it has to be a Red Eyed White.we are also tempted to just what tell after he jons and goes to a few 4-H meeting to see what he really might want but I would still like so thoughts

I think a small Holland Lop would be a good choice. They have quite a weight range because some of them get the dwarfing genes and others don't. To give you an idea, my Holland Lop is full grown and weighs 1 1/2 pound (though I think she's on the small end of normal). The reason I say Holland Lop over Polish or Netherland Dwarf (I've had a Nethie but not a Polish) is that in my experience of owning 2 Holland Lops, they are not as high strung and would be easier for a child to handle. My first bunny at the age of 10 was a Netherland Dwarf and he was a very hyper little guy :D Nothing wrong with that, just a Holland may be easier for him to deal with. Of course, all bunnies are individuals so you can't bank on a rabbit having a certain personality just because of its breed.

I breed holland lops but also have a polish rabbit - she's a retired breeding doe that is now 6 years old.

I used to hear people say that the polish breed is an excellent "first rabbit" for someone and I have to agree.

Mind you - I love my hollands even if they are little brats sometimes. I love to watch them play and binky and they just have so much energy. A couple are even a bit cuddly.

But Angel, my polish...has totally stolen my heart. Perhaps its because we got her from a not so great situation - I don't know (she was donated to a rabbit raffle at a show).

I think either breed would work - but if you're looking for a cuddler - I might like more at a polish than a holland lop. In addition you might want to consider which has more chance at competition in your area...if there are tons of holland lops - you might prefer to go with a polish - or vice versa.

My only concern is the fact that your son wants a REW so badly. I hope I can explain myself clearly with what I wan to say.

I oftentimes see people want one particular color and they will pick a rabbit based upon its color and not take the time to get to know the rabbit and figure out its personality, etc. Then when they don't enjoy the "cute rabbit" that they got - they don't understand that it is because they based their decision upon looks only and not upon getting to know that rabbit.

So you might want to take the time to have your son interact with more than one rabbit so he can see the differences in personalities (even if they're not REW) before you actually go looking for a rabbit.

BTW - I have nothing against REWs...I like them myself. But a show rabbit that is in a family's home may be at 10-12 shows per year (or more I suppose) - but those other 300+ days of the year you have to live with it as a pet.

If he's going to show it at 4H, you might want to see what breeders have a good reputation in your area and use that to help narrow down the breed. He might also find that once he checks out available rabbits in the breeder's barn, he won't be as stuck on a particular color and will gravitate towards one with a great personality, too.

Has he petted a mini rex? That's another awesome smaller breed that comes in REW. Britannia Petites do too, but they're not exactly children's rabbits, lol!

Edit: The personalities of the breeds he is looking at can range quite a bit. I've seen nethies that are lap bunnies, then there is my dwarf girl (not sure on breed) who is super territorial and needy. She was awful when she hit puberty until she was spayed. I love her but sometimes I wonder how I got so into rabbits when she was my first one.;)

I breed Polishes and Netherlands and of the two, I would say definitely a Polish would be a better first rabbit for a kid. I love my Nethies but they can be more highly strung and temperamental rabbits. The Polishes are hilarious; they have HUGE personalities and are really just totally nice, cool, chill, inquisitive rabbits. Our broken black buck Holstein thinks he's a dog--he is such a busy-bee bunny, always wanting to know what everyone is doing all the time and if he can join in the fun. :)

Well thank you for all the thoughts. We will be given it more thought on what he will want. I will not be getting anything for s few months but just wanted some thoughts. That way I can watch around as well. I know there are a few polish breeders in the area just not Rew that I know of and there alway ND and lops around. He has not felt a mini Rex or a mini satin. We will be going to the fair at the end of the month as I will be showing my Dutch so that will give him a chance to see more. A big part of why Im going to wait is I know it's a pet we will have for a while and I want to make sure he really wants it and it's not That he just thinks it's cute and doesn't put the time in he needs to with it.
He has been spending more time out with all the rabbit lately helping out. Since currently we have Lilly our Flemish giant who both Kids love but she is to big to pick up for them. And then we have 5 Dutch's and two litters from them so six kits one 3 weeks other 5 2 weeks today.
But thank you again and I will put more thought into it plus like I said what to see what he decides he likes at the 4-h group.

I was thinking tonight. My son is 10 so when he joins 4-h and shows does he have to pose his own rabbits. I was thinking if he does then a polish may be better for him. It seems like ND and holland are harder to pose and sometimes can be stubborn to pose. I don't know anything about 4-h that's why I thought I would ask

I have a polish and two nethies. Had a holland. I love all three breeds. The nethies while sweet bunnies are not cuddlers. My polish can cuddle but is also active. My holland he was not a cuddler but was the best rabbit ever. I miss him like crazy.

I have an ND and a Holland lop. The ND is high strung, the lop is pretty laid back. I don't now what Polish's are like but I would recommend a lop for a beginner.

Never had a Polish, but our experience with ND's is that they really aren't for novice's. The sweetest bunny we ever had was a little red Holland. She was such a mellow, happy, and friendly little bunny. Our experiences with Dutch's has been very positive too.

DEFINITELY Holland Lop. They are so very friendly and stay small. They are great with kids. I raise them and sold them to many families with children and they always tell me how great the bunnies are with the kids.
I actually babysat for a family that got 3 of my bunnies and the kids (two 5 year old and a 10 year old) could easily pick them up and carry them around after being educated on how to carry them properly!

Are there any breeders in your area that have both breeds? You could then take your son and see which individual rabbit he likes. If that is not an option (one breeder with both breeds), then try to find separate breeders to visit. I do think that with a choice like this it really comes down to the individual rabbit. Contact the breeders and tell them what you are looking for, even it is just the breed and maybe age or sex. This lets them narrow it down a bit so you don't have a ton of rabbits to look at. It would be good to visit with both breeds, then talk with your son about which one he liked and if you feel that is a good choice then go buy the rabbit.

If you are wanting to show as well, then tell that to the breeders. I am sure your son would find one he likes within the show quality rabbits and you won't have to worry so much about him falling for a rabbit you can't show. Also keep in mind if REW is showable in those breeds. If he wants to show, then he needs a rabbit that he can show and it is no good to get a colour that can't be shown. he may still be able to do showmanship, but actual showing may be limited.

It would be good to attend the 4-H meetings to see if he does like it. The leader may also be able to help you narrow down your choices and give some advice.

I think it will be best for him to wait tell he starts 4-h before I do anything. I want to make sure he really wants to put the time in plus make sure to pick out what he really likes, plus I want to have him go to a few shows to look at somemore breeds. I want him to feel a mini Rex first. But I am really leading toward a holland lop or polish but he says no mater what it has to be Rew

Back