Think we picked something up...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsMeowTree

Reaction score
Well.... at Washington there was a class of reds(The 2nd time around Pam, they were relatively clean during yourjudging) that had diahrea when shown by two exhibitors. My buck had tosit by the one doe and then in the same pen as the doe for a long time.I cleaned him off and tried to take all precautions but at thebeginning of this week (about 2 weeks) the buck started to have loosestool. It got so bad that it basically was a constant "squish." I kepthim clean as possible, washing him off and cleaning him. Today he hadmaggots. I'd clean and then there were more (none yesterday, at all). Icouldn't do anything for him.. he wouldn't even hold his head up out ofthe water. I gave him to dad to do away with and he just died....

I had been feeding him oats to try and harden things up. He was in aclean area, with healthy animals all around. I never have somethinglike this attack my animals.....What do I do now? I have the pen cleanand everyone else is doing fine.....

Kat

'Tis the season :( I'm sorry to hear that you ended up loosing him.

You can try putting some tetracycline in the water during an outbreak,however, viral infections are common during this time ofyear. (Antibiotics can help curb secondary bacterialinfections that may develop). Generally it just maycause loose droppings for a few days and is not fatal in olderrabbits. Rotavirus incubation is only a couple days, althoughother viruses may have a longer incubation period. In manyinstances of intestinal viruses, a rabbitcould be shedding avirus, but not showing symptoms.

I would also have a fecal test done if you continue to haveproblems. The rabbits may develop an over-growth of cocci dueto a weakened immune system.

I've been trying to remember to frequently sanitize my hands whenjudging (especially when handling "suspect" animals), however, with somany rabbits passing through so many coops -- chances of exposure arehigh.

Pam

That's awful! That's what scares meabout about any animal show. It's so easy for diseases to gettransferred. I hope he was the only one in your herd to getsick.:(

I use something called Benebac. It isa paste that comes in a syringe like tube. It is used whenthe rabbits get diarrea. You can pick it up atshows. You give one gram per each 10 pounds. Itreplenishes the rabbits microorganisms.

So sorry to hear about your bunny. Sharon

OH Kat , Iam so sorry , That has to be one of themost heartbreaking occurences , I know whenI went to the lastShow there was a few rabbitswho's bladder control wasn't thebest and we had to load upinthe box before it was cleaned. what I did was use hand sanatizer on the feetof my rabbit . let it drybefore putting him in his carrier ,then when home washed his feetoff then put him intoImediate Quarentine, Poor baby is stillhiding outin there too .

This is aother good reason toQuarentine rabbits , I am sosorry this happened to you , I know yourrabbits are your sanity

I'm so sorry, Kat! :sad:

That's such an unnecessary loss. My heart goes out to you and the little one you lost.

:rose:

-Carolyn

Thank You everyone! Pam, I completely know howyou feel and I don't blame any of the judges for it. It's just a riskyou take when you go to shows, especially with the young ones.Forutnately he was still in quarantine and so the rest that were therewill have to stay for a couple more weeks.

We were trying to give him a Probiotic (similar to Benebac) but itseemed not to help. I will give some preventative tetracycline to therest of them there and hope for the best. I sanitized his pen evenbefore he had passed, just to be sure that nobody else couldcontract it from him.

It was a shame because I was going to enter him in the Penn State showand he was sold to another later after that. I have one for her toreplace him.... but it's just not the same I guess.

Thank you all for your sympathy and help

Kat

Latest posts

Back