Think their Room is a Toilet...HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I know it's been forever since I've been around, but I've been really busy house hunting and getting ready for this baby on the way. But I have a problem and I am at my wits end. Bandit and Holly (not too sure who it is or if it's both of them?!) seem to be peeing and pooing all over their room.

They have always had WONDERFUL litter habits, now all of a sudden they go everywhere. There are no other animals or anything in their room or anything, so I'm not sure why all of a sudden they would do this and how to make it stop. I clean up all their "accidents" with Vinegar, but that doesn't seem to deteer them from doing it again.

We are moving again in the spring (March or April) so I don't want this habit to follow us to the new house. I won't have as much time to spend with them as of the end of April once our daughter is born (ofcourse I will make time for them, but being a new-first time mom the baby will take up a lot of my time for a bit), so I want to break them of this awful habit now.

Any ideas would be more then welcomed!!!

Thanks in Advance!

Crystal

Are they on carpet or a soft flooring? If so, I would get them on a surface that does not absorb liquid. Make a NIC cage or pen with a coroplast or lineoleum floor.

I find that when litter habbits are lost, typically they start choosing a soft surface (like carpet or blankets) to pee on. I take them away until they've been going in their litter boxes for a long time.

You may have to restrict their space and slowly re-introduce them to a larger area. Start the litter training process all over again.

It sucks, but if you want to get them back to good habits, you've got to get them on a water proof floor that won't absorb odour.

--Dawn

I would restrict them to their condo unless directly supervised for a while.

Wipe up the pee with a paper towel, then put that in the litter box. Then mist down the cage with vinegar water and wipe up. You may have to do this multiple times a day.

When Sekura and Sugar came to me, they had no potty skills at all, the whole cage was for peeing. I had four litter boxes and cleaned their cage 4-5 times a day, putting dirty smells in the litter box and cleaning the rest. It took them about two weeks to catch on to the idea.

You'll have to treat them like buns with no litter skills at all.

One thing though, make sure neither one has a urinary tract infection or something wrong that could be causing the bad behaviour. Watch and try to catch whether it's one or both of them. If it's both, chances are they are just being naughty, but if it's just one check them out. Make sure they aren't straining or have any grit in their pee.

--Dawn

Well I haven't had any luck. So I am going to try putting them in their cage and only letting them out a bit each day. I hate doing that since they're so use to having free run, but I can't handle the mess anymore. I will see how this goes, and then go from there.

Latest posts

Back