Think Guy has Fur Mites :S

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about a month ago, I noticed there was one little area on Guy's back where the fur felt a bit ruffled, as thought it was coming out. When I gavesome of the fur a gentle pull, it came out, with what looked like bunny dandruff attached to it where it would have been close to the skin. I honestly thought that maybe Guy had just scratched the samearea more than once and made it a bit dry but that it wuld heal.

Well I've recently noticed the "ruffly" patch where fur comes outwith dandruff attached has got bigger. This made me wonder if he had Mange, but in a hamster Ihad a as a youngster, symptoms were much more obvious.

So I looked in the RO Library and saw this:-

"Symptoms of Fur mites are more subtle than those of mange or ear canker, and these mites usually do not cause as much itching as other types of mites. Fur mite infestations usually manifest as flakes in the skin that look like dandruff. In more advanced cases, the fur may actually start to fall out, leaving tufty or bald patches. Unfortunately, some types of fur mites are not easily found on skin scraping or visual inspection. But treatment with the proper medication (selamectin) will often clear up this problem, even if mites cannot be visualized.

I haven't seen anything crawling in his fur. He has an appointment for a vaccination jab this Wedenesday, so I will mention it to the vet then.

Strange thing is, I haven't noticed Guy scratching that much? :?Last year when both him and Ebony were seen scratching persistently, the vet gave me some treatment for both.

Am guessing there has been something in the pre-packed hay I buy, because they never come into contact with other rabbits or wildlife.

Jo x

Yes.

At first I even wondered of the condtiion was a form of rabbit excema.

Well according to the RO information, there is an effective treatment available, so hopefully Guy will have normal skin and fur very soon.

Jo x

I have had a bunny with dandruff but no mites, and others have too. Treatment for that is this skin moisturizing spray. Definitely ask the vet to check for mites, though, as the treatment is easy and effective (Revolution).

Man, we should link our threads, lol. Same thing happened to Snuff, I never got anything for him(thought he had fur mites as well), cuz it seemed to stop. Now he has like 3 spots that look bare from away, but have dark fur growing. Confused!:?;)

Hi there,
Thanks for tips on treatment all :). Vets appt is 6:20 tonight.

Angels...
Am not sure what colour your bun is overall, but is it possible Snuff has scratched away the top layer of lighter hairswhich hasrevealed the darker under-layer?

Poor Snuff with his irritated patches.

It seems even rabbits can have "sensitive skin" :ponder:

Jo x

jcl_24 wrote:
Hi there,
Thanks for tips on treatment all :). Vets appt is 6:20 tonight.

Angels...
Am not sure what colour your bun is overall, but is it possible Snuff has scratched away the top layer of lighter hairswhich hasrevealed the darker under-layer?

Poor Snuff with his irritated patches.

It seems even rabbits can have "sensitive skin" :ponder:

Jo x
He thinks he has to clean all the time, so it's possible. The first spot looked like something, but now they don't. No dry skin or anything like that. Oh, He's a holland lop, tort.;) His color has changed in past months/year, but he's alot the blonde color.

Latest posts

Back