Think Fiver might be blind

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Now, obviously Fiver will be going to the vet any day now to have a full-body check, and I'll have the vet check this as well...

But I wanted to see if there's possibly anything I can do here at home to determine if he's blind. He seems to use hearing and touch (whiskers or paws) to find his way around and figure stuff out. And he doesn't react to the flash of the camera at all...whereas the girls, if they're laying down, will get up...or if their eyes are closed, they'll open them. I did notice him reacting to the sound of the clicking of it, though...he came over a short time later sniffing insanely and trying to check it out.

I've also noticed him tilting his head, one way or the other, at what looks like an attempt to see something better that's close to him. And yesterday, in checking out his cage, he appeared to kinda run into the cage walls until he got used to where they were. (Anything I could do to help him out with this?)

He's not rolling, no eye or nose runniness...intake and outtake perfect...so no indicators of head tilt or anythign like that.

So...I've been doing some research online to find something or other I can do with him to help determine this...but am just not finding a whole lot.

Any ideas?

Also, if anyone out there has a blind bun...could you let me know what, if he's blind, I might be able to expect about his care? Could you please give me the do's and don'ts?

Thanks, guys!!

Rosie*

P.S. Fiver does have an old, now-healed eye injury to his left eye. Here's a picture of what it looks like:
2.jpg

Hi Rosie,

You can try putting your hand close to his face and quickly wiggling a finger all of a sudden in front of his eye and see if her reacts, or shine a light in it and see what the pupils do maybe?

The thing with testing eyesight is to remember that he may use the feel of wind (if you wave your hand in front of his eyes) to judge that something is coming close to his face, rather than actual vision.

It sounds like he does have some sort of visioun trouble, main thing to remember with vision impaired buns is to keep things in their cages all in the same places etc as I'm sure you know, and to remember that they'll be more sensitive to sound and touch.

Good luck with Fiver, I love that name.

I've never had a blind rabbit before, but years ago I rescued a blind Canada? Canadian? goose from a neighbor. He had gotten her thrown in with a lot of other birds at a swap, and was jsut going to put her to sleep. So I took her home. Anyway, like NZ said, don't move things around, rattle the feed can when you feed him so he can follow the sound, and think before you use a soap or hand lotion he isn't used to, so your smell doesn't make a big change.

With my goose, I would take and gently dip her bill into the water and then the feed so she could feel exaclty where it was, but she had other problems besides jsut blindness. You likely won't have to go that far with your Fiver.

I know that there's a Yahoo group for people with disabled bunnies, though I don't know its name - you could check the EtherBun archives on Yahoo (requires membership, like here; no big deal) to find out more, as there are EB members who also belong to the other group.

Am sure there are suggestions in both groups' archives for making things easier for blind bunnies. Wish I could be of more help personally, but I think that knowing there are resources out there is the most I can do.

BTW, he's very handsome; looks like he's got a sweet personality!

It could be that he just can't see well, like my Oberon. He checks everything out with his whiskers before running or jumping around. He "scans," meaning he sort of wobbles back and forth when he's looking at something to help get it into focus. He does small, faster motions, but another red eyed white bun I played with at the shelter did slow, wide head movements.

We'll see what your vet says. But blind or nearly blind rabbits aren't too hard to take care of. Don't move stuff around if you can help it. Talk to them to let them know you are there. If he tends to panic more often (Oberon does), try to figure out what is causing it. We've decided that Oberon can't see black things very well and has a harder time determining their shape because large black things scare him, even us wearing black pants. Also, make sure he has a box to hide in. Oberon is dependant on his, it's his Safety Box.

ec wrote:
I know that there's a Yahoo group for people with disabled bunnies, though I don't know its name - you could check the EtherBun archives on Yahoo (requires membership, like here; no big deal) to find out more, as there are EB members who also belong to the other group.

Am sure there are suggestions in both groups' archives for making things easier for blind bunnies. Wish I could be of more help personally, but I think that knowing there are resources out there is the most I can do.

BTW, he's very handsome; looks like he's got a sweet personality!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/disabledrabbits/

I joined after Peanut first got sick last year. Hopefully the members there will have some useful advice :)

Thanks so much, guys!!

ec and m.e.: Good about that site! I've actually put in to join the group and I'm waiting for approval. :)

Naturestee: Good thinking! He has a big ol' wood v-shaped thing in his cage, but it takes up most of his downstairs, and seems to bother him...I was considering taking it out...what do you think? Also...we constructed his little space under his 2nd floor with a panel next to it...and I'm going to put his security blankie in it (a little woolen blankie sort of thing). Is that good for a hidey space? Or should it be more closed-off?

Also...he seems to be really nervous going up and down from his bottom floor to his 2nd story...should I put a ramp there for him?

I got a video of my doing the finger wiggle test...and as soon as it's on Photobucket, I'll post it. :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

I think he's going to need a little seeing eye/assistance hamster.

:p;) Can you just picture that? LOL!

anyhow, I am betting his near site is bad..... and he can see things at a distance.

I don't know why - just seems that way.

I dunno... do blind bunnies move aorund so well on the various levels? He found that pice of hay in his bucket easy enough and he looked over when you wiggled... maybe he can't see well, but doesn't look like he's blind to me although I have never had a blind bun... but he's CUTE!!! I love the ears.

I don't know... It didn't seem like he turned his head until you tapped your fingernail on the bars, but that could have jsut been because the sound was interesting. He did hesitate about jumping down, but if he isn't used to having multiple levels, it could just be that he is getting used to it. I think I am going to reserve judgement until after the vet verdict. :DBTW, when is he going in?

Thanks for your ideas, guys!

Yeah, I've pretty much reserved judgement until I hear one way or the other from the vet. I'm just waiting to hear from Auntie Heather if we can take him into our reg. vet, as the visit is something they pay for, and she's been down with the flu, so hasn't been able to check with the vet to be sure he'll allow that. Keep your paws crossed!! :D

He's adjusting really well! He did a bit of a rolling laydown earlier...not quite a dead bunny flop, but close. Not to mention, he's done quite a few binkies, and actually sprayed me right on the arm last night! Hehe!!

We put a couple ramps in his cage last night, and he almost immediately seemed to feel SO MUCH BETTER having them there. :)

So...my baby's doing great! :D

Awwwwwwwwwww he's happy! I love ROLLY FLOPS! Heidi did some tonight and I just melted!

The rescue pays for the vet? for how long? is he a foster or yours forever?

I'm betting he has sight but it's poor/gone in the eye with the injury.

As far as his eyes...yeah, that could definitely be it...but the vet'll be able to tell me. :)

Yeah...I love the rolly flops, too...it's so cute...reminds me of my kitties when they look at me upside down while laying down. *sigh* Aren't animals wonderful??

:inlove:

And to answer your question...he's mine...ALL MINE!! Hehe...I don't think I would make a good foster mommy...I'd probably adopt them every time! :biggrin2:

Oh, another thing: they're paying for his first visit only...and his neuter when I get the okay from the vet. :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Awwwwwwwwwww he's happy! I love ROLLY FLOPS! Heidi did some tonight and I just melted!

The rescue pays for the vet? for how long? is he a foster or yours forever?

I'm betting he has sight but it's poor/gone in the eye with the injury.

Oh, ok! I thought he was yours to keep (subconcious slip? I first typed ours lol!) That's good they pay for the first visit! I hope the vet has good news there. I think we are pretty good at guessing these things (bunny people here) due to our constant education on RO - seriously - we learn so much all the time I think! but it's always best to check with their vet. I think most of us here could be a good bunny vet to a point! Maybe a bunny licensed practical nurse. LOL!

I am the same exact way when it comes to fosters - I couldn't give them up! That's why hubby freaked when I took in a transport bunny for 10 days one time. He said "NO! you'll never take it away!" but I did - it was a show bunny and I had to move him along to his home.... I loved him while he was here tho!

I have this strong feeling that Fiver is going to become your snuggy bun. He just looks like the type to love kisses and snuggles once he gets all secure there.

Just have to say that Fiver is such a cutie! I watched the video, and was impressed with his mobility...if he does have sight issues, he doesn't seem to be letting them get in his way! Good job, as always, Rosie!!!! You are the best bunny mom!

Latest posts

Back