Things your bunnies do that continue to surprise you

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pani

Bunny servant Lotte
Reaction score
After I'd been bragging about how Felix has been a bit more well-behaved over the last few days, he surprised me again tonight with his misbehaving!

His xpen area includes run of about half of the living room, including the couch. He's taken to sometimes jumping to the top of the couch and running across the top, but we encourage him to stay near the safe half against the wall, and away from the part that curves, as there's an opening to the floor and then my partner's desk and PC.

Just a few minutes ago while I was sitting at my desk (with my back to Felix's penned area) I heard a THUD noise, and quickly scanned the area to see where Felix had gotten himself now. Couldn't see him, so I checked around the room, and found a little bundle of black fur underneath my partner's desk! He seemed a bit shocked but recovered quickly, eager to explore, until I picked him up and plopped him back into his pen.

I could hear him running around, so I'm thinking he must have run across the top of the couch and perhaps fallen when he tried to stop/turn, which would have been a fall over 3 feet! :cry1: I'm now fussing over him and watching him like a hawk, but he seems okay... just lying next to his water bottle and resting, and he was moving around with no problems before that. Hopefully he's not hiding any hidden problems. He's so fragile in my eyes yet he keeps doing things like this!!

Have your buns done anything to surprise you recently? Could be a naughty surprise like Felix (hopefully it'll teach him to stay away from that part of the couch at least), or a sweet surprise, like learning a new trick!

It'd also be nice to hear about your buns falling and recovering with no problems, like I'm hoping Felix has. The little guy makes me so nervous sometimes! :rabbithop

You'd be surprised how high the small ones can jump, houdini has jumped over most things in my house. I now have a very tall board so he can't jump out of the xpen. He once got his foot caught in the bats of his cage jumping up and down off it, it's now covered in cardboard. He had obviously knocked it and limped for a few hours but was then back to normal. Just keep you eye on him but if he's hopping and moving normally, he should be ok. Little rascals :p

The only surprising things that rabbits ever do are always naughty, lol. I heard a loud crash and thump from the laundry one day and walked in to find Bandit looking quite proud of himself sitting on top of the washing machine. He did it several times (even when I wasn't home) and amazingly managed to get himself down again (though I can't say how easily he got down). He seems to have stopped that habit now.

But I'm constantly surprised but how high he can jump, how determined/stubborn he is, how fast he can run/dig/chew/escape etc. Haha, cheeky little things :p

I just found my bun on top of the tumble dryer!

Love this thread. :) We've been noticing that our little bun loves high places! I don't know if that's a typical behavior for rabbits, as I don't have a lot of experience with them, but our little guy definitely has an affinity for high places. If there's any physical way he can hop onto it, he will. It's so funny to me, it's just like the behavior of a cat. :)

I could hear him running around, so I'm thinking he must have run across the top of the couch and perhaps fallen when he tried to stop/turn, which would have been a fall over 3 feet! :cry1:

It'd also be nice to hear about your buns falling and recovering with no problems, like I'm hoping Felix has. The little guy makes me so nervous sometimes! :rabbithop

At my house in San Antonio, I have 48'' tall playpens fencing in the living room for the bunnies. The first time I found Nala on the wrong side, I blamed myself - thought she must've snuck out while I had the door open and I closed it/left the room without noticing. After all, how else could she possibly have gotten out??

I put her in the pen, shut the door (making SURE it was securely closed and she was inside) and went back to my room. Came out a couple hours later, and she was out of the pen again!!

I found the thread I started, trying to see if anyone could help me figure out how the heck she was getting out. It's older than I thought it was - I just realized she was only 4 mos, 1 week old at the time o_O.

I ended up catching her when she was in the process of getting out for the third time. Turned at that where the x-pen met the condo, something about that corner made it possible for her to CLIMB all the way to the top of the pen!... and when she got there, she was dropping down a full FOUR FEET and plopping onto the berber carpet.

She was fine; I was floored :p.

Love this thread. :) We've been noticing that our little bun loves high places! I don't know if that's a typical behavior for rabbits, as I don't have a lot of experience with them, but our little guy definitely has an affinity for high places. If there's any physical way he can hop onto it, he will. It's so funny to me, it's just like the behavior of a cat. :)

Bunnies like to look down on everyone, lol. Nala and Gaz love to post up on the top floor of their condo and look down on the living room. I specifically have it set up so they can't get higher than us humans - the highest they're able to get puts them at eye-level with us. I don't care if they feel like they're our equals, but I draw the line at letting them look down on us :p. Bunnies are not the boss of me!

Their proclivity towards high ground actually stems from an instinct that survived domestication - in the wild, rabbits prefer high ground when they're out grazing (which is most of the time) because the combination of being on high ground and having nearly 360 degree vision gives them a great advantage when it comes to spotting predators before they get too close - very hard to sneak up on someone standing atop a hill when they can see in all directions at once!

Domesticated rabbits still tend to feel safer and more at ease when they're loafing around closer to the ceiling than the ground. Plus, they're kinda nosy and it gives them a great view of what's going on!

Hahaha, I love your "and they're kinda nosy!" Haha, so true. Whenever my boyfriend kisses me, if I look at Srećko, he's watching. Hahaha

But that's interesting and totally makes sense. I figured it's probably not just our little guy!

My daughters bed is 2ft 2 in. And the bun is 2lb. Polish. When my daughters bed still had drawers in it. We would find Mason bun on the bed. He has claimed her bed as his own. Piddled several times on it and will poop on it every chance he gets. Thankfully he can't get out of the baby gate so far. :Knock on wood:

Latest posts

Back