There's something wrong with Roxie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monklover

Reaction score
I went out to feed Roxie and Buddy this morning and noticed that Roxie was still laying down when I fed her. It was not like her at all. Her ears were back and she kept shifting positions while lying down. She turned down a craisin- her favorite treat. I changed her litter box last night and her poos are good. The only thing that happenned last night, was thunder and lightning. I am thinking that is what scared her. It kept me awake all night. The thunder was LOUD. :(:(

Hannah is holding her right now and says that Roxie is holding on to her very tight.

~Megan:(:(

Feel her tummy - is it kind of hard? Do you have simethicone?

I would say to start with giving her a dose of simethicone (if you don't have any, you can get it at the drug store - look for baby gas medicine and check the medicinal ingredient - should be simethicone. I usually get Baby Ovol).

Give her 2 dropper fulls (about 1CC) and tummy rubs and keep her active and warm. Then you can give another dose every hour for 3 hours.

Gentle tummy massages - lower stomach area, just keep up a soft constant motion.

I'm betting gas if she was laying down pressing her tummy against the floor.

I also like to give some Nutrical (about a 1/2 inch long squirt for my 4lb bun) for an energy boost (can find it in pet stores in the cat aisle).

And then watch to see if she starts eating again. I also like to syringesome water or pedialyte if they are not drinking on their own at all, just for hydration.

If after 24 hours she is still nt eating on her own, then the big guns (and big syringe) come out for some Critical Care.

Nadia

How does her belly feel? Is it unusually mushy or tight? It's possible that she has a gas problem. I know that when my buns have had this they often press their bellies to the floor or stretch in an unusual way, as if they can't get comfortable. If it is gas, you can give her simethicone (baby gas meds) and gentle tummy massages.

Do you know if she was actually scared during the storm? My buns aren't usually bothered, but since Roxie is outside it might be more frightening.

Ok, I gave her some Mylicon and Some Smart Water. She ate a couple pellets and she is laying down again. Should I keep syringe feeding her smart water every once in a while?

maybe a bit every few hours if you see that she's not drinking on her own. Also don't forget the tummy rubs. That usually gets Misty burping (and farting...:?)

:)

Nadia

At this time I would focus on fluids more than food. Once it reaches 24 hours of no food, I would make a pellet slurry and syringe feed her.

Keep getting as much water into her as possible and continue giving her the gas meds.

Often times the fluids and gas meds will be enough to snap them out of the early stages of stasis.

--Dawn

Thank You! I will do that right now!

Roxie took her meds like a pro. She loves it. We also gave her smart water. How much water is too much? Right now I am giving her a tummy massage. Her tummy is very loud.

It sounds like gas.

I would give her another dose of the gas meds. Usually a second dose will help. I'm not sure how much water to give, will she drink it willingly? I would give her as much as she is willing to take by herself.

Yes she does drink willingly. I have been giving her gas meds for the past 4 hours. I give her a little less than .3 ML per hour. Is this enough?

Back