There's blood at Coco's private part

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha10ly88

Reaction score
I discovered red liquid at the tip of Coco's private part. It does look like blood. The colour red is really fresh n look a little orange. I have read a little that rabbit's urine can be red. Is that true?

Could it really be urine or blood? Btw ... Coco isonly4 weeks old.

Don't panic. Rabbit urine can vary from almost clear to yellow to bright red, with every color inbetween. Check the litter obx and see it the urine looks reddish.

Orange is a typical color, especially if you recently changed feed.

Oh great.

Now that my baby bunnies arealmost 4 weeks old ... what should they be feeding on? How many times a day should they milk from mommy?

At 4 weeks they should still be nursing once or twice a day from mom. I would not wean them off her until they are at least 6 weeks old.

Whatever you are feeding mom should be fine. Hay, pellets, water. I (personally) tend to limit fresh greens at this age.Their digestive system changes at this age, and they will use the nutrients they get as they need them.

Usually, red urine is a sign that they have extra tanin's, but since they excrete whatever they don't need, the color of the urine will change according to what they are using out of the nutrients they take in. It may last a few days and then lighten up.

As long as the babies are eating, drinking, peeing, poopingand behaving normally, I would not be overly concerned.

it is probably urine which has pigments that can turn the urine to an orangeish red that looks like blood.
Is he leaving spots of it in the house.? ifyou see the thicker red pool in the middle with watery liquid around it ...that would be blood.
if it is orangeish red or even with some white in it it is urine.
it is difficult at times to tell

Is he drinking enough fluids?

It's probably just urine, but I would check his privates carefully, to be sure he wasn't injured by one of his siblings. Or trying to explore.

Also make sure there isn't any swelling or other irritation in the area. Remember when naturestee's foster baby Zappa had syphillis? That is also a possibility. It's really rare, but if the mom has syphillis (vent disease) she can pass it on to the babies while cleaning them. Just keep an eye out for swelling over the next few days.

At his age, that is fine. Make water available to them. If you use a water bottle, make sure it is low enough for the babies to reach. If you use a crock or bowl, make sure the sides are low enough that the babies can get at it (and the water isn't so deep that they could fall in and drown!).

Yes, like BlueGiants said the babies should have water available. And they should have access to the mom's pellets and hay too. Baby buns will actually starttasting what their mom eats and drinks as early as when they open their eyes. By this age myfirst foster litter was already weaned (as the mama had another litterabout to be born). They ate and drank a ton.

Tonyshuman mentioned syphilis- if it's just a bit of colored liquid (likely urine) then syphilis isn't likely. My foster babies, especially Zappa who got it first, got swollen all around the genitals. It can also show upon the face and as scabs or sores. Thankfully it's easily treated with injected penicillin.

I suspect that the babies urine got a little concentrated because it was only on momma's milk. I'll bet it will go away now that they have access to water. And as Naturestee said, pellets wouldn't hurt at this age either. (Or whatever you feed the mother.)

BlueGiants wrote:
I suspect that the babies urine got a little concentrated because it was only on momma's milk. I'll bet it will go away now that they have access to water. And as Naturestee said, pellets wouldn't hurt at this age either. (Or whatever you feed the mother.)
Yea... Now that they have access to the water, their pees are less concentrated. Its more obvious that their pee are really pee and not blood. Thnx a lot everyone!!

Latest posts

Back