There's a little hedgehog in our house!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
I just had to post this quickly because I know some of you have seen on Facebook!

Last night, the security light came on in our garden. This usually means either cats or hedgehogs in the summer months. We couldn't see a cat, but we spotted a small hedgehog walking really slowly down by the hedge near the house. Steve knows someone who fosters hedgehogs so he knew that if they're too small, at this time of year, they can't be left outside on their own. He went out to have a closer look, and it was indeed pretty small. He didn't even try to move or run when we got near to him. We got him in the carrier and inside, and Steve dashed to the shops for some cat food.

He stayed the night in the carrier, with a snugglesafe heatpad, some food and water and a cosy towel, in our spare room. He seems healthy enough, except that he had some diarrhea last night and this morning, although he looks a little better now. Apparently that could either be the stress, the change in diet,etc. We were told initially by Steve's friend to feed him some goat's milk, when we thought he was much younger, which has now been removed. Supposedly it wont do any harm, but he doesn't need it, according to the rescue people.

Steve has contacted a local hedgehog rescue centre who put us in touch with a local fosterer for sick and baby hedgies. They both said that they could take him in, but they also feel that we're perfectly capable of looking after him and would do a good job with him. Either way he can't be released until he is at least 650grams, and then only when there's a mild spell of weather, so it could be that he'd end up staying until the spring! :shock: We're to talk about it tonight, whether it would be best for him to go to the fosterer/rescue or if it might keep some of the strain off them if he stayed with us. The only issue with that could be fleas, if he has them- he's completely separate from the rabbits but we need to think about that some.

For now though, Mr Prickle is safe and warm at least! He weighs 300grams right now, which is about 0.5 pounds I think.

Oh, and did I mention he is the cutest thing EVER?!!! SO CUTE!

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
In the UK you don't have Hedgehog's as pets???
It would be cool if you 2 kept Mr. Prickle until he can be released

We want pictures :)
African Pygmy Hedgehogs I believe (from my hours spent googling last night and this morning) can be kept as pets as they are bred in captivity etc, but there are regular wild hedgehogs that just wander into leafy gardens etc that aren't kept as pets- it wouldn't be fair since it's a wild animal.

Here he is! This is him last night, having a little nom:

IMG_2454.jpg

Too adorable! Can the rescue people at lease take a look at him to see if he has fleas and check his general health? You may get so attached by spring that you don't want to give him up.

He's gorgeus!
I've only seen a hedgehog once! There doesn't seem to be too many in my area. Lucky over there you have wildlife rescues, we have none. I think you should keep him till he can be realeased, but he probably should be seen by a vet, make sure he's healthy :)

Thanks everyone! Mr Prickle will love the comments :D It's a very unoriginal name I know, but it's better than Spike, which is what Steve wanted to name him. We never intented to name him, I just started calling him that as I was handling him...

Grace, that's a shame that there aren't any wildlife rescues around you :(. There's a fair few around here although I think they're always overstretched both with money and space sadly.

I've read that hedgehog fleas don't tend to live on any other animals, or bite humans so we should be relatively safe, but we've got hold of a safe flea treatment that we can use and we're going to go and get it shortly, along with some proper hedgie food, and kitten biscuits, which apparently are good for them to nibble and help put the weight on.

If he does stay for the winter (and it would be the winter only- I wouldn't ever keep him permenantly- he's a wild animal and I don't think it would be fair if he's healthy to confine him), and we haven't fully decided yet, we'll bring the old hutch that Mouse and Chalk lived in as babies and put that in the office/spare room for him to live in to have more space. Hmmm, lots to think about..... :ponder:

Well, I think we're mostly decided that Mr Prickle will stay for the winter! :D

We went and got him some special hedgehog meat flavoured biscuits, and some nicer chicken cat food that has more of a meat content than the Wiskas Steve grabbed as the shop was shutting last night. Hopefully that should be a bit healthier for him.

He woke up at about 7.30-8, and had a nice long feed. Then he did a lot of poo lol, but it looked a lot healthier than it did this morning! Whilst he was eating he was making little honking/squeaking noises, to about the same noise level that Dotty does when she cleans herself, so it was pretty loud! The cutest thing EVER!!

Tomorrow I'm going to make room in the office so we can bring the hutch in for him to live in. Ooh that's a point- it's a 2-storey hutch but we've lost the stair bit so I have to try and find it, or ask my dad nicely to build a new one!

We couldn't find the right flea treatment stuff but we've ordered it online along with Panacur- to worm him with according to the rescue centre.

I took a couple more pictures- will upload them now :)

Ok, some pics.

Here he is last night as soon as we got him in- I was trying to get a pic to show his size to send to the fosterer lady. He had a leaf stuck in his spines that I hadn't removed yet, bless him!

P1030593.jpg

And here he is tonight, just after eating- he turned round and stuck his nose in the towel and just kept on going- like he was walking into it! So cute :inlove: The first one shows his size against a carrier that would comfortably hold both Barney and Snowy:

P1030599.jpg

P1030600.jpg

P1030601.jpg

P1030603.jpg

:)

Thanks guys!

Mr Prickle has been coughing :( I've done some reading, joined a hedgehog forum (lol) and it sounds like it could be lungworm. :( It can be really bad, fatal in cases if not treated quickly enough and if the hedgehog is worn down enough. We're going to see about getting him to a vet ASAP tomorrow, and hope he's ok. He's not coughing a lot, just every now and then, and he's still eating and drinking etc ok, so hopefully we have time to get him cured. We were made aware that he's very young and he might not make it, so I'm sort of prepared for it, but even so, I have grown to care about him a lot in the past couple of days and would be so sad if he didn't make it :(

We got him a better cage this evening- on our local TradeIt site someone was advertising a large indoor rabbit cage for only £15. It's 80x50cm and I would never put a bunny in it but it's plenty of room for him. He's loving the fleecey bedding and snuggling right underneath his towel. :) We're using the Snugglesafe heat pad for him as well to make sure he keeps warm, given he's sick.

I took some more pictures of him but Photobucket has been playing up so I've only just managed to upload them, and we're off to bed now. I shall post them tomorrow when I get chance.

Keep Mr Prickle in your thoughts! :?

Awww... he's darling, Jen!

Not even a full 2 days, and you've joined a hedgehog forum :D

10 to 1 you'll have to build a little hedgie house in your back yard... I don't think he'll ever wander too far from your garden.
I will be sending the little fella good vibes.. hope he feels better soon!

Little update on Mr Prickle!

We went to the vets yesterday- our regular practice, and we saw a vet that has treated hedgies but doesn't consider himself an expert on them. He LOVED Prickle! He thought he was adorable! He was very surprised to see him so alert and bright and 'well'- he said that most hedgehogs that get brought in are either terribly injured by foxes, garden strimmers etc, or terribly sick and very close to the end. Prickle has a cough which is most likely lungworm but he doesn't think it's got too serious yet. He managed to look at his tummy by lifting his back legs whilst he was on the table and he's clear of ticks, etc and doesn't appear to have fleas.

We have- and you'll recognise this- Baytril and Panacur for him! You'd think it'd be difficult to administer meds to a hedgie but I've just been droppering it onto his food and offering it to him and it's being gobbled up- thank God I don't have to syringe feed him :shock:

He's very friendly- I picked him up yesterday to try and give him fluids as advised by the helpful people on the hedgehog forum and he didn't want any of it, but he did snuggle up into my dress and the towel I was holding him in and fall fast asleep! :inlove: So cute!

Apparently, according to my research, Panacur doesn't always do the job with lungworm but we've got the name of another wormer to try if he doesn't improve with this and the vet said he's willing to help if we need it, and willing to consult any books, rescuers etc available for information to treat him if needed.

I will post those pics asap I promise! :)

naturestee wrote:
HEDGIE PICCIES!!!!!!!
Awww, go on then! :D

These are from Thursday, when I had him in the bathtub whilst I was cleaning his cage, and then in the evening while I was setting up his new cage:

P1030605.jpg

P1030607.jpg

P1030610.jpg

Shy hedgie:

P1030638.jpg

P1030640.jpg

Hedgie ball!

P1030646.jpg

P1030647.jpg

P1030649.jpg

:D

Latest posts