There is something wrong with my rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
This morning, I was about to feed him his favorite pellets (which he can't ever resist), but I noticed something wrong... he only ate a little so I added hay, cabbage, and carrots maybe he will eat one of those, and I noticed another thing... When I started showing him his pellets, it's like he really wanted to eat it and started nibbling... I can't see him very well so I thought his nibbling. I think he is nibbling or just smelling it and so is the carrots and cabbage. I'm suspecting that it is Ileus or dental problems but I can't confirm it yet. I will research more about it and see later afternoon If he'd start eating. I am really worried, it's not like him, he always seems hungry because that's what rabbits do and he's not like that yesterday like he is eating not much hay since it's he's first time, he likes the wheatgrass I bought him (i can't give hum that today because it's gone and I'm waiting for it to regrow), and whenever he hears the sound of pellets he will come straight to me. I can't buy the critical care because there is none in my province it's rare to find rabbit approved vet in my country, and I'm also suspecting fur mites so I added apple cedar vinegar (2tbsp) in his water so he will get better. What should I do?

Last edited:
GI Stasis could be it. The early signs are no interest in food or water. Is your rabbit drinking? If he isn't doing either, there's a good chance it's GI Stasis. You should try to massage his belly, if there is a hard lump there. If you can't get to a vet or get Critical Care, then I would suggest massaging the belly, and trying to get him to drink, even if it's just a little bit.

This link should help if it is GI Stasis
https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
I would suggest Critical Care and a vet visit, but if you absolutely can't get either of those things, try everything above. If your rabbit starts eating again, it's a good sign.

If you find that the problem is not GI Stasis, and something else, try doing research to figure out the symptoms. You could always call an experienced rabbit vet, they don't have to be near you, and ask them to help. I hope this helps, I'm not a vet, but I tried my best. You're doing a good job now, hang in there.

I asked another bunny owner to try and help, I hope your rabbit gets better!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the response. I'm crying right now. 😭😭 when I got him his poop was normal but after I owned him, he's poop is getting abnormal so when I have fed him wheatgrass and hay his poop became normal again and it's a relief for me. I just saw him earlier trying his best to eat the carrot, pellets, cabbage, and hay but he can't, and I think he nibbled a little bit of the cabbage and I'm happy for. When I tried massaging him, I think I'm hurting him, I'm also trying my best to massage his belly. Right now he is sleeping with a loafed position and I will check on him later, I think my mom has a friend who is a vet so I will ask her later but right now my mom is at work because she is a nurse.

If he is running up and acting like he wants to eat but then stops, it sounds more like a dental problem. With GI stasis they are usually lethargic and uninterested in eating. I would suggest getting your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet asap before it develops into stasis as well.

In the meantime I would suggest to try offering soft foods like leafy greens, preferably ones your rabbit is used to. You can also make a pellet mush by soaking in warm water, and see if your bun will eat the softened pellets. It can't be left out long as it will mold, so it does need to be made up fresh each time.

If your bun still can't eat the softened food or is barely eating, you need to get your bun seen by tomorrow.

I agree with @Remy The Rabbit. These are probably early signs of GI Stasis. Has he pooped/peeded? Could you call your vet and schedule an appointment or ask your vet what to do? Has he pooped/peeded? Hang in there! Feel better little guy!
He did pooped but not yet peed, I just added apple cider vinegar to his water yesterday so I just let him get used to it since I'm also suspecting fur mites because he has a bald patch, no fleas, a little bit of dandruff, and itching. I love him so much that I would do anything for him. I will do my best to make him eat and drink. Thank you so much everyone for the support

If he is running up and acting like he wants to eat but then stops, it sounds more like a dental problem. With GI stasis they are usually lethargic and uninterested in eating. I would suggest getting your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet asap before it develops into stasis as well.

In the meantime I would suggest to try offering soft foods like leafy greens, preferably ones your rabbit is used to. You can also make a pellet mush by soaking in warm water, and see if your bun will eat the softened pellets. It can't be left out long as it will mold, so it does need to be made up fresh each time.

If your bun still can't eat the softened food or is barely eating, you need to get your bun seen by tomorrow.
As I said we don't have a rabbit approved vet since it's really rare, I will try your suggestion and I hope he will eat it since it's his favorite and he can't ever resist the scent and taste of it. And I will also ask my mom If she has a vet friend which I am 75% sure of it, of not I will ask her if her other friends has a friend who is a vet and know somethings about rabbits.

No problem! I hope he gets better, and like @JBun said, it could be a dental issue.

It is a good idea to ask a vet as well!

No problem! I hope he gets better, and like @JBun said, it could be a dental issue.

It is a good idea to ask a vet as well!
Yes I will ask my mom later and jbun's suggestion actually worked!!! He is eating the smushed pellets!! I'm so happy I knew it was a dental problem because he was trying to nibble the pellets, carrots, hay, and cabbage earlier.

He did pooped but not yet peed, I just added apple cider vinegar to his water yesterday so I just let him get used to it since I'm also suspecting fur mites because he has a bald patch, no fleas, a little bit of dandruff, and itching. I love him so much that I would do anything for him. I will do my best to make him eat and drink. Thank you so much everyone for the support
Don't add anything to the water. Apple cider vinegar does nothing. If he has fur mites he needs proper treatment. Possibly he is reacting to the grass. All fresh food has to be introduced in very small quantities. You need a rabbit vet. See if you can get an online consultation. Have you joined the Philippines rabbit group? Rabbit Lovers Philippines

Don't add anything to the water. Apple cider vinegar does nothing. If he has fur mites he needs proper treatment. Possibly he is reacting to the grass. All fresh food has to be introduced in very small quantities. You need a rabbit vet. See if you can get an online consultation. Have you joined the Philippines rabbit group? Rabbit Lovers Philippines
But it said In the internet "Apple Cider Vinegar keeps the rabbits immune system up also preventing urinary tract problems like infections and bladder sludge (this is caused from excess calcium) and promotes a less potent urine therefore reducing the smell. ACV keeps the rabbits body's ph regulated, clearing up skin conditions and infections. When a rabbit consumes ACV it makes them smell "off" to the fleas and is unattractive to them." I'm trying to enter that rabbit group and I never got any response, so there is no use of it. I will ask my mom if she has a friend vet. My rabbit seems to eat the smushed pellets with tiny cut cabbage and carrots but for dinner, he will be having tiny cut hay and cabbage, and smushed pellets. He can't also get into contact with his cecotropes and his poop is normal.

But it said In the internet "Apple Cider Vinegar keeps the rabbits immune system up also preventing urinary tract problems like infections and bladder sludge (this is caused from excess calcium) and promotes a less potent urine therefore reducing the smell. ACV keeps the rabbits body's ph regulated, clearing up skin conditions and infections. When a rabbit consumes ACV it makes them smell "off" to the fleas and is unattractive to them." I'm trying to enter that rabbit group and I never got any response, so there is no use of it. I will ask my mom if she has a friend vet. My rabbit seems to eat the smushed pellets with tiny cut cabbage and carrots but for dinner, he will be having tiny cut hay and cabbage, and smushed pellets.
Yeah, there is a lot of nonsense to be found on the internet... Try to join the group again. What is the problem? Are there question you need to answer? They will be able to help you find a rabbit vet. Carrots are not good except as a tiny piece every once in a while. Cabbage is not great either. Your bunny needs to be eating hay, lots of it.

Hello guys! Update on my yesterday's rabbit problem. So I gave Caramel his breakfast which is a little amount of pellets, cabbage, and a hand full of hay, he ate the hay first and I'm surprised... He can chew it and his teeth yesterday seems fine. I think his teeth is getting better even tough I don't know what problem did he had yesterday. He finished he's pellets first and ate a little bit of cabbage and a little bit of hay... Well that seems odd to me. What's your opinion?

Back