The vet says he needs surgery - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're so sorry for your loss. Over the years we've had several of our rescues grow old and leaves--some after a short while and some after a long while, but it's never easy. Rest in peace little man and binky free. You may want to hold off ridding yourself of his stuff even though it's a reminder of loss, but, there are many other sweet bunnies out there in need of a forever, loving home.

I would strongly suggest not getting rid of his things yet. Put them away if they're painful to see, but you may want them back (desperately) at some point and you can't have them back if you give them away. It may sound gross but I kept the little patch of bedsheet that Coco soiled when he was passing. After a few weeks I made a little tribute box with a few of his things in it, and that's one of them. It's very comforting to have those things.

I'm so sorry things went badly and know the pain and shock of that loss. Stomach surgery is a major surgery and I'm really surprised that he was sent home with you the same day rather than be kept for several days of intensive care and monitoring. Bunnies can become hypothermic or go into shock quickly after surgery (I almost lost one of mine that way after a spay, and that's considered more minor surgery).

Did the vet determine what the mass was? A necropsy can sometimes help ease your mind -- some of my friends found out on necropsy that their bunny had other problems they didn't know about, and it helped them to know they couldn't have done anything to save them.

I'm sure a local shelter or rabbit rescue would like his things. Or consider packing away and keeping his things for just a little while. Once you have lost your heart to a bunny, it's hard to live without one. After the initial pain and shock subside, you may feel a pull to give a lonely shelter bunny a home (I did, and I never thought I would). There is nothing like a new bunny for easing the heartache of losing one.

You could also keep just keep a few of the more special things and set up a memorial for him. The objects have become imbued with his spirit and in a day or a week may be a comforting way to feel connected to him, even though they're painful to look at right now. Doing some ritual or something formal to celebrate his having been in your life and to mark the transition to his next stage can help too.

My thoughts and tears are with you.

I am so, so sorry. Losing them is so hard but you have him such a wonderful life.
I'm also in agreement that giving his things away may not be a good idea right now. I totally understand not being able to look at everything so box it up for now. If you are unable to, is there someone in your family or a friend that can come help you?
Each time I lose a furbaby, I want to give their things away, but then later, when I've rescued another one, I find a lot of joy in seeing them love the toy/bed/whatever and it brings me happy memories.
Hugs!!!

I'm so so sorry. My heart & prayers go out for you. I'm sorry you lost your precious Bun Bun but you tried your best to do everything you could for him. I know it is hard right now with what seems an unbearable pain but I would keep his things boxed up until I was sure I was able to think clearly. As one of the other members has already said, it can help to have another bunny to love & love you. They can never take the place of the one we lost but they can fill that big void we have left when they are gone. I lost my first Quaker parrot & was devastated. It was another bird that helped me to get through that loss. It may help you with the loss of Bun Bun sometime in the future when you are ready. I was fortunate that my friend was wise & knew I needed another Quaker & despite my thinking & feeling like I wasn't ready she brought me another Quaker & he helped me through it. I pray that your pain eases & that you can find another love in your heart & life.

Thank you everyone for your support. It means the world to me. I went out into the yard with him wrapped in a towel and said my goodbyes, I gave him one last pet, just the way he liked it. I told him what an amazing friend he was . I took him to the vet and he said it was most likely a clot from surgery, or just the stress of the surgery was too much.. the vet decided to pay for the cremation for us which was very kind. I'm already going to have a reminder every time I get the bill for his surgery. The cremation comes with him in a cedar box, it will have his name engraved on it and they will make a plaster imprint of his paw for me. I have decided against giving his things away because you guys are right, I have lots of love to give and there's a Bunny out there who needs it, maybe not for a while because its just too soon but perhaps down the line.
When he was a year old, I got my first tattoo on my ankle which was a little picture of him. He is forever a part of me. Clementine (bun bun) you were an amazing friend. I will treasure you forever in my heart

I am so sorry for your loss :( Take comfort in knowing that you tried to help him and only did what you thought was best. That's all you ever can do.

So terribly sorry for your loss. The fact that you gave this little guy a great home and the best care possible is all you could do. Making sure he was safe, loved and cared for was all any bunny could ever ask for.

I know it stings right now...when my buns have passed, I always went through the "that's the last one" phase, but after a week or so, I start recovering and find another rabbit that needs me. When you're ready, please consider one of the many needy rabbits in rescues. You'll make a huge difference in his (or her life).

Again, my condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss...my thoughts are with you, bun bun was a fighter and will always live in your heart.

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I am so devastated to read this, I was really rooting for this little guy. I am crying now imagining your distress and sense of loss and watching my three boys spending time together and feeling so lucky to have them. I just can?t tell you how sorry I was to read this, I was sure he was going to pull through but sometimes it?s just too much for those little bodies. He had such a wonderful life and you did absolutely everything you could do. Don?t get rid of his things just yet, I still have some things from my little dog who went 8 years ago and looking and touching them makes me still feel close to her. I am sure there is some bunny out there just waiting for someone like you to give them a wonderful home and lots of love. Take your time and mourn his loss and remember that he was your little bunbun and he loved you so much.

I don?t know you but feel so deeply for your loss, sometimes I hate coming on RO because I have to read and share these things and it makes me so mad that they take them from us too quickly. Another bunny spirit crossing over that bridge, your little angel is free now and racing and binkying over that bridge.

Glad to hear your keeping his things and thinking of a future bunny. We all have our keepsakes. Commander Bun-Bun passed away more than 5 years ago--I had a pair of Levis she'd chewed on numerous times during the 6 years she was with us and they are still in the closet unworn since her passing. I don't want them to get worn out as it's my only connection to our very first and one of the greatest buns--she's the reason we've rescued 37 bunnies over the years.

Thank you everyone for your support. It means the world to me. I went out into the yard with him wrapped in a towel and said my goodbyes, I gave him one last pet, just the way he liked it. I told him what an amazing friend he was . I took him to the vet and he said it was most likely a clot from surgery, or just the stress of the surgery was too much.. the vet decided to pay for the cremation for us which was very kind. I'm already going to have a reminder every time I get the bill for his surgery. The cremation comes with him in a cedar box, it will have his name engraved on it and they will make a plaster imprint of his paw for me. I have decided against giving his things away because you guys are right, I have lots of love to give and there's a Bunny out there who needs it, maybe not for a while because its just too soon but perhaps down the line.
When he was a year old, I got my first tattoo on my ankle which was a little picture of him. He is forever a part of me. Clementine (bun bun) you were an amazing friend. I will treasure you forever in my heart

I don't even know you, but I am crying along with you. I lost my Ernie Bun a few years ago, and your post made me remember the pain I felt when I found her lying motionless in her cage. I think I was more devastated with her passing than I was when my kitty passed. Something about those sweet buns that melts your heart. I'm so very sorry for your loss. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers today.

thank you so much everyone for your kind words. its been really tough. i never knew the joy and love a bunny could bring into your life. my house feels so quiet and empty without his little noises and energy. I told myself that i wouldnt be able to replace him and i never will, He was special. such a little character. I have been thinking all weekend and I have decided, when the time feels right, yes i will get another little bunny. Bun Bun was a mix between a hottot and a dwarf and he was perfect. I would want another like him, he was so full of life and personality. It would be awesome if you guys could give me a little more info on the different types of bunnies you guys have as well. maybe Im missing out on an awesome rabbit.

This is so beautiful, a special bunny angel with beautiful words to accompany him. A fitting tribute to your special little guy.

I have a cross angora with some hotot as he has one black eye ring and one brown. He is such a sweet little bunny and has never had a bad day.

I also have two netherland dwarfs who are just such characters. Houdini is high energy, always into things and a real little escape artist. Snowy is my little cuddlebun but with a bad ass attitude. Butter wouldn´t melt in his mouth but he´s a nippy little so and so when he wants to be. You can read all about them on my blog if you want to get to know them better.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/three-musketeers-72101/

I love this forum and so enjoy reading about everyone´s buns, there is such a variety and I tell you, they are all so different. But I lose a bit of my heart everytime I read about the passing of one of these beloved little bunnies but it makes me enjoy and appreciate mine so much more each day that they are with me.

I have 3 buns, one is a mix and a rescue, another male Holland and a female Dutch. The mix is a lost cause as she was rescued wild and has never bonded with her human friends. The Holland, Toby, is a mellow dude and he loves to be pet and nuzzled. But Ziggy, man, our little Dutch is smart and playful and sassy! she is a complete joy to be around. Her high energy and playful spirit make her a perfect bun. She loves to sit on the couch and watch tv and runs up and down the stairs meanwhile doing her silly lil binks along the way. She was also a rescue and I have to admit, I might always get Dutch bunnies. They are also very well known for their personalities.

Whatever you choose, and whenever you are ready, you will make the right choice. Take your time, that way you know you will have a bun you truly are ready for and love to pieces.

Still thinking of you and hoping you are coping better every day.

Back