The TSC Flemmie mix with the broken leg..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
I just wanted some input.. Rusty my vet is kinda been MIA as of late.. so as soon as he is back from his vacation, I will ask.

As many of ya'll know, I rescued a flemmie mix from TSC after Easter. Here is the original thread..

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34431&forum_id=1

He has had surgery, had some pins put in. He can hop on it, but it's stiff.. like kinda frozen in place. I suspect it didn't heal right.

He uses the foot, scratch's his ears with it, binky's and plays. But, he also chews his toenails on that foot to bloody nubs. If I don't keep vet wrap on it.. he will chew and chew and chew.

I suspect that he is lacking in feeling in that foot, despite the fact that he uses it. I assume I wouldneed to have the leg repaired, but frankly, after the first go round and $600, and the fact that he is using it, I am inclined to let him be, BUT, lets say he lives for the next 10 years. He has the vet wrap on, but he hates it.. I can't have him gnawing on it all the time.

Let's say I am correct and he has no feeling in it, is this a temp thing, like when I got my plastic surgery, and I was de sensitized for a spell, till it heals?

Any input is appreaciated..

It may also be a case of hyper sensitivity.
Phantom itches, pain, tingling, etc., can often occur after surgery and during healing.

Poor thing! I hope you find a solution but I think Jim's thoughts or yours are going to be the answer... regardless, something has to give.

How long has it been since the surgery? If he doesn't stop chewing on his foot in another month or two, whenever your vet thinks he should be well past healed, it may be that the leg needs to be amputated. Yes, buns can live just fine with three legs although I'm sure it's a rough surgery. It might be better than living with a constantly numb/sore leg that he feels the need to mutilate.

Is he on any pain meds right now? Some Metacam or Tramadol might make him feel better and stop chewing on his foot.

At least he doesn't chew through the vet wrap...

It's only been since March 16th or so when he had his surgery.

I just keep it wrapped.. I will know more when Rusty is back... I just wanted some input not only for my knowledge, but to also help anyone who may be reading this now, or have use of it in the future..

I really do appreciate ya'lls input.

Z

naturestee wrote:
How long has it been since the surgery? If he doesn't stop chewing on his foot in another month or two, whenever your vet thinks he should be well past healed, it may be that the leg needs to be amputated. Yes, buns can live just fine with three legs although I'm sure it's a rough surgery. It might be better than living with a constantly numb/sore leg that he feels the need to mutilate.

Is he on any pain meds right now? Some Metacam or Tramadol might make him feel better and stop chewing on his foot.

At least he doesn't chew through the vet wrap...
I agree, so I don't have anything more to add.

Latest posts

Back