the story of Dustin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HototMama

Reaction score
meat Dustin. he is an 8 day old french lop kit. he is was born with 6 other brothers and sisters. Dustin is the smallest in the litter and was not getting the food he needed. so i made sure that everyday he would get some extra food from his mom, who is not all to friendly. well, yesterday i was feeding Dustin and mom freaked out and kicked him with her powerful back feet. he now has a large cut starting at the base of his back curving to the inside of his hind leg. when i first saw it my first thought was that i would have to put him down. but after a closer look i thought maybe, just maybe i could help him. i got him all cleaned up and put some butterfly bandaids on him (most did not stick because of the blood) and he is now in my room with a heat lamp over him. tell you the truth last night i was not expecting to find him alive this morning. but sure enough. he is alive and well. i have been feeding him with a different, smaller breed mom who i recently pulled her kits from so she has lots of milk all for him. because he is so week i have to feed him about 3-4 times a day.

i named him/her Dustin because it means Valiant fighter, and i thought that was pretty fitting. :sickbunny:
WARNING! pics are graphic!
001.JPG

Untitled.png

004.JPG

003.JPG

Please get little Dustin to a vet ASAP, as Watermelons has said. That's not a small cut at all; the poor little guy. I hope he pulls through.

:pray:

sorry, the vet is not an option around here.he is doing great right now. eating well and is starting to heal up.

I think the humane thing to do would be to put him to sleep. his entire abdomen is hanging out and he could develop a severe infection if not treated properly.. a trained professional needs to treat him. he most likely needs stitched up, if they would even do that. raising a rabbit kit is hard enough on it's own, let alone one that's severely injured.. I'm so sorry this happened.

When you say not an option, what do you mean? Even if you can't find a vet who deals with rabbits specifically, any vet should be able to help clean out the wound and stitch it up, I would think. It would likely be the best thing for Dustin.

look, i have dealt with something like this 3 other times before and all of the kits lived. i am my own vet around here. when i say i live out on the middle of no were i mean i live out on the middle of no where. Dustin is doing very well this morning. he is starting to scab up and i am going to put him back in with his mom tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Awww. Poor little baby. I'm glad that he is going well. Sucks that there is no vet near bye. Hoping everything goes well. ;)

Dustin is in my thoughts, I'm so glad to hear he's healing. Please keep us updated.

what are you using to treat the gash and keep out infection? do you have any way to get any medical ointment meant for things like this?

lol, i can even name all of them meds i have in my room right now. lets just say i am always prepared. but right now i am using hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment.

you seem to know what you're doing, but hydrogen peroxide can kill healthy tissue as well as damaged tissue, if it were me I would use sterile water and an antibiotic ointment. hope everything goes okay!

yes, i know that is a con of HP but it was worked well for me in the past. i moved Dustin back in with his mom and i have not had to feed him in the last 2 days. his healthy, round tummy is coming back. and the cut is now scabbing up :woohoo

will more pics of of him soon!

Latest posts

Back