The rabbits moved to the backyard!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry but I don't think it's acceptable for rabbits to be living outdoor in an NIC cage.

My rabbits live in a strong wooden playhouse outdoors, and I still worry about their safety.

And I worry about them with the heat too, and that's with a UK climate, I can't imagine what it would be like in a Californian climate.

I've kept out of this so far, but please can you sort something else out? For the rabbits' sake.

I am in absolutely no way against housing them outdoors, I have two outside myself, just as long as it is done properly.

what if i were tohave a fence around the cage? or move it to an area with a fence around it (with a door), but its still outdoors?

Predators, such as raccoons can EASILY climb a fence.

Trust me I am NOT against outdoor rabbits, I have one myself, but unless the cage is made for outdoors (even some like that aren't even adequate) you are putting the bunnies at severe danger.

I hope you find a solution soon :(

Good luck :)

I've done a bit of Google searching for you. Here are a couple links to look into:

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/rabbit/housing.php

http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/index.asp

http://www.furandfeather.co.uk/oldlatestissue001.pdf

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/rabbithome.htm

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/rossrabbits/housing.htm

The main factors in housing out doors are protecting from the weather and predators. NIC cages don't help with either of those. If you want to keep the rabbits outside, you will most likely have to build an outside enclosure as most store bought solutions are too small and weak.

In the end, housing outside requires more work and diligence than inside. Changing water has to be more frequent, you have to check the enclosure daily for signs of structural weaknesses.

Housing outdoors is possible, and many members do house outdoors successfully, but it is a lot work.

Take some time to read up on outdoor housing and then you will know what type of enclosure you will need.

Housing outside is more common in the UK, so you may have more luck finding information in websites from the UK.

--Dawn

Here is a page from Rabbit Rehome that shows pictures of good outdoor housing, http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/hutch.asp

Keep in mind though, they are designed for the UK, where we don't have very many predators, or extreme weather conditions (usually).

If you want more information about this feel free to PM me, and I'll be more than happy to help.

Buns that live outside must have safe/sturdy hutches to live it. And they should have an enclosed sleeping box within the hutch.

Hutches would be best placed in the shade...Buck mounted his hutches on wheels so he could move them around into the shade during the day. He even had storm windows for the winter months.

If they have access to a run, it should be completely enclosed...including the top. And they should have a "safehouse" (in addition to their hutch) within the enclosure where they can escape from danger.

IMO....NIC cages would not be safe for an outside bunnie.

~Jim

Outdoor housing needs to be very sturdy, tongue & groove or another strong type ofwood, strong hinges, bolts and predator-proof wire. There are several threads floating around on outdoor housing with pictures if you need ideas. Honestly though, my buns have lived outdoors their whole lives and a nic cage is nowhere near safe enough for a bun to live in outside.:?

(sigh) This is not good. They can't be housed outside in a NIC cage hun. It's too dangerous. A NIC cage is meant only for bunnies that are being housed inside.

No one has anything against you housing them outside, but you have to know all the facts. One of which is the NIC cage is unacceptable. Please please take the advice of everyone on here that has outside buns.

If you are going to keep them outside, that is fine, but you HAVE to get them a better sturdier cage and you have to monitor them constantly for signs of distress due to the weather.

Nadia

This is the first time I've read this thread, but I feel the need to reply :(

I successfully house 15 rabbits outside, and have housed them there for nearly 20 years (yikes, that's a long time).

Equally, I have housed rabbits inside, in the porch, and also in my room.

Housing them outside is far harder than inside because, like everyone says, you have to be far more vigilant for a lot of things.

My bunnies get extra shades, frozen water bottles, fans if necessaryplastics for the cold weather, tarpaulin over the stupid hutch that leaks so that it doesn't leak, etc.

Your bun is very vulnerable to the elements from what has been said. What happens if you get freak rain? Your bun will probably end up very ill. (and that's in addition to all the advice/comments you are getting about heatstroke).

Housing them in a fumefilled garage is also not sensible because that can ahrm their airways, so you need to try and find another solution. Be it getting a decent hutch/run/heat measuresfor outside, or something totally different.

I may have missed it, so I apologise if I have, but not anywhere have I seen you say that it is an NIC cage. Are you avoiding the issue? Please be honest with us, and take the advice. Your bunny doesn't deserve to be raccoon feed, die from heat stroke, flooded out, or anything else that could happen.

test - ignore, something funky was going on with this thread. Seems OK now.

the reason i didn't mention the NIC cage part is because most people I've talked to on this forum already know it. i'm not trying to avoid any issue (although i'm not really sure what you mean by avoiding) or anything of that sort. it's just that at this point i can't afford to get an outdoor hutch for them or have them live indoors.

i know that my rabbits don't deserve all that horrible stuff you mentioned, and i really feel bad and sorry for those who worry about my rabbits. i don't want to give them up and this is basically all i can offer right now.

i know that most if not all of you know more about rabbits than i, and i know that you care a lot about rabbits. and that makes me feel so sad and guilty.

if you guys can think of a solution, then please do tell me.

thanks.

Hmmm, i can understand your frustration.

I think you've really only got a few options. You can build or buy an appropriate outside hutch/enclosure. Or you can find somewhere for them to live inside the house.

Do you have a mud room or a closet or any empty place that you could convert to a bunny cage? I don't know how big your closet in your bedroom is, but with a bit of creativity, you could turn the bottom of your closet into a bunny enclosure. Take a look at Undergunfire's blog to see how she had her's set up: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=19209&forum_id=6

Can you put the cage on a stand or table so it's not taking up floor space?

I'll keep thinking about options for you...

--Dawn

HiCookieNCream,

I would vote for a closet for the buns, or maybe even a bath room?? you have a NIC cage, right? why not take it apart and put it back togetherto adjust tothe shape of the room? that way, you can also avoid 'not gettingthrough the door' issue. if the closet is small, you can always gohigher (isn't 3D great??), just make sure the ramps are sturdy so that they can climb/jump up and down. i am sure they will love that too!

you can also use a tall gate to block the closet door or bathroom door so that the dog would not get to the buns. that way, you can keep the doors open and they can get the air circulation.

all the people here love bunnies, care about your bunnies and hate to see anything bad happen to them. please don't take it personally.

Like Maomaochiu said, if the space is small, you can always go higher. This is a really good idea. Can you devote even half a closet to your bunny? I found a website showing a really good example of a person who had limited space, so she made the NIC cage 2x2 and 4 high. Her bunnies look happy in the pictures. www.geocities.com/[email protected]/condo Also look at her hayrack in the first picture at the top of the cage. I thought that was a rather good idea, though it might be a bit messy. :) Is there a laundry room or a bathroom or a closet you can use? There has to be someplace that can fit a 28 inch by 28 inch cage. Please, look all around your house for a place. Walk around with a tape measure if you have to! ;) Please do this for your rabbit.:brownbunny

If you have no other choice than to move them outside, you'll need to re-enforce the NIC cage. Make sure everything is double zip-tied, make sure the door is VERY secure and has a fastener that will keep it closed if something tries to get in (or out). I would also re-enforce the corners with wood....and then wrap the whole thing in a fairly fine mesh metal (common name is "wire cloth") like 1/2" X 1/2"....comes in rolls at most hardware/home improvement places & some garden places.
It would be good to raise the entire cage off the ground, too.
Make sure there a good solid top to keep the weather and sun off them.
Put the whole thing inside the fenced are you already have....and try to come up with a way to enclose the top of the fenced area, too.

Good luck!

Hi CookieNCream, How are the buns doing outside? Did they get through the hot weather alright? I'm not sure where in California you live, but we had a heatwave here down in the Valley.
Did you find a way to strenghten and weatherproof their cages? Or did your parents let you move them inside?
Just wondering how you all are doing.

Back