The rabbits moved to the backyard!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieNCream

Reaction score

Well it was initially my moms idea who thought being animals and not seeing much light's really really mean. And the bunny poop was all over the garage and the car fume, too. :?

SO! On Sunday we moved the cage to the backyard! It's starting get hot here in Southern Cali, and even more in the garage, so we moved it to the backyard where they can get some sun and fresh air.

And Cream did a dash around the garage this morning. But sorry no pics :(! My camera's battery went out :grumpy:

Well I thought I'd let you guys all know! :dude:I'm putting in little cloth things to keep my bun warm at night (though it doesn't get very cold...I sleep with window open and blankets kicked, hehe).

In addition to the extra protectionof thesmaller fencing(for which I have someone very special to thank ;)), big animals can't get into even the area near the cage. Only small ones like mice or raccoons or whatever that really can't get to the rabbits anyway.

:bunnydance:Yujin and the Buns

Yikes! The cold isn't a problem, it's the heat!

Bunnies are VERY prone to heat stroke, please don't leave them outside! The sun can kill a bunny in an hour or less.

And raccoons can break into a cage in seconds flat, and they will.

sas :shock:

PS: They would love to have SUPERVISED time outside in a well-fenced area with lots of covered areas for protection, although you still have to really watch carefully for hawks and other birds, who can (and will) snatch a little bunny from right in front of you).

sas

Nice to see you online again and it is nice to hear an update. Hope we can see pictures soon.

I thought I'd share with you that today was a somewhat "mild" day here in Texas....I think it was maybe only 90 or so when we went to the feed store today...

....but there were rabbits outside in cages and one was definitely struggling with heat stroke. We were able to rescue it and bring it home (ok - so we paid for it too)...but I was concerned that he could die if he didn't cool down soon. I am concerned the same thing can and will happen to your rabbits as I suspect your temperatures are much like ours.

If I remember right - you have NIC cages - right? If so - those should NEVER EVER EVER be used outside as a main cage. First of all, they aren't sturdy enough against things like rain and wind. Secondly, a raccoon can break into them VERY fast and they can and will tear animals apart. I know we have younger members on this forum and I hate to be so blunt..but that is a fact.

On top of that, raccoons can cause health issues - I have seen discussions on this recently on Etherbun but I forget now what it was. I didn't pay attention since we don't have raccoons in our area...but they can be deadly to a rabbit if the rabbit ingests their droppings or something.

Please - rethink this decision. This is NOT a good one. While a little bit of sunshine and fresh air is a good thing.....and can be fine with adequate protection...the cages you currently have are NOT adequate and I fear you are in for heartache.

Peg

I have to agree with the others, outside is too hot! We have a really nice and large hutch outside, but once it hits the mid 80's the buns move indoors to their equally nice and large cages. We had them out when 80 was the high, and we would put water bottles that were frozen in with them so they could lay near them during the heat of the day (their cage was in the shade 24/7 and get lots of ventilation so they did fine) but higher than that, nope, inside they come!

Jessi

I live in Southern California- in Escondido, an inland community north of San Diego.

Last summer, we experienced record heat waves in July and August, with temperatures reaching 115 degrees F.

As a volunteer at the Humane Society, I heard countless stories from sadder but wiser people who had housed their bunnies outside and had those bunnies die in the heat.

Is there any way of persuading your mom to let you keep your bunnies in the house?

Rabbits housed outside are not only "prey" to raccoons, they can die from predator stress of a hungry animal circling their cage. Why do this to your treasured pet? How about a hungry bear or lion ripping into your camp tent to eat you alive?

Bunnies being snatched by overhead predators is just as horrific. Once you find a spot to move them indoors, safely in a cool environment, you'll comprehend all the joys of owning a companion rabbit.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Rabbits housed outside are not only "prey" to raccoons, they can die from predator stress of a hungry animal circling their cage. Why do this to your treasured pet? How about a hungry bear or lion ripping into your camp tent to eat you alive?

Bunnies being snatched by overhead predators is just as horrific. Once you find a spot to move them indoors, safely in a cool environment, you'll comprehend all the joys of owning a companion rabbit.

There are many members on the board that house their rabbits outside. Outdoor rabbits can be just ashappy or well taken care of than an indoor rabbit, but requires a different kind of work and a different way of thinking. The most important part of doing this is ensuring they have an enclosure that is safe against predators and from the weather.

Cookie'n'Cream has always housed her rabbits inside and has only recently moved them outside. I think the more important thing here is making sure they are safe and secure (and not too hot).

Hi everyone! :)

Sorry for the late update. I was too busy with my mom's place's summer school thing, didn't have much time to check up on this.

Wow, I didn't know that rabbits could suffer heat strokes! We see rabbits hopping around in the day time all the time! :shock:

Because of my dog I can't keep the rabbits inside. But as for moving them out of the garage...the garage is usually hotter! So are you talking about the sunlight? The cage (now) has its back to a wall, so usually there's a shade. But as for the heat in itself, it's worse in the garage.

Suggestions? I guess I'm basically asking which is worse: dusty hot dark garage vs. outdoors where they can get heat stroke...:(Well I know the rabbits deserve more but I can't afford to do that right now...I would very much like to KEEP them to the best of my ability.

Help and thanks!

This is from Carolyn and Pam:

---------

I thought I'd create a whole new post just sothat people who missed it, could see it.Pamnock hasonce again given us great information. Iadded somehints/signs as to what you should watch out for.

Rabbits do not take the heat well, and caution to be taken not to let them play in the sun on warm/humid days.

Heat should keep it in the forefront of our minds each day.The weather here went from 79 degrees on Monday to 92 degrees onTuesday. I check the weather daily to be sure thatas the day progresses and I'm not there, the rabbits are able to staycool.

Obviously you don't want your rabbit or his/her cage to be in the sunas you can lose them quickly if exposed to it more than a minute ortwo.

Here's info on keeping rabbits cool:

Air movement is required for proper cooling in very humid areas ormoisture cannot evaporate. While many say to never blow a fan directlyon the rabbit, I recommend it when it's extremely hot and humid. Placethe fan a distance from the rabbit and have it gently blowing over thehot bunn. A little water can be placed on the ears, which serves tocool as it evaporates.

Understanding how the rabbit cools itself helps us to provide the most comfortable environment for our rabbits:

The rabbit is cooled by 3 primary factors: Respiration, Ears and Nasal Mucosa.

80% of heat dissipation in rabbits occurs through the evaporation ofmoisture during respiration (breathing). Fans help this cooling processby speeding evaporation.

Cooling also occurs through nasal mucosa (by air passing over mucous membranes).

The ears are also important for cooling as the blood moves to the farthest (coolest) points away from the body core.

The rabbit will also stretch it�s body out as far as possible to coolthrough radiation/convection. Rabbits do not have functional sweatglands, and only loose a small amount of moisture through the skin dueto perspiration. The rabbit�s fur further inhibits the process of therabbit being able to cool itself by evaporation of moisture from theskin.

Since the rabbit cools primarily through respiration, we want toprovide air movement throughout the cage to evaporate the moisture fromthe rabbit's breath. In a serious situation of heat stress, you willnotice moisture around the rabbits face (especially around the mouthand nose) because the moisture is not evaporating.

A frozen bottle may be of only limited help without the proper air movement and evaporation.

Pam Nock

Tips for prevention of Heat Stroke:

Heatstroke can kill a rabbit very quickly. Some things thatyou can do to prevent such an untimely and unnecessary death for yourlagamorph are listed below.

1) Be sure to provide your rabbit shade. Rabbits can getsun/heat stroke just by having their cage in the sun. Best tobe sure the location of the cage is away from where the sun rays willbeam in.

2) Don't subject your rabbit to extreme temperatures: hot or airconditioning. Air conditioning can be used, butit's best to have your rabbit in a separate room so that the roomdoesn't get too cold or the air isn't blowing on the rabbit.

3) Be sure they have a lot of water; they tend to drink more in the summer to stay cool.

4) You can use a fan. I like toaimthefanso that the air will reach part of the cage, but if therabbit feels it's too much,s/he can move out of theway. If you're going to keep your fan on all day, best tokeep it on low.

5) If the rabbit is indoors, on really hot days Iclose the shades to keep out as muchheat as possible.

6) If the rabbit is outside, you may want to mist the ears a bit in the heat of the afternoon.

7) Some people fill old milk cartons or soda bottles with cold waterand put them in the cage with their rabbit so that s/he can lean upagainst it if it gets very cool.

80 degrees fahrenheit or above is dangerous for a rabbit.

SYMPTOMS/SIGNS OF DANGER OF HEAT STROKE:

1) Rabbit is laying stretched out

2) Panting or heavy breathing

3) Sometimes there's foaming at the mouth

4) Muzzle is wet

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

1) Get the rabbit to a cool area. Get a fan, and put it on him/her with a speed of medium or low.

2) You can dip your rabbit in a Lukewarm bath if it is almostlifeless. Dip up to the ears. Never immerse the rabbit completely inthe water. You have to work on bringing its temperature downslowly. Putting it in a cold bath or directly applying ice to it's earsis not recommended or good for the rabbit. That couldlead into other problems of stress and shock to its system and youcould lose the rabbit that way.

3) Put a cold washcloth on the rabbit's ears. You could wrap ice cubesin a washcloth and apply to the inside and outside of the ears. Theblood from the rest of the body will circulate into the rabbit's systemonce cooled.

4)Keep him/her hydrated, even if you have to put some waterin a syringe to keep the fluids in his system up. The rabbit may haveto get an intravenous tube.

5) Try to keep calm so that the rabbit doesn't get stressed.

6) Put an old milk carton or soda bottle in the cage filled with cold water so that the rabbit can lean up against it.

Happy Summer!

-Carolyn

Is there a reason you cant keep them in your bedroom and just block it off so your dog cant come in? Or so your dog only comes in when you are there supervising?

I am really concerned for your bunnies to be outdoors in an NIC enclosure, but it also frightens me to think of them in a garage with little ventilation/air circulation.

You either really need to move them inside (arent there any spare rooms/walk in closets where they could live?) or find them more adequate outdoor housing. Those NIC panels are not meant to survive either the elements of predators that could potentially harm your rabbits.

BTW, I'm don't have a problem with keeping rabbits outside at all, it's just that they have to be well protected from predators and the elements.

Going by the first post with the references to giving them some sun and not being worried about the racoons, that didn't appear to bethe case!

Sorry I was too rushed to explain that!

sas :)

In follow-up to sas' and Haley's posts on outdoor housing, please also think about exposure not only to the elements and predators, but to wandering individuals with malicious intentions. I know of two individuals who lost their bunniesbecause someone (stranger or trespasser) opened the housing door and took it.The mutilated bodies were found elsewhere. Be careful on how much "in view" an outdoor housing unit could be.

Right before I began typing, one of the rescues jumped to the top of the 36" Exercise pen, hanging on with her paws, ... " hmm, how do I get my nose over the top. Maybe on the next leap! "

I usualy take my bun out for walks during the summer and brings a mist-bottle with me incase of emergency. Sometimes if its really hot and im planning to sit on a hill in the park or something ill bring and ice back and babii withh lay right ontop of it lick the droplets. and usually when we get back in the house ill give here a mini ice cube and she gnaws on it as it slids from one side to the other.

Oh and 2 more suggestions...actually 3.

-Do you have a basement, or a seperated laudry room. im sure the bun would have long chats with the washer and dryer.

-A renovated atick (sp) like one that is almost room like.

-A front porch?

Latest posts

Back