The Purpose of the Infirmary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm writing this not nearly as much as a moderator as I am a long term member of this forum - but I hope that folks will still read and listen and consider what I'm saying.

The purpose of the infirmary is to help people when they have health issues with their rabbits. We have moderators who have medical or scientific training or who are active on rabbit lists where medical issues are discussed. Some of them have been active on those lists for years and have read a lot of research. The infirmary is where we ask them to help out with threads because of their knowledge and insight.

Frequently people come up with issues where a vet visit is highly recommended. In an ideal world, we would all have money at the time that we need to have a vet visit or we would all have the type of credit that would allow us to use credit cards or get care credit.

Unfortunately - in this world and our economy - that is sometimes just a fantasy situation. There are people who may be facing foreclosure - or people who lost their job - or a young person whose parents are not supportive of the idea of treating rabbits.

Not everyone does research ahead of time to know the needs of rabbits and not everyone has the money saved available for a vet visit. Yet this forum - and the infirmary are there to support them too.

So I am asking - both as a moderator and as a member - that if you're posting in the infirmary you ask yourself first...

"Is my post either educational about the problem or encouraging the person in some way?"

Suggestions for how to raise funds for a vet visit are also helpful.

But as a moderator - I have heard complaints about recent topics and how harsh people have been.

So I guess the recommendation that I have is from that classic movie of Bambi....

"If you can't say something nice...don't say anything at all."

I think it is also good to say that it the focus should be on helping the rabbit. While we may not agree with what the person is doing or not doing, harassing them and pointing out every little thing can make it worse. If someone is new to the forum and asking for help, berating them about not going to the vet is more apt to get the to leave the forum rather than seek the help that is needed. You can do more help by keeping them here to learn rather than drive them away.
Before you post, ask yourself if what you are trying is going to help the rabbit. If the answer is No, reconsider posting.

TinysMom wrote:
So I am asking - both as a moderator and as a member - that if you're posting in the infirmary you ask yourself first...

"Is my post either educational about the problem or encouraging the person in some way?"

Suggestions for how to raise funds for a vet visit are also helpful.

I couldn't have put it better.

If you can't help with suggestions for the medical issue, then focus that energy on researching financial assistance options that may be available for the owner.

I could not have put it better myself Peg. I have read some negative comments in some of the threads. They have offended me.

Also I would like to add that if you are going to post a comment to a thread, put yourself in that OP place and think about how you would feel about the comment if it was directed at you.

That is how I do it, I think about what I am going to say and how it will sound to the other person before I post. If I have anything negative to say, I don't say anything at all or I take it to PMs, that way it is just between me and the OP and they are not getting publicly bad-mouthed in front of everyone.

I love this forum! Everyone is very knowlegeable and helpful.

BTW: Sweetie and Prince say "Hello" to everyone!

I always try to encourage people to do the right thing for their furry friend.

Amen-this definetly needed to be said! Thanks for posting! :clapping: :goodjob

Back