The place you live in

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
We were driving round Bristol earlier, and I got to thinking that there are quite a few landmarks that Bristol is quite famous for. Ok, so maybe not across the globe famous, but all the same....

There's the Clifton Suspension Bridge:

home_r1_c5.jpg

Clifton.bridge.arp.750pix.jpg

The SS Great Britain:

195985961_f743afd030.jpg

Both were built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

About 40 minutes away, is the city of Bath, which has the famous Roman baths...

It just got me thinking that we drive past these places etc all the time, but I don't really think about them too much.

It's a bit of a random thread, but I thought people could post about their local area, what it's famous for, and perhaps pictures! :D

a few miles down the M5 and im on Dartmoor. Any Agatha Christie fans will have heard of Torquay or Burgh Island. A bit further on and you come to Bodmin Moor and Jamaica Inn - du Maurier country:biggrin2:

im tempted to include the M5 itself given how its traffic jams in the summer seem to make the news:rollseyes

I live near Washington, DC which is beautiful right now! The cherry blossoms are in full bloom!

JennJenn wrote:
I live near Washington, DC which is beautiful right now! The cherry blossoms are in full bloom!

We were there this week, they were beautiful!

I've been trying to think of what this area would be famous for. I'm still thinking. I'll come up with something LOL.

Beautiful pictures Jen.

LOL Leaf.... It is quite high really! I still, to this day find it amazing that it's only suspended and there's no pillars or anything.... I know that's the whole point of it, being called the 'Suspension Bridge' and all, but even still... It's SO pretty lit up at night as well. There is a really high fence on either side now because of so many suicides that have happened there :(

I've heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! :)

And JennJenn we've always wanted to go to DC!

Oh, and I didn't take those pictures- I just found them off the internet last night lol :blushan:

OK we figured it out but I don't have any pictures - but I could probably find some. Where we live is the Maple Syrup capitol of Ontario - and also home of the Rideau Canal which at the time it was built was an engineering masterpiece.

Well since I live in a teeny town that no one knows about there isn't many landmarks. There are some but I don't remember what they are called.

But one sorta landmark thingy is the new Great Wolf Lodge that is practically in my back yard.

Sacramento being the capital of California, there is of course the Capitol building

sacramento_capitol.jpg

and the Capitol park around it, which has trees from around the world, including this one, which was grown from seeds that went into space on the Appolo 14 mission!

sacramento_tree.jpg

There's also Sutter's Fort, which dates back to the Pioneer days, when settlers first came west to California.

sut.jpg

There's also Old Sacramento, a restored portion of the old town, and the California Railroad Museum.

Tonbridge Castle:

58221027.TonbridgeCastleBW.jpg

And of course Tunbridge Wells Pantiles in general, where all the cool Victorians used to stroll and drink water from the spa.

pantiles_7.jpg

Toad Rock:

toadrock.jpg

OK, so I just spent forever posting about the landmarks and attractions of Kansas City, and then Firefox crashed, just before I could hit send. Literally, I was just about to send it. So I will try to remember what all I wrote.

We've got a lot of little historical sort of things, but maybe not anything "famous" as such.

In Liberty, we have the Liberty Memorial, which is the national memorial for World War 1. I believe it opened in 1926. It also now houses the official World War 1 Museum, which opened in 2006.
libertymemorial.jpg

Nearby, in Independence, is the Harry S Truman Home:
180px-Trumanhist.jpg

Downtown is Union Station, an old rail station.
300px-KCUnionStation.jpg

It opened in 1914, and was the second-largest train station in the US. In 1933, it was the site of a shootout between gangsters and the FBI. People like to touch the bullets that are still imbedded in one of the outside walls from that shootout. Union Station has been renovated, and now still has some (limited) Amtrak train service. It also houses a planetarium, kids' science museum, our Irish Museum and Cultural Center, and traveling special exhibits (such as Bodies Revealed and the Dead Sea Scrolls).

We also have the super-nice Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
250px-Nelson-art-gallery1.jpg

It has extensive collections of European, Asian, Ancient Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and American art, with smaller collections of pre-Columbian art, as well as a large collection of English pottery.

The Bloch Building, an addition to the Museum, opened recently, and now houses the African and Contemporary collections, as well as the entire Hallmark Photographic Collection. When it opened, the Bloch Building got a lot of national press. I haven't been back since it opened, so I really need to get over there. (Free admission every day!)
testuser5_jan2008_02_public_g_TXaWm.jpg

Kansas City also has the Steamboat Arabia Museum.
541184026_20281ffc24.jpg

The Arabia sank in a river nearby, in 1856,loaded with 200 tons of cargo that was headed to frontier merchants. Most of the cargo was perfectly preserved in the river mud, and is now on display here. Included are dishes, clothing, eyeglasses, food, medicines, building supplies, guns, etc. My mom made me go there once, and it was much cooler than I thought it would be.

I'm a short drive away from Lexington, Missouri, site of two US Civil War battles. (Confederate victories, both times.)

Also nearby is Lawrence, Kansas, which was a center for anti-slavery in the 1850's. (The whole town was burned down at least once, many people murdered, and sacked a few times.) There are little monuments and plaques all over the city.

I am also quite close to St. Joseph, Missouri, home of Jesse James. (His brother participated in the aforementioned massacre at Lawrence.)

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I am only 1 hour away from Brunswick, Missouri, home of The World's Largest Pecan:
MOBRUpecan99.jpg

:biggrin2:

There are a lot of historic houses and districts in Waukesha, but none of them are known "well enough" to have pictures on the internet. :grumpy: *sigh*

I used to live in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, and that was where the premier showing of "The Wizard of Oz" was played. :)

I live in Durham in North East England. It is a pretty small and boring city, but I do love it! It isn't too busy (I hate really busy cities), it is really near the countryside and near big cities such as Newcastle. That being said - it really isn't that interesting!

It is pretty famous for its cathedral

DC2.jpg

and castle

DC3.jpg

(both filming locations for the Harry Potter movies by the way;))

Durham also has a pretty famous university,which is generally knownas being the third most prestigious below Oxford and Cambridgehttp://www.dur.ac.uk/

Durham's history is quite interesting, although this website explains it better than I can, if anybody is interested! http://www.durhamtourism.co.uk/

That's my home!:D

I live in Clare, and there are lot's of places in Clare that we really take for granted

Inside the Ennis Abbey

ennis.abbey.jpg

Bunratty

bunratty1.jpg

Cliffs Of Moher

ireland-cliffs-of-moher.jpg

Craggaunowen

5793-craggaunowen-castle.jpg

craggaunowen.jpg

The Burren

burren_sea.jpg

91206-stone-altar-in-the-burren-the-burren-ireland.jpg

Mullahg%20Mor2.JPG

Aillwee Caves

ac-insidecave.jpg

stagl.gif

Fanore

fanore2.jpg

Anyone familiar with Father Ted

ted.jpg

Will know this house...

IMG_2626_father_teds_house.jpg

Doolin Cave

24284_DoolinCave.jpg

Ya that's about all the good places, I'm too lazy to put in the other ones lol!

Jess, I'm in Durham next weekend! My aunty lives there in some crazy big rented mansion and she's hosting a party for my nan and grandad's 60th wedding anniversary! We've driven through Durham before because Steve's mum lives in Middlesborough but I've never seen that much of it!

irishbunny and Paul, your local areas look stunning! Love the castle Paul!

mouse_chalk wrote:
Jess, I'm in Durham next weekend! My aunty lives there in some crazy big rented mansion and she's hosting a party for my nan and grandad's 60th wedding anniversary! We've driven through Durham before because Steve's mum lives in Middlesborough but I've never seen that much of it!

No way!! How weird! It's nice living here but I can't imagine what it would be like to visit here. Like I said, it's not that interesting, but it is a nice city!:D

And Irishbunny - I love Father Ted! :biggrin2:

Back