The Legend of Felix: 2014!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Bec, Vanessa, Chris, and Aubrey. I got a call from the vet a little while ago, saying that the procedure went well, and that Felix is recovering now. I'll be able to pick him up in the next couple of hours. :) They had a look at the scabs on his back and said they look like healing injuries, and shouldn't be anything to worry about. If any more come up, I'll call for another appointment, but hopefully they'll heal and no more will show. I can't wait to see my little guy again!

Hooray!! :D That's so exciting. I checked the thread a couple times earlier to see if you'd heard anything yet. So glad that the surgery went well and he is recovering :)

Great news, I bet you can´t wait to see him, I know that when mine went in for theirs, I couldn´t wait for the vet to ring to tell me I could go and collect them. There´s nothing better than getting there and seeing them safe and well, I couldn´t hug them but I did it in my head lol.

Lots of bunny hugs and kisses from my three and hope he makes a swift recovery. I´m sure he will, he sort of reminds me of Houdini personality wise and he was up and about and hitting the walls the first.

I've been waiting in the waiting room at the vet for over an hour for Felix to come out! I've watched heaps of dogs come in, be seen, and leave, but yet to see my poor little Felix. :(

Awww, well hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer. I find it strange for them to tell you you can come in and get him, and then keep you waiting like that.

Felix finally came home from the vet! It took a while but he's home now. :) Bit quiet, which is to be expected, but he seems to be healing well. He's just such a good bunny sometimes - I bought critical care and got some syringes in case he needed feeding which I thought he might, but as soon as I got him home he started munching on hay, of all things! I surrounded him with his favourites - spinach, parsley, even some purple grapes - and he chose the plain timothy hay. :p

He's getting more and more active. I didn't let him out tonight since I'd like him to rest, but I might let him out for a small play tomorrow depending on how he's looking/feeling. I'll give it a few days before I return him to his normal play area.

Last edited:
Yay., great to hear he's doing ok. Just make sure he's reasonably quiet for a few days, mine wanted to be back out on the second day but I held off till the third as

Sorry hadn't finished...I held off till the third as didn't want any problems but it was hard saying no to them. Having said that, some do recover in record time so if he's Ok tomorrow for some space but no jumping you know best.

I'm really glad the neuter went well and that he is starting to feel better. Hey, just be glad you don't have to syringe him any of the critical care. With most bunnies it's a fight to get it in them :) Just seal the bag and store in the fridge or freezer. Critical care is always good to have on hand for emergency feeding.

Yes, syringe feeding in no easy task, I remember that Brandy ended up with a really cute moustache. Jenny, do I need to keep the remainder of the critical care in the fridge, I´ve got the sealed bag in the bathroom cupboard as it said store in a cool, dry place, just wanted to check with my expert :spintongue

Yay!! I'm so glad he's home and eating well :) I wish him the best for his recovery.

I'm really glad the neuter went well and that he is starting to feel better. Hey, just be glad you don't have to syringe him any of the critical care. With most bunnies it's a fight to get it in them :) Just seal the bag and store in the fridge or freezer. Critical care is always good to have on hand for emergency feeding.

lol, I mixed up critical care for Bandit on a spoon and he licked it right off of it. He can't have been too sick I suppose :p

Sorry hadn't finished...I held off till the third as didn't want any problems but it was hard saying no to them. Having said that, some do recover in record time so if he's Ok tomorrow for some space but no jumping you know best.
I'm at work today but my boyfriend texted me earlier, and said he's playing around in his cage, so he seems like he's feeling a bit better. I'll probably let him out for some careful, supervised playtime tonight. :)

Definitely! I'm glad to have it on hand now, just in case I run into any time when I might need it. I made sure to get the apple-banana flavour, too, since I remember reading that buns don't react too happily to yucky aniseed Critical Care.

Yay!! I'm so glad he's home and eating well :) I wish him the best for his recovery.

lol, I mixed up critical care for Bandit on a spoon and he licked it right off of it. He can't have been too sick I suppose :p
Thank you! Bandit sounds like a real trooper, taking medicine like a pro. :nurse:

I think I've decided on a name for the new bun! She comes home with me next week!!

My gorgeous boy is such a little trooper. :singing:

He was way more active and like himself when I got home from work today, so I decided to let him out for some playtime in a small area. The little monster didn't like having his normal play area limited like that - he even took to rattling the bars with his teeth at one point - and when I was lying down in the xpen with him, he figured out how to use me as a stepping stone to clear the xpen and jump onto the couch!

At that point my boyfriend suggested that if he was able to jump like that so easily and showed so much frustration at being given a small play area, he might be okay to have his normal play area back, so we moved the xpen to its normal spot. There's a definite lack of binkies and bunny 500s, which I'm glad about because I didn't want him bouncing off the walls a day after his surgery, but he definitely seems happier to have his normal area back. He's jumping up and down off the couch and it doesn't seem to be causing him any problems, but I'll check his suture site before he goes into his hutch for the night, and I've placed a box as a stepping stone to the couch if it's more comfortable for him.

Felix is doing well behaviourally, I'd say, considering I dropped him off at a strange scary place who performed surgery on him yesterday. He's probably a little crankier towards me than normal but he's accepting head rubs, climbing on me, and only gave me a nip to express his displeasure at being held while we changed the xpen back to its normal spot. All in all, he seems to be doing really well. I'm proud of him for doing so well in his recovery!

Blurry one today, but here's the little fella with cheeks stuffed full of hay! He's surprised me by not eating all of his greens which he normally chomps on straight away and preferring hay, but at this point I'm happy he's eating so much hay, so I'm not going to force anything of course.

tumblr_mzjugtVppn1qadoszo1_500.jpg

I am so pleased he's doing so well and nearly back to normal, I found it difficult to keep mine penned for the same reasons, these smaller buns seem to have so much energy.

As long as he's chomping hay, he should be fine, I'm sure he'd love the odd treat, well he is recovering lol.

Cute photo, he hasn't lost that charm :)

Oh my goodness, he's got so much energy! The day after surgery, in an unusual place, strange smells, mysterious people... the very next day he's almost back to his old bouncy self. I didn't expect him to recover this quickly. :) He continues to amaze me.

It sounds like he's doing great! Nothing better than to see them eating and pooping again. I think buns will go for their hay because they've experienced a GI slowdown from the meds and surgery, and they instinctively know they need more fiber to help restore things to normal.

Yes, syringe feeding in no easy task, I remember that Brandy ended up with a really cute moustache. Jenny, do I need to keep the remainder of the critical care in the fridge, I´ve got the sealed bag in the bathroom cupboard as it said store in a cool, dry place, just wanted to check with my expert :spintongue

Chris, I just like to store mine in the fridge because the cooler the temp, the longer the food will stay good. As long as it is sealed and doesn't have moisture in the bag, it should store for quite a long time in the fridge. Warmer temps will make things go off sooner, especially if there are oils in it. And since it's not something used very often and replaced, I don't want to end up needing it and find it's gone bad. That's just what I do.

Good advice - I'll move my Critical Care to the fridge. :) I'm so glad I have it on hand now, just in case!

Will put it in the fridge then if it extends the life...it'not cheap either :p

It's great to hear that he's up and bouncing around again. Bandit spent 4 days in a cage I put together for him and he was not pleased. I just wasn't willing to take the risk of him injuring the surgery site. I could definitely tell he'd had enough though, lol.

Latest posts

Back