The dumb character in some horror movies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosyRabbits

Reaction score
Maybe some of you guys here who love the horror genre can help me.

Now I'm going to be honest I'm not big on the horror genre, but my sister has been since she was sixteen so I've been exposed to a number of different ones because of her. And one of the reasons I dislike horror besides the suspense of seeing if someone ends up a victim is the stupid character that sometimes appears in the movie.

Now I don't mind this for something that is a parody of the horror genre or a parody of a certain horror movie. They're making fun of horror or the movie so that and corny jokes are to b expected. I mean the stupid characters that appear in serious horror movies that are more often then not placed in a high position of authority or is someone among the group trying to stop the killer. The one who refuses to listen to reason or the evidence to who the killer could be.

Here is an example. The horror movie "Orphan" is one of my favorites so far of the horror movies I've seen. The idea was interesting and the suspense wasn't so bad. The stupid character for this movie was the father who's constant refusal to admit that something was wrong with their adopted daughter Ester despite overwhelming evidence (ex. Her being at the location of every accident in the movie, finding out that there was no record of her at the place they adopted her, a book of Ester's that came from a mental hospital and upon calling the place finding out Ester' was a dangerous patient there). Oh no it has to be the mother still suffering from the tragedy she suffered a while back. Which consitering what happened I would understand that but that being said even if she was delusional or hallucinating because of it none of that can make all the accidents happening around this girl happen. One time maybe...but three times with her being RIGHT there? Nor can it magically cause documents to appear. But nope her husband believes none of it and refuses to listen to his wife at all and the woman's therapist is just as stupid as he is.

The reason I can't stand characters like this is because they come off as filler to me. A very lazy bump in the road of the characters. A police detective who won't listen to reason or evidence, a member of the group who thinks everyone is overreacting despite the victims cropping up around the area and such. All to prevent the killer from being caught sooner and have more people end up as victims.

Think of any horror movie this type of character as appeared in. How long would the movie be without them and how many people in the group would still be alive?

Its like whoever was writing the story couldn't make the killer very threatening and put a character who would refuse all the evidence and such in a position of power or in the group to make the movie longer then it would have been without that dumb character in there. And that's the only thing that annoyed me about "Orphan" was the father. Ester WAS a threatening person she could have held her own easily as a horror movie villain. But they go and water her down by place the dad as a stupid character. And she comes off more as getting away with her actions because the dad is too stupid to put two and two together rather then being able to hide her crimes with careful planning and using her rues of a little girl.

And for some reason a lot of horror fans love these types of characters like the father in "Orphan" and I don't get it. Can someone explain to me why so many horror movie fans like this kind of characer? Because I honestly can't stand them.

I know exactly how you feel! I feel the exact same way about those characters!

I also hate in movies where they HAVE to split up to find something that shouldn't even be a concern then someone is killed and then the characters are all against the innocent character and it just goes on and on...

And the even worst part is no doors are ever closed behind them and if someone dies they REFUSE to get help from the police because apparently they will be the suspects...
even though by the end of the movie only one person is alive with a blanket around her being comforted by the POLICE...

Back