The Diaries of Merlin Puffsbottom and Naja Seraphina

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting development - I gave Sashanajybun Merlin's toy rabbit that had been keeping him company after Rose's passing. SHE BEAT IT UP.

I move it toward her, she boxes at it and bites it. She'll let it groom her head, then she'll run away from it.

What does this MEAN.

Is she just really hating Merlin and his scent right now? Or does she view every bunny as a threat? We may have human-only bunny on our hands. :(

I did that to try to bond Lady and Brooke. It means she don't like him very much. I had Lady my Lop do the same thing, beat the heck out of the toy. It's supposted to help bond, but so far I've had no luck either.

Vanessa

Vanessa: *hugs* These bunnies! They're almost as much trouble as they're worth. :p Have you ever considered bonding all four of them? Hold a quadruple date on neutral ground? Having two more bunnies to face seems like it would balance out Lady's aggressive nature. At least she wouldn't be able to concentrate on picking on Brooke so much. I realise that could still end up in disaster, but if I had a couple extra hands to help keep things in check, I'd probably give it a try..

-
I had a good day with the bunnies. Sasha was following me around lots and Merlin's really gotten used to hanging out on the bed with me. He even stayed stretched out when I went and lay down right next to him. I'm like, totally one of the cool kids now!
:time:

tumblr_n750d8eaQb1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

Yep. Merlin made an unholy mess in his pen last night. Hay strewn everywhere, water spilled, toys in the litterbox. And this was how seriously he took me when I told him I was getting a mugshot of him in the crime scene. "Yea sure mum, you can't pin nothing on me anyways."

tumblr_n750c36QPX1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

What transpired last night? We may never know. But the perp gets away scot-free, as he always does. *mutters murderously while cleaning up hay*

Meanwhile the Harringtons pellets are going down really well with both bunnies, especially Sasha. I worry she's going to ignore her Oxbow and hold out for Harringtons, so I'm keeping the daily feed ratios at 60% Oxbow. Here she is pigging out on her new favourite food.

tumblr_n750drSm7A1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n750fwMa531qarrtbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n750llo60Z1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

A wrench in the plans! Check out our guest:

tumblr_n77k7kFrsE1qarrtbo1_500.jpg

I took the liberty of naming him Odin. He's a teen cat with one busted amber eye and one striking yellow one. But he's oh so beautiful. He's technically the shelter's ward and will be living in a locked room, but he's so gentle I have a feeling he'd be great with the bunnies. I might have to keep him!

He's beautiful! I can't wait until I can get a cat again, I really miss having one. I often browse the shelter websites just looking at all their available cats, lol. Sometimes I see one that really catches my eye and you can just tell that they'd be such a magic cat to have.

Bubs pointed out that all three of our animal flatmates are dressed in shades of grey. The monochrome trio! Now we'll really have to keep Odin! Technically he's a lilac tabby and Merlin's a smoke pearl (blue points) and heaven knows what Sasha is, but they're all pretty much greyish so there.

Odie's a shy fellow. Been hiding under the bed for the past 28 hours, only sneaking out to eat and use the litterbox (without any training too, such a gentleman!) at night. I actually managed to lure him out for a few seconds with the help of probably too many treats, but then he went back under. We played footsies with my finger for a while, but his nails were scratchy. :(

Meanwhile Merls and Sashy are entirely aware that something is up. I was apologising to them all day today, especially with Merlin crawling around with his nose fluttering madly, looking freaked out. Poor buns, sometimes I really wish they could understand human words so you can reassure them that everything's fine.

Haha I was trying NOT to make that joke! I've been hoping for some Shades of Grey action with the two naughties for some time now. Bubs thinks Merlin might be gay. My little Anderson Cooper bun. *pets*

I'm having some sort of weird, slow, half-assed allergic reaction to something. My forearms itch, and my lips and eyes itch and are a little swollen. It's not so bad, but the itch is annoying. It can't be Odin right? I'm not sneezing or anything, and I only touched him with my hands and my hands are fine. Besides, I've played with cats before and never had anything happen. I feel like it's something airborne, like his kitty litter dust or toys or... I dunno. Ugh. :(

HOLY HEART ATTACKS. Merlin just jumped over his 80cm high pen fence, and almost didn't make it! He couldn't balance of course and his foot was caught for a second before he fell down the other side. I don't think he's hurt, but he was being very grumpy when I picked him up for a check over and didn't let me feel around properly. All I know is there's no blood and he still has full range of movement, so I hope that means he's okay...

He'd been in the cage and Sasha in the pen all day today to let Odin explore the apartment and start coming out of his shell, so tonight when I let him out for exercise (and to swap places with Sasha) he was extra happy and cuddly. Well, cuddly in the sense that he was around me much more than usual, in between binkies and bunny 500s.

When his two hours was up I took Sasha out and put Merlin in the pen. Evidently, he wasn't quite done exercising.

This is the first time he's done this and it makes me really nervous he'll try it again (and possibly be a lot less lucky about clearing the height). Gah!! He's locked up safely in the cage now. I guess this means no more pen time for the Merlybutts. You brought this on yourself!

Oh Merls!! Gotta be careful!

Felix tried that once before. Like Merlin, his foot got caught at the top and he fell. He was fine - just like Merlin, I'm sure. :) I often forget that they can be quite resilient, since I coddle my furbabies so much!

Any interest between Odin and the buns yet? Last time we had another four-legged friend around (a gorgeous chihuahua daschund cross) she stood outside their area and literally just shook (with excitement? Anticipation? Nerves?) the whole time. :p

Gosh, I'm glad Felix was fine!

Odin hasn't been brave enough to check them out yet. Every time I coax him out, all it takes is a sound or sign of movement from the bunnies to send him scurrying back for cover. Doesn't help that Sasha always thumps a big booming one whenever he gets too close to the cage/pen. Bossy little bun. :p

He's making loads of progress though. Very cautious and polite little guy. And he's a dream to pick up! Handles like a purring soft toy. After the bunnies, I'm not used to this at all! Merls and Sashy, I am disappoint.

Odin is adorably handsome. My kitty, Tonks, LOVES bunnies. Luna isn't too keen on her, however.

I am glad Merlin is ok, that would have scared the bajeesus out of me! I constantly live in fear that Luna will try to jump her fence. She has been getting on top of things (hay holder, box, etc.) in her enclosure and THAT is freaking me out.

Need to vent. Bubs just found out that his division in the company is going to be shut down in November, which means he will be out of a job. We're going to have to find a cheaper place to live because as a full time student I make like a couple hundred a week on a part-time job, and we're just barely affording to stay in our current place as it is. The thing is, it's incredibly hard to find a small city apartment that allows pets. Even if we do find one, it will be a really small hole in the wall that the bunnies miiiight be okay in but certainly wouldn't be fair to Odin. He's a big cat and very playful and active, though not destructive at all.

But it's looking like we can't keep him. I feel absolutely crap about everything, I don't even want to put an ad up for him because I'll just cry all through writing it. If there are any Aucklanders on here that would give him a great home, please let me know. He is 6 months old, healthy as a horse, desexed/wormed/vaccinated/deflead, one eye is busted but it doesn't affect his vision, very sweet and smart and responds to his name. He can be very shy at first, but he adapts well and is very free with affection. He'll come with his bed, toys, and about $80 worth of canned cat food I've stocked up. Please continue feeding him wet food (or at least 50% wet food + a little hot water mixed in) as he doesn't like drinking water much so he has to get his liquids through food.

He is an amazing kitten and I don't have one bad thing to say about him. He's extremely polite, great with his litterbox and rather introverted so probably wouldn't approach you for fear of offending you, but responds well to lots of gentle encouragement. Very curious and entertaining lil buddy.

I know a good rescue I can send him to if it comes to that, but I don't want to shuttle him from place to place and would rather send him to a good forever home. Please ask around your responsible animal-people friends and help Odin find a home he can blossom in.

:bunnybutt:

Photo 83.jpg

Photo 85.jpg

Oh no I'm so sorry. I just read this and feel terrible. I hope that you can either keep Odin or find him another loving home. 😰

I'm so sorry, Laura. :( I know how quickly you bonded to Odin and it's so unfair that you won't be able to keep him around. I'd love to take him in if I wasn't so far away. I'll ask a few friends in NZ if they're in a situation where they could take him into their home.

Do you think there's any possibility you'll be able to keep him?

I really don't know. :(

It all depends on whether bubs can find another job right away that pays well enough so we can afford a decent sized, pet-friendly place. The apartment we live in right now comes with his current job so when he leaves the company we WILL have to move out. Pet-friendly apartments are so rare here, and although I'm not above smuggling in the bunnies (they don't cause damage/smell/noise or anything anyway) a cat would probably be crossing the line as he does stink up the litterbox.

I'm holding on to hope that luck will come our way, bubs will find gainful employment before November and we'll be able to move into a pet-friendly place right away, but in case it doesn't, it would be a great reassurance to know that a good home is open to Odin. He is a massive sweetheart, easiest cat ever, affectionate but not clingy, eats what you give him, just the most accommodating little gentleman and tbh a perfect first cat. Got along fine with other cats before we got him, too.

Thanks for asking around for me, Charlotte. :bunnyhug:

Back