The Curious poos of Mr Carrots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCarrots

Reaction score
For a while now Mr C has been producing the most unusual poops - they're not cecals, not regular poos and not like anything I've seen in the other buns litter trays - they're what my GF calls 'hockey puck poos' as sometimes that's what they look like. He drops them all over the enclosure much to my annoyance when I step on one...

Large, hard poops that look more like a sheep poo than a bun-buns doings.. very curious but he seems to be in good health otherwise and his weight is fine. Does anyone have any ideas? :(

Mr C is a picky bunny and doesnt like hay unless it's alfala, which I try to limit and mix with timothy or sweetgrass.. sadly he'll eat the alfalfa and leave the rest.

Both boys get the same food daily, 1/2 a cup ofHartz pellets (the only ones they like), a couple of handfulls of parsley or a little broccolini on special occasions, lots of water although Mr C doesnt drink anything like as much as his brother.

Treats are either baby carrots or sugar free generic Cheerios.

I'll grab a pic as soon as he produces a new sample.. vaccumed up in there this evening

Yup, probably dietary. Please tell me they are plain Hartz pellets, not the stuff with treats in it? What other brands of pellets have you tried? Even sticking with alfalfa pellets, there are far better choices available. 1/2 cup might be too much too depending on their size. That's what I feed my 8.5 lb New Zealand. What breed is Mr. Carrots?

I know it can be really hard to get rabbits to eat what they should, but it really can work. Been there. Actually a lot of us here have been there, and we can help you through it.

How do you feed the grass hay? Have you tried turning it into a toy? Stuff it into toilet paper tubes, wicker balls or baskets, tissue boxes, etc.

the plain ones, Mr C is a 5.5lb lop / something mix .. is there a way to make them try other brands? I'd like to get them something else but they simply refuse to eat any other brand of pellet even if we mix it with oats :(

Hay I usually put in the bowl with the food, he is much pickier than his brother when it comes to pretty much anything.. the little one will eat whatever we give him.

Nemo refused all pellets until I found Oxbow Bunny Basics T. Those are the only pellets he will eat. You would think they were a TREAT i was giving him, he goes nuts when he knows it's pellet time!

I use American Pet Diner timothy hay that I get from the local bunny store. I used to use Kaytee which he liked just fine, but it always seemed rather dusty and not nearly as green as it should be to me. He has been eating APD for about 2 months now, and if I try to give him Kaytee hay, he picks around it!

Tracy

Do you mix the new brand in with the old pellets? What brands have you tried so far?

Oxbow timothy pellets are loved here too. I've never had problems switching a rabbit to it, but then again every rabbit in this house hates bananas so they aren't necessarily average, LOL!

Definitely try turning hay into a toy. I've had to teach rabbits to eat it before (rescues that haven't seen it before), and that tends to help. And it's tons of fun for my hay monsters. Also try putting it in the litter box. A lot of rabbits like to eat and poop at the same time. My hay racks are always next to/above litter boxes. One of my adopted buns would only eat hay if it was in his litter box, not in a hay rack above it or anywhere else although in toilet paper tubes was good. It's just impossible to fit enough hay for an 8.5 lb rabbit into toilet paper tubes!

Sheep poos look like big bunny poos IMO.

Could you explain a bit more why they are different than normal bunny poos?

Latest posts

Back