The Cicadas Are Coming!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that the cicadas emerged back in 2003(or was it 2004?) Anyway, I thought they just went through an emergencenot that long ago...I seem to recall it being on the news back then.:ponder:

Either way, I'm glad we don't really get them here...and I thought June bugs were bad! :shock:

Really? I love cicadas! I think bugs are really cool, I just don't like spiders.;)

Bassetluv, it might have been a different species of cicada.Different species will have different life cycles, including someannual ones because I see them every year. But the ones thatare dormant for years at a time are the most neat.

The sound of the cicada reminds me of mygrandmother's house. It's a very comforting sound because I fell asleepto it for many summers.

t. and loki

I was born and raised in Alaska, so when I movedto NY, I was like, "What is that noise?!" It reminds me of mygrandparents farm in Tenn. Lotsa stuff making noise out there!:shock:

~Star~

naturestee wrote:
Really? I love cicadas! I think bugs arereally cool, I just don't like spiders.;)

Bassetluv, it might have been a different species of cicada.Different species will have different life cycles, including someannual ones because I see them every year. But the ones thatare dormant for years at a time are the most neat.
Oh cripes...you mean they come out more than once every 17 years,depending on where you live? And...yearly??? They have yearly onestoo????? That's it then...I've changed my mind about moving to the U.S.some day. :foreheadsmack:

I've never heard of any swarms coming out around here, but I did see acicada lying on the ground once. Biggest danged ugly bug I've everseen! (My skin's getting that creepy-crawly feeling just thinking abouthim.) I'm sure it's cicadas I hear in the summertime. They have areally nice humming sound to them, right? Where I grew up we calledthem heat bugs, becausewe'd hear them in the trees, but onlywhen the temps would rise. It's a really beautiful sound...I just don'tcare for the bugs themselves. Any bug that looks like it would be ableto carry me off if it wanted to just isn't in my list of all-timefavorites! LOL Well, since bugs (specifically, hard-shelled flyingbugs) are on the top of my list of phobias, I will admire them from adistance. A very very far distance.

If any of those suckers had ever swarmed around me, I'd still berunning...it was bad enough that the June bugs did their annual swarmaround the street lights at night. My dad never needed a curfew with mein June...guaranteed, I was in the house by 8:00 and never ventured outtill the next morning, lest the June bugs be lurking...:shock:

I wonder if anyone's ever done a horror movie about cicadas attacking? Not that I'd watch it. ;)

Blah, Cicadas scare the crap outta me!! We had17 year locusts back when I was in third grade, and they coveredEVERYTHING. Big red eyes, black bugs, and paper like wings, they'dscream and fly at you!!

My sisters and myself would kill as many as we could on the house inthe morning on the way to school. (It's creepy, they scream when youkill them!) I'm so glad that's over!!

But, We had 17 year Cicadas a couple of years back here, I think itwas. (or so they said.) I didn't see many, maybe 2. So, maybe they madea mistake?

But, We had 17 year Cicadas a couple ofyears back here, I think it was. (or so they said.) I didn't see many,maybe 2. So, maybe they made a mistake?
They probably peeped their little heads out, caught Sanjaya's lastperformance on American Idol, and said, "What the !$@!$%!! has thisworld come to in the past 17 years???!!! Let's go back to where we camefrom...it's safer." ;)

Like Nessa said, we call them Locusts.Ick. I think we have them every year:shock:. Youusually don't see them, only hear them. The only time I seethem is when a bird caught one and is flying nearby with it and youhear it's buzzing. When we were kids, we'd collect the shellsoff the trees:).

I very much dislike June Bugs-eeeeewwwww. They can't see andfly into things, if one flew into me, the whole city would hearme. I also scream when birds fly to close like they're goingto hit me:shock:.

Latest posts

Back