The Bunny Room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I don't think I mentioned this, but my mom and I discussed everything and we can get a bun! Hurry! *throws confetti* We are going to take everything slow though, to find the perfect match.

I spend most of my time in the bedroom, which I share with my mom (even though I'm 19 years old! haha). The room basically has an invisible line going down it, half is hers and half is mine. It's a pretty big room but as you can imagine its crowded already. I wan't the cage in there since thats where I spend most of my time. Well my mom is a light sleeper and the only way the bun could be in the bedroom is if its in the walk in closest (to shut the door at night). So I thought, "Hey, lets turn into a bunny room!"

Basically, we took everything out except for the things on the sleves and the clothes. Luckly the clothes do not hang low so the bun would have to try hard to chew them. We put linolium [sp?] down to cover the carpet.

Here's how it looks so far, the cage isnt done yet...

100_0512.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0515.jpg

My plan was to use a puppy gate we have to block the door. The bun would get to use the whole closest in the day time along with the cage, then at night would be locked in the cage. The bun would also get plenty of time out of the room. I'm making a pen on the deck for outside play time too.

Of course I still need to add toys and what not, but how does it look so far? Do you think it will be good?

:hiding:

Hehe, were in the middle of making my walk in closet a bunny room too!

Yours looks great, I love the cage.

Does the linoleum work good? Thats what we want to do in ours too.

Phew, what a relief. For some reason I was expecting someone to say its not good enough or they can't be in the closet. I have a really low confidence level. :blushan:

Hehe, were in the middle of making my walk in closet a bunny room too!

Yours looks great, I love the cage.

Does the linoleum work good? Thats what we want to do in ours too.

The linoleum is great! We had a big roll and just used that.

Two of mine are in the closet, the only thing is that if you don't clean A LOT, than your clothes will smell like bunny :)
Especially if you keep the door closed for 8+ hours.

I wonder if you couldn't get an inexpensive air cleaner to sit in there when it's closed? They have some good ones at walmart and the filters are really inexpensive too. They last a long time as well. Plus it would help circulate air for the bunny.

I have one of these from when I used to smoke and it did a great job of moving the air and filtering it.They are about $30 or so at Walmart. It's not much bigger than a toaster really. I got my sister one also and she's a heavy smoker and it's helped her room (she lives with her daughter and son inlaw!)

0004889467778_AV_500X500.jpg

Great setup!

Thank you for posting that, Bo! I really should get one for our bedroom. We have currently 2 bunnies and 7 ratties, plus Morgan Bunny comes home soon. Clean air is the key for ratties, even though we don't smoke in the house, I like to burn candles.

Are those air cleaners noisy?

No, this one has a little fan in it but it's like a soft whir sound - it actually is nice when you want to sleep LOL!

The filters are only like $3 each and some have a baking soda filler too - which is also nice. I think the indirect air movement (upwards from the front to the top) is nice for rooms with a lot of animals and people. It also helped with my bird.

They have bigger ones but this one did a good job in my livingroom which is about 24 x 18 I think....

Awesome! Our bedroom is fairly small, so this should work great :D.

It's going to get stinky, soon...once the baby ratties get a bit bigger and into a cage with fleece bedding. They don't go to their new home until Dec. 2nd :p.

Actually a dark room is good for all of our small animals. Out in nature they get a lot more darkness than we give them and if we can put them in a room that simulates that total darkness it is healthier for them. This include all rodents and ferrets. Ferrets have actually been known to have less of the ferrety diseases if we can simualte the natual light/dark cycle.

So a closet is excellent and the cage looks great!!

LOL i have the opposite: a free range bunny that is allowed everywhere EXCEPT the closet. tony likes the taste of my leather shoes, belts, etc. :? very weird

Amy isn't that the day your boy comes home too?! wow! you'll send the babies out and get a bunner back! LOL! I imagine that the boys will be trying to let everyone know that they own the place too - That's what Tony and Bo do all the time - yuck!

Yeah, I'd do the filter thing too. I'm going to set mine up in Luke's room since Tony is stinky as a full male - until we house him outside this spring ....... :bawl:I don't want my purty big boy outside!!!! The kids are making me do it.

Looks very nice as long as you're getting a dwarf rabbit. A larger one could make it over the baby gate and out of the cage.
Make sure the cage has a top or even a little bunny could get out by the second level.
Does sound like a great space, no wires, nothing to chew on that should't and a fair amount of exercise space for short periods.

Yeah, I'd definitely put a top on the cage - They could also get to the clothing easily. You'd be suprised how a bunny can stretch to reach something that they want!

Bo,
Would you mind putting up a link or the model name of that air cleaner?
It sounds terrific. How long have you had yours?
Thanks so much for the great recommendation!

Oh yeah, air purifiers/hepa filters are amazing. I went all out and invested in two 130.00 ones bc I have bad asthma and allergies and its such a lifesaver.

I have to vacuum all the hair/dust out of the filter once a week and its disgusting. With 6 bunnies, I cant imagine how I ever lived without the filter :)

I think it's great you're planning ahead, Happibun! It's always a good idea to make the room nice and comfortable for your new addition. Congrats on being able to have a rabbit, you'll have fun!

love, kat.

Back