The Bunhalla Bunnies 2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those bins are a great idea for pet storage. I'm thinking I need something like that to help store our stuff, especially since Michiko is such a troublemaker and will tear it all apart if it's not locked away. LOL!

One egg is still good! Can't wait to see what you get!

Your buns are so adorable. I'm sure we've all been there where we've waited just a little too long to clean the bunny cage(s). Lol!

The bins do work really well for pet stuff storage! Since I keep them in the bunny room, I didn't want to get anything too expensive or hard to replace in case the bunnies decided to chew on it or something. The bins where only like $20 each - one of them I've had for years now and it's still holding up really well, and the other I just got recently.

I have to keep everything locked away too - between the rabbits and the dog, anything left out in pets reach is subject to getting destroyed. Haha everyone always wonders why/how we keep our apartment so clean - but we kind of have too because anything that gets left out on the floor will be turned into a pet toy.

I'm very excited about my egg too! I really really hope everything goes well. Chris and I have been starting to throw around name ideas for the baby gecko and over the weekend I made a spot to set up a new tank for it if/when it hatches. I'll keep everyone updated on it. I've got pictures of Aurora's belly with the eggs inside before she laid them, and then I've been taking pictures of the egg once a week too. I'm going to continue doing that until it hatches and will take lots of pictures as the baby grows. I think it will be really cool to be able to look back at the progression starting from when it was still in Aurora's belly all the way up to what it looks like as an adult. :)

That's a great idea to get a photo timeline of your egg's development. That will be so cool to look back on.

I have one of the smaller versions of your storage bins under my desk to store our papers, stamps, office supplies, etc. I never really thought about getting a big one to store the critter stuff in. I think I need to do that. Ha ha!

Do you know an approximate date that your egg will hatch?

When they hatch depends a lot on the temperature you incubate them at, even then saying an exact date would just be a guess. Normally they hatch between 40 and 60 days. But I've talked to some breeders who had eggs hatch both sooner and later than that estimate time frame - so really the best you can do is guess.

The warmer the incubation temperatures, the sooner they hatch. The sex of the baby is also determined by the incubation temperatures. I'm incubating my egg at a lower temperature, 82*F, in hopes that I'll get a female hatching. But that unfortunately also means that I'll most likely have a longer wait for it to hatch.

There are some small signs that the egg will hatch soon, changes in the egg soon before the babies hatch, so you aren't caught completely off guard if you catch the signs before the baby hatches out. I'd be so happy if I got to actually see the baby hatch...but if I miss it that's okay too. Just having it hatch, whether I see it happen or not, would be so exciting for me.

:biggrin2:

Haha no actually, I have next to no patience! Even ask Chris (my fiance) and he'd tell you! One of the few things he always feels the need to criticize me about is that I have no patience. Maybe waiting for the egg to hatch will help give me some?

Honestly though I can't believe 20 something days have already passed since Aurora laid the egg. It went by a lot faster then I thought it would...now I just have to wait at least double that, probably more, and hopefully I'll have my baby gecko!

Chris and I went shopping last night and we got Kit a few new chewys. Then we gave him one when we got home, and he stayed up until like 3 in the morning with Chris chewing lol. Well Chris wasn't chewing he was working on his game lol but Kit was chewing. So now I'm going to have a very rare quiet day without Kit bouncing off the walls the whole time. I took him for his morning walk this morning and gave him breakfast and after that he jumped up in bed, got under the covers, and passed out. Silly pup.

I like this picture, like get me too!

550b629e.jpg

Haha I like that one too! That's exactly what happened...when I went to take the picture it was just of Barnaby and then at the last second Berry ran over.

It's been incubating for a full month (30 days) now and is still looking good. Here's the latest picture, taken yesterday...

44a7ae62.jpg

I think it looks like it's getting bigger, but maybe it's just my imagination. But yeah, it's still doing well and we're still playing the waiting game.

I'm making a list of potential names for the baby gecko for when it hatches!

I'm looking for something kind of unique. I like names that have significance/meaning and are not so much just random. The names don't have to be short, it can even be multiple words and then I can think of some kind of a nickname.

I'm trying to think of something that in some way brings together Haku & Aurora's names. It can be kind of abstract. Haku is Japanese for white. Aurora is the name of the Roman goddess of dawn and of course there's the aurora borealis or northern lights. Chris thinks we should try to find a name that has something to do with light, since both of Haku and Aurora's names make him think of light.

Ooor other ideas I've had are something to have to do with the fact that Aurora laid the egg on Easter, so something to have to do with Easter or spring time. Or, another idea is some kind of name meaning something like first or first born, since it will be Haku & Aurora's first baby.

Soooo yeah, if anyone has any name ideas feel free to post them and I'll add them to my list. I want to have a list of names I like and then when the baby hatches I'll choose a name from the list. Oh...and the baby is being incubated to be a girl, so I'm looking for mostly girl names.

I miss Zeus :(

I don't know why but he's been on my mind a lot today. When I was listening to music I heard a song that reminded me of him...and then for some crazy reason I was looking at pet memorial items online and now I'm all sad. I have been thinking about when Chris and I move (We want to try to buy a house soonish if we can but not soon enough, I just like to daydream) and how I want to make a giant memorial area for all my past pets.

I told all my other pets that none of them are allowed to die ;)

I get all melancholy when pics of my kids come up on my laptop as the screen-saver. Sometimes I just watch different pics flash on the screen and my heart just aches for them. I so wanted them to be with me forever as my beautiful trio.At least I have their pics and memories of the wonderful time I had with them.

***hugs to you***

I know what you mean. That's the worst part of owning pets - you love them so much, but they never live long enough. I still get all teary eyed when I look at pictures of Zeus, even though it's been years now since he passed away. But at the same time, even if I had known what was going to happen with him, I would never have given up the opportunity to have had him in my life. :)

Here's a picture of my leopard gecko egg that I took this morning. Just completed week 5 of incubation...we're getting there! Looking at pictures of the egg from the past 4 weeks compared to the one I took today, the egg is without a doubt growing!

111f3062.jpg

I think Aurora might be gravid again, which will mean more eggs soon. She's doing well. She lost a tiny bit of weight after laying her first set of eggs but has been eating so much lately that she gained that weight back and then some.

The bunnies are doing well, but aren't too happy with the hot weather we've been having lately. Chris and I put the air conditioners in the other day so hopefully that will keep them more comfortable. I really have to get some pictures of them soon.

Kit is doing very well too. He's been enjoying lots of trips to the park and we took him to the beach the other day. He's such a good boy, and so much fun :) He has his own little fan club around our neighborhood. It's so funny because most people that live around here know Kit's name, but not mine. I take him out for walks and it takes forever sometimes just to get down one street because so many people run over to say hello to Kit.

Haku & the frogs are fine too. :) Everyone has been healthy and happy lately.

Chris and I have been keeping pretty busy lately. We've both been working a lot. My writing and stuff is pretty boring lately but Chris is working on making his own computer game (outside of his work), which is set to go up for sale in October as long as things go according to plan. We're hoping he'll make a decent amount of money on it and that soon we'll be able to start thinking about planning our wedding and then eventually moving into our own place. Exciting stuff!

Latest posts

Back