The big decision!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliotsMom

Reaction score
Here comes the big question: to neuter or not to neuter! Elliot is a 6 month old buck. I don't know if I lucked out with him as my first rabbit, but he is nearly perfect. He doesn't hump anything or anyone, is never aggressive in the cage or out of the cage, and he is litterbox trained (well, for the most part). That brings me to making the decision whether to neuter him or keep him intact. He always pees in his box when he is in his cage. However, if I have him out on my bed, he will pee almost every time, even though his litterbox is on my bed for him to use. It also makes me nervous to let him loose through the house, because I don't want him peeing everywhere. He's good about just peeing in his box when he's blocked in the hallway, but I'd really like to be able to let him roam free. He is also a pooping machine! He poops anywhere and everywhere. I know that most bunnies have excellent litter habits once they're neutered, but is it worth putting my boy through the procedure if he doesn't have any major problems yet?

Here's a picture of Elliot, too! I love showing him to people. He's just way too cute for words.

10ztx74.jpg

That`s really up to you!

I really don`t regret having my boy neutered. before the surgery, he was a pooping machine, he would poop mid-hop. He would also leave little puddles of pee in every secret corner in my apartment. It was getting to be a real pain to have him out, because I would have to be constantly chasing him with a broom or mop.

After the surgery this behaviour was pretty much gone. It also calmed him down a great deal. Sometimes I miss his teenage puberty antics, because it was funny to watch.

Post surgery he`s a super lazy lop. He is allowed everywhere in the house except where I keep the shoes (he still can;t resist chewing shoes), and the bedroom (too many delicious wires) but in all honesty, he would much rather just laze around most of the time.

The surgery was not very difficult for him to recover from. He didn`t become traumatized or anything like that. He was back to his cheerful self in a few days, though I had to keep him locked up for a week and a half (vets orders)

I would hold off on neutering your boy until his behaviour is really negatively affecting your relationship. Until then, enjoy his personality :)

but... if you are thinking of ever getting him a rabbit friend- he will almost definitely need to get snipped.

Since he's peeing on your bed I would definitely get him neutered. Right now it's probably a hormonal thing, but if you wait to neuter him it could become a behavioral thing and then neutering will not change the behavior. Also you mentioned that you're afraid to let him run around free in the house bc he might pee.
With my Faith her litterbox habits changed 100% after her spay. She was about 6 months too. Now I only have to sweep up a few poos, no probs. Good luck :biggrin:

If you ever want to bond him with a female you would need to neuter him if you dont want babies. Bugs is getting neutered on the 22nd.. i'm done with his spraying issues :rollseyes

Back