Thanksgiving Dilemma!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
We (my mother and I) are leaving to go to my Grandparents house on Thursday for Thanksgiving. We are staying for two nights. I'm not feeling very comfortable leaving them alone. The other animals will be fine as long as I make sure they have plenty of water, back up water, lots of hay and food. Rabbit's are so sensitive so it's a concern. I planned on driving up myself then just coming home after one night, but there is a slight chance of snow and I'm not risking getting caught in it with my lack of experience.

So I'm considering bringing them with me. What do you all think? I have two large collapsible cages I could use.
I already got a short list of vet's in the city we will be at just in case. The drive is an hour and a half long.

What would you all do in this situation, bring them with you? Or...?

It it was me, I'd definitely bring them with. I would leave my bunnies, but only if I had someone going in to feed them and check on them etc. Call me paranoid, but you just never know what can happen in that length of time while you're gone! An hour and a half isn't too long a journey either- when I consider that sometimes it can take 40mins-1hr to get to our vet across the city, and our rabbits do fine with that, and if you have cages for them to stay in at your Grandparents then it sounds ideal.

That's what I would do anyway! :)

im with jen on this. i know i wouldnt be able to enjoy myself if i thought my bunnies werent being cared for. im lucky in that i have people who have had rabbits and can help out.

with regards to the car journey - an hour isnt that long - ive done similar with my buns. if you're like me you will keep stopping to see if they are ok:p i do line their carrier with some of their current bedding and put them in last.:)

I always bring my buns with me or hire a pet sitting if I'll be gone for more than one night. I would take them with you! The car ride is extremely short (it's almost that long just to get to my vet or to my friends who pet sit for me) so they'll be fine.

i always bring my buns with me and they were on longer trips, one bunny i had, tabby, was on a seven hour trip that was supposed to take only four hours

I'd take them...and that isn't that long of a trip. Sure, they probably won't like it - but it is likely to be safer.

What other animals are you leaving home alone? I'd be concerned if anything happened to them where they needed vet care, too.

Definitely bring them or have someone come over to check and feed them... I think that is too long to keep them home alone. The car ride will be much less stressful than leaving them alone, on all of you!

Dilemma solved! I asked the rabbit rescue I volunteer at if they could bun sit for us and they said no problem.

So that's a relief! :)

undergunfire wrote:
What other animals are you leaving home alone? I'd be concerned if anything happened to them where they needed vet care, too.
Well our two cat's have always been fine for the two nights, we do this every year. We make sure they've got two bowls of fresh water and food before we leave along with clean litter boxes. The rat's have always been fine as well. Two filled water bottles and a bowl full of food before leaving. The animals that pose a problem care wise is my Crested Gecko, which needs to be misted every night, and the Guinea Pigs that have poo pick up twice a day. So I'm trying to figure something out.

I'm also working on convincing my mom it may be better to just try and get a Pet sitter to come out Friday to check up and do some care, since we will be there Thursday morning and be back Saturday afternoon.

I think it would be easiest just leaving them home... two nights isn't very long, and as long as you have plenty of food and water they are just fine ^^ I left Bentley home alone for a week... she was very happy to see me but really didn't care I don't think so. I just had to clean out her litter box cause it was very dirty, but otherwise she still had hay and water left ^^ but its whatever you feel your most comfortable with I guess

I myself for many reasons could not leave my bunnies alone. Mostly because of the special needs of some. Also I couldn't because I have seen how quikly a bunny can go down hill. Same with my gps. If I hadn't reacted as fast as I did I would have lost Merlin. As is I still blame myself for Mace dying.

Now as for leaving them alone maybe post in the rabbitry some breeders do go away for a day or so and leave bunnies unattended.

The rabbit rescue is going to bun-sit them.

Thanks for the help and opinions! :wave:

Happi Bun wrote:
The rabbit rescue is going to bun-sit them.

Thanks for the help and opinions! :wave:
Even better.:biggrin2:

I'd suggest having someone pop in at least twice a day to check on the rats and other pets. Rats can go downhill even faster then rabbits can. Plus, what happens if one dies and the other rats "dispose" of the body because it wasn't removed when it should have been? What about inner ear infections? I had a rat go from straight to tilted in a matter of hours. It was over a holiday weekend and if I hadn't been there to nurse her until a vet opened, she would have suffered.

I don't think any pet should be left unattended nearly close to 24 hours. It would just be terrible if something happened and they had to suffer for hours/days :(.

Thanks for the suggestion Amy. I'm working on getting a Licensed, Bonded & Insured Pet Sitter to come in. :)

Happi Bun wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Amy. I'm working on getting a Licensed, Bonded & Insured Pet Sitter to come in. :)
Awesome :biggrin2:!

Bentley wrote:
I think it would be easiest just leaving them home... two nights isn't very long, and as long as you have plenty of food and water they are just fine ^^ I left Bentley home alone for a week... she was very happy to see me but really didn't care I don't think so. I just had to clean out her litter box cause it was very dirty, but otherwise she still had hay and water left ^^ but its whatever you feel your most comfortable with I guess
Hmmm, a week is a very long time to leave a bunny alone, especially one that doesn't have a friend. I would really try and get someone in next time to feed the bunny and check up on her. :)

Glad you found someone to mind the bunnies :)

Latest posts

Back