thank you for caring so much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetsunset

Reaction score
Hello everyone ! I just wanted to say I am gladthis forum is her for those that need it. I got a bunny she was myearly birthday gift. My husband knows I love animals (maybe more thanpeople) lol just kidding. But she was scared until she got use to us itdid not take long because we were always interacting with her. No timeat all she was running and and even following me around the house. WellI did'nt know she would become the first thing I had to see in themorning and the last thing before bed. One day she was hiding in thecorner and would not come to me. So I got her and she was not herself,I tried changing her foor and water even a piece of carrot top. Icalled the place my husband bought her and they just said if it's beenless than 7 days we will replace a sick or dead bunny. Well I was onthis sight when she died in my arms it was Christmas Eve and I couldnot get her to the vet in time. But I found this sight and I saw allthe things I could of done to help her. It was just to late, but Iwanted to say God Bless all of you for caring so much for animals , alot of people just don't know the love a animal can bring. I have nowread your information and even printed it and I was sure to get rid ofthe Cedar bedding the pet store sold my husband I don't know if she ateit. But I was wondering why the people at the pet store sell it to youif it could make them sick. I plan to get another bunny later on and Iwill be prepared thanks to all of you. And I told the store owner theyneed to give everyone that purchases a pet from the store a book(or apampthlet)with the latest information on how toproperly care for that pet with vet #'s and do's and don'ts included.That is a small price to pay for the care of a animal that will becomea part of someones family. I think that's not much to askfor. Well enjoy your bunnies and once again God Bless each and everyoneof you. I will be reading your post from time to time to keep up withthe latest information for the care of rabbits .....Thank you.... Angie

Welcome to the forum, sweetsunset,

I'm so sorry that we had to meet under such a sad time for you. Thereis a post entitled, "Rainbow Bridge" that BunnyMommy wrote. It is wherewe memorialize our loved ones, you may wish to enter your little one'sname in there. Do read the poem, Rainbow Bridge, as it's brought somecomfort to those of us who have lost our little buddies.www.rainbowbridge.com

To lose a member of the family (we do include our animals as if theyare our babies) on Christmas Eve really pulls at my heart for you andyour husband. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this mostdifficult time.

I know you'll be a wonderful parent to any lucky rabbit that falls intoyour care. I'm glad you're not discouraged and will try again. Don'tbeat yourself up over the 'what ifs' (as we all do). Your little onetaught you a lot in the short time she was with you. Whether they'rewith you for 5 days or 5 years, once you know they're yours and yougive your love to them, it's devastating to have them leave you soquickly.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. We're here to help.

With Deepest Sympathy,
-Carolyn

I am so sorry -- I know you must be heartbrokenand you'll find tremendous support here as so many of us have been inyour place.

Sadly this is a story I hear much too often.

The younger the bunny is, the higher the fatality rate. Theysuffer the stress of being weaned too young, numerous diet changes, andnumerous enviornment changes, which quickly weakens their immune system.

I recommend that first time owners adopt a mature rabbit from a rabbitrescue and Ihighly recommend against tiny baby bunnies frompet stores.

Pam

I am so sorry about your little bunny. What a sadthing to happen, at Christmas time as well. I hope you do get anotherrabbit, when you feel up to it. Like Pam said, getting a rescue rabbitis a good place to start, and usually they are neutered/spayed as well.Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions- Jan

I'm sorry. It seems that youwere really dedicated to her, and I think you should give your love toanother bunny as soon as you feel ready.

I'm so sorry about your bunny, sweetsunset.Unfortunately, pet shop bunnies die fast all too often -- including tomyself -- because of misinformation or a lack of any info given by thestore. I hope this doesn't turn you off of bunnies and that you cherishthe memories you have of your bun.

Cedar doesn't have to be consumed to bedeadly. It gives off some sort of spore that is bad for therespiratory system of small animals.

I am so sorry you lost that baby. I know how it is when you just fall in love with them so easily!

Are you going to get another? Was it within the time that the petstorewould replace her? If not, check out shelters.There are so many bunnies who are sweet and loving who need a home.

Yes I plan to get another.But I want to be surethat I am prepared. The pet store would of given another even though itwas after the date. Only because I began questioning the proceduresthey take when selling you a animal. But he did'nt understand that wasnot the point. So I think I will take all of your advice and get onefrom a shelter that way I can be learning and giving my love to one atthe same time .With less worry about losing him or her senselessly.Thank you for the uplifting and kind words. Angie

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Ithink its a good idea to get one from a shelter. I have two bunnies andboth came from the same shelter. To go to that same pet storeand get another seems odd to me. Like you can just get aexchange.

Cristy

I would also suggest getting one from a shelter,I have two from shelters. Tryhttp://www.petfinder.org, you cansearch for availible rabbits in your area. There are a lot ofwonderful rabbits looking for a home.

As a isde note, a lot of people who work in pet store are not realknowledgeable about animals. One I buy food from and got arabbit for a penny asks me about rabbit things. Basic thingsthat they should know, but they are in retail, not pet raising.

Ed

First...Welcome to the forum.

Secondly, I want to say how sorry I am about your loss. We also lost a bunnie friend this past weekend.

I agree with the others about adopting a rescue bunnie. We have 2 fromthe shelter that are just the sweetest. The buns at our local shelterare checked by the vet and are spayed or neutered prior to adoption.They don't offer much in the way of "educating" the new owners, though.

Jim

Back