Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh Peg, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I really hope your daughter Robin doesn't take it too harshly, God there is alot happening with you, More new flemish giants on the way and 1 even leaving, I just hope everything works out!

TinysMom wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the size of the meal - that is not Sophia's normal meal at all - but she was playing in the living room and "discovered" the food and was hungry - and jumped in the bucket - something Nyx often does if she can...
It's good that Sophia is feeling good enough to get into mischief! And you just know that Nyx is whispering to her during playtime, "Go ahead! Nobody will know...just jump right in there!". And then she snickers when her "big sister" getscaught in the foodbin.:biggrin2:

Karen - you're so right - except for one thing.

Nyx seems to treat Sophia as if she's her "other mother"....it is really amazing.

But other than that - you're right - I'm sure she was egging dear sweet Sophia on....

Sorry about your loses. I ho[e the rest grow and make a great litter of flemmys.

Oh great blog

TinysMom wrote:

Nyx seems to treat Sophia as if she's her "other mother"....it is really amazing.
Aww, that's sweet! It is amazing that they develop relationships like that.

(Our holland lop, Nibbles, has been a "foster mama" for several younger bunnies.They seemed toreally like hiding under her ears...all that fur and warmth probably reminded them of their mommies ;))

But, maybe it isn't so amazing really....I'm always telling people that rabbits have so much more personality than most people realize. Just like us, they have certain other people/buns that they take to instantly...and others not so much. And last summer when we had two litters, the mamas seemed to watch over all of the bitty babies- not just their own-when they were out for playtime.
I think there's genuine affection between bunnies, not just the mamas and babies.

wabbitmom12 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Aww, that's sweet! It is amazing that they develop relationships like that.

(Our holland lop, Nibbles, has been a "foster mama" for several younger bunnies.They seemed toreally like hiding under her ears...all that fur and warmth probably reminded them of their mommies ;))

But, maybe it isn't so amazing really....I'm always telling people that rabbits have so much more personality than most people realize. Just like us, they have certain other people/buns that they take to instantly...and others not so much. And last summer when we had two litters, the mamas seemed to watch over all of the bitty babies- not just their own-when they were out for playtime.
I think there's genuine affection between bunnies, not just the mamas and babies.
I'm already starting to see some personalities emerge with this litter too. We definitely have an explorer bun who tries to climb UP the bars in the nestbox (that is a cage when they're away from mama) - and we have one that likes to lick other buns - and we have others that I'm starting to be able to tell apart from each other.

Ok so now I need to figure a theme for Athena's scrapbook! I think it may be Texas.

TinysMom wrote:

I'm already starting to see some personalities emerge with this litter too. We definitely have an explorer bun who tries to climb UP the bars in the nestbox (that is a cage when they're away from mama) -
a new Victor?

The arrangements for price, etc. are not totally all set up yet - but these are probably my next two girls for my light grey line. They will be spending up to a month at Alicia's (possibly a week or so longer) before being shipped here with another rabbit or two.

Here are the pictures along with Juan's comments about them. (They are about the age of Nyx if I remember right).

[align=center]
HNI_0091.jpg

HNI_0092.jpg

[/align][align=left]This is doe LG102 from Juan. This doe has nice, clear light gray color and great rise. I'd like to see wider shoulders on her. She's Plata's daughter.
[/align]

HNI_0093.jpg

HNI_0094.jpg

[align=left]This is doe LG108 from Juan. This doe has a massive head, is very wide and round but doesn't rise like the other doe. She's a tad dark. She's Gaara's daughter.

My favorite of the two is the second one - I love her head and her body type and I think Mercury has very nice rise to breed with her. Athena is a bit dark and yet she has given me very nice colored babies (I think) - so I'm not worried about her being darker.

Since the girls will be staying at Ali's - once she knows their personality a bit better - she will be helping to name them.

[/align]

They will be coming down from Iberia Flemish Giants in Massachusetts. They will be staying with Alicia for a month or so while we wait for Penelope to get fully weaned and ready to come.

TinysMom wrote:
They will be coming down from Iberia Flemish Giants in Massachusetts. They will be staying with Alicia for a month or so while we wait for Penelope to get fully weaned and ready to come.
Fast moving aren't we Peg to get more Flemish giants, I hope everything goes well, And Ali is so luck to get to mind them for a month!

All the best ;)!

TinysMom wrote:
:pinkbouce: :weee: Alicia is sooo lucky!! :)

paul2641 wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
Fast moving aren't we Peg to get more Flemish giants, I hope everything goes well, And Ali is so luck to get to mind them for a month!

All the best ;)!
Not overly fast moving when you consider that talks have been in the works for flemish giants since I first met Juan in October. He had a litter that was due in November that I was interested in - but then that litter didn't take. Had the breeding worked out - I probably would have been getting a younger doe than these two in February or March anyway since the best time to ship is in the spring/fall for us.

In addition - I had already talked to Penelope's breeder about getting a rabbit from them and the spring was what we had discussed - partly because I saw the buck that sired the litter.

The only real surprising thing is that the girls I'm getting from Juan are 6/8 class does and not juniors.

Part of the reason we're doing it now is because the Lebanon, PA show is a big show and the rabbits can ride back to CT with Sharon from Starlight Rabbitry and then spend time at Alicia's while I arrange the flights, carriers, etc.

I've decided to wait and neuter Sophia AFTER the show season ends in May. I won't be breeding her again but I would like to show her some...

Also - on the babies - we're down to 13 - as the explorer one fell and broke its back.

They moved into a cage with their mama now (they had been climbing out so they were caged separately in a smaller cage for their nestbox and then taken to mama).

Athena was NOT pleased at first - the babies kept chasing her around trying to nurse now that their eyes are open and they can move around better. HOWEVER....once everyone settled down - one started grooming mama on the head...and it made her happy.

That's it for right now I guess - I'll try to do more pictures later this week.

I'm sorry you lost another baby. I bet it's cute seeing them follow Athena around. I can't wait to see pic's. They grow so fast. :)

Maybe wait till he breeds again, Or if these does are extraordinary get them, But you said broad does, Which I think means not perfect but can be worked on?

I'm sorry to hear about your lose, I hope everything goes well with all the others!

I'm hear rooting for you Peg, are you strictly gonna buy from this Juan guy or from Other Flemish breeders?

Latest posts

Back