tetramyicin / conjuctivitis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
james waller wrote:
karenladd wrote:
james waller wrote:
tetramyicin is an-antibiotic ointment for feline conjunctivitis,,has the veteranary-medical assocciation approved this for use in rabbits.??james waller:wave:

Not sure, but it has been prescribed by two vets that use...one of whom contributed to the writing of the House Rabbit Handbook...so she's familiar with rabbits.
house of rabbit handbook/would it be,susan brown dvm.??.she has good info about rabbits,,with one slight- discrepancy-on the diet/nutrition,,she states--a rabbit fed hay 24/7 will never go hungry.//.rabbits don,t live on hay alone,,and per webster,,hay=grass,clover-or the like-cut and dried-for fodder,,so as i found out-- hay is a mis-leading term,,if one is discussing-grasss-(non-digestible fiber)-alfalfa/clover is digestible fiber--,, i emailed house of rabbit but they ignored me,,,imagine that..,,terramycin(tetramyicin)- was my freudian slip,,it is obviously mis pronounced,,anyway,,it appears to be used on feline and lagamorphs....sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce::bunnydance::p
No, not Susan Brown (although I have read a lot of wonderful articles by her). It is Marliss Geissler DVM) from the Bay Area in Northern California. She is retired but manages two Pet Food stores that have weekend clinics. I am going to be trying to contact her to ask about the other antibiotics that people have been talking about for treatment of infections in rabbits.

tonyshuman wrote:
The issue, though, with the triple antibiotic ointment that's not made for eyes is that it's not sterile. At least that's what I heard. It would be nice if the over-the-counter stuff is ok because we use it a lot for Frida's eyes. She gets fluffy hair/mucus balls on there, and they seem to go away if we apply the ointment.

I agree that the ointment stays in the eye better, although it can be hard to get it to stick on the eye. If you apply a strip out the end of the tube onto the eye, it often just floats and doesn't come unattached to the tube, you know what I mean?
Yes, I know what you mean. My vet showed me how to apply it by pulling the lower lid out and squeezing a tiny strip right into the pocket made by the lower lid. Then I let go of the lid and gently move the closed lids around to distribute the ointment. The trick is to pull either the lower or upper lid out first and apply ointment into the pocket.

tonyshuman wrote:
The issue, though, with the triple antibiotic ointment that's not made for eyes is that it's not sterile.

Ointments are sterile until opened (including eye ointments). Vaseline was developed as a sterile wound ointment.

pamnock wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
The issue, though, with the triple antibiotic ointment that's not made for eyes is that it's not sterile.

Ointments are sterile until opened (including eye ointments). Vaseline was developed as a sterile wound ointment.
say,,--you know this brings to mind,human-,eye solution-warnings about touching the tip of the solution to ones eye,etc/cross contamination---in which case would make an eye problem worse.//.i applied this-ointment((terramycin)- to my cats eye area with my finger--wow--things one thinks about later--what was i thinking..sincerely james waller:p:?:wave::rose::tears2:

james waller wrote:
pamnock wrote:

say,,--you know this brings to mind,human-,eye solution-warnings about touching the tip of the solution to ones eye,etc/cross contamination---in which case would make an eye problem worse.//.i applied this-ointment((terramycin)- to my cats eye area with my finger--wow--things one thinks about later--what was i thinking..sincerely james waller:p:?:wave::rose::tears2:

I was shocked at the amount of microorganisms I was able to culture off my finger -- "after" a vigorous scrubbing with soap and water. While these areinnocuous residents of the skin, they may be harmful when introduced to the eye.

Pam

james waller wrote:

gentamicin--would be less invasive...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:
A note about Gentamicin, my vet considers it the "Big guns" of antibiotics (especially for the eye) and won't prescribe it without identifying exactly what bacteria is present, and after trying other options.Some bacteria is already showing resistance to itdue to overuse. It only works on Gram-negative bacteria (but nowcertain strains of E. Coliare starting to show resistance to it, even though E. Coli is Gram-negative).

The other issue is Gentamicin has side effects that may not be readily apparent in rabbits. Gentamicin has been known to affect or damage the hearing or inner ear structure, causing permenent imbalance and hearing loss. If prescribed, follow strict dosing instructions. Overdosing or long term use can cause problems,which may not show up for several months after use.

It is usually better to start treatment with the triple antibiotic ointment or Terramycin and see if they work, before using something as strong as Gentamicin.

Oh yeah, if we use the tube on more than one bunny, we disinfect the tip between uses. Ideally, we probably should disinfect the tip between uses on the same bunny, too. I think we'll be using rubbing alcohol on the tip from now on.

Back