tetramyicin / conjuctivitis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesedwardwaller

Reaction score
tetramyicin is an-antibiotic ointment for feline conjunctivitis,,has the veteranary-medical assocciation approved this for use in rabbits.??james waller:wave:

Terramycin is a type of tetracycline I think. They have the eye ointment and also a powder that farm supply stores will carry and a lot of breeders use.

Curious about this myself, thanks.

sas

A lot of pasturella strains are resistant to teramyacin, due to its extensive use in rabbitries. They often add it to the water and dose the entire herd at once if a disease shows up in one animal. Pasturella can cause conjunctivitis. It might work, but I wouldn't use it for a long period of time if you don't see any improvements.

tonyshuman wrote:
A lot of pasturella strains are resistant to teramyacin, due to its extensive use in rabbitries. They often add it to the water and dose the entire herd at once if a disease shows up in one animal. Pasturella can cause conjunctivitis. It might work, but I wouldn't use it for a long period of time if you don't see any improvements.
i had used the ointment on the cat,,he was-not impressed,,and the oral clavamox worked alot better,-which i know to not give to a rabbit,,but i do have supplys for an epidemic-should it arise-in the facility.//.areas of high stress-like animalshelters/kennels generally carry antibiotics for water supply,,ie-coccidiosis,kennel cough,etc.,but the animals are in single cages -ensuring proper dosage per animal,,-was just curious how one would do that in a community of rabbits.??sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Pipp wrote:
and a lot of breeders use.

Curious about this myself, thanks.

sas
I actually saw this stuff today at the rabbit show I was at. Categorized for use with eye issues.
thank you for the response,,i used it on my cat,,he was-not impressed,,i would not use it on a rabbit-i thought-,,gentamicin--would be less invasive...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Well, most breeders do keep rabbits in separate cages, but that's one of the big problems with dosing antibiotics in the drinking water of rabbits. It's hard to make sure every animal gets the same dose, and that they all get the full dose. Sometimes the bottles leak, or they keep more than one animal in the cage, or one bunny drinks less water than the other ones and doesn't finish the whole bottle before the antibiotic compound breaks down, even if they are housed separately.

For a community of rabbits that are kept together, dosing teramycin in the water would be totally inappropriate as you'd have no way of knowing who got the meds and who didn't. I wouldn't recommend it for bunnies kept in separate cages either, for the reasons above, but I know a lot of breeders do this and will recommend it. There are many better, stronger, more useful (fewer bacteria are resistant to them) antibiotics out there that can be dosed orally with a syringe or sub-cutaneously (-cillins) to make sure each bunny gets the full dose.

Clamamox contains amoxicillin so it should not be given orally to rabbits. You could probably make a solution of it, but I wouldn't want to use it on the eye as it also contains clavulanic acid which could irritate the eye, and the binders used to hold the tablet together would have to be filtered out somehow. It wouldn't make a good injectible drug either, if crushed and put into water, because of the acidity and binders.

Terramycin is tetracycline (the compound name). I cannot find any solid info on a drug called tetramycin. In farm stores, tetracycin is sold as Terramycin. I think it may just be confusion about the name: the compound name is tetracycline, and it is sold under the brand names Terramycin, maybe also Tetramycin?

tonyshuman wrote:
Terramycin is tetracycline (the compound name). I cannot find any solid info on a drug called tetramycin. In farm stores, tetracycin is sold as Terramycin. I think it may just be confusion about the name: the compound name is tetracycline, and it is sold under the brand names Terramycin, maybe also Tetramycin?
Thanks
I couldn't find anything on tetramycin ?but plenty on tetracyline and terramycin

angieluv wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
Thanks
I couldn't find anything on tetramycin ?but plenty on tetracyline and terramycin
not a tragic error ,but a mis spelling...terramycin--actually found the original box---sorry for mis print--ouch,,,,..:p:rose::wave::biggrin2::?-sincerely james waller

Just wanted to add that I have used Terramycin for conjunctivitis in my rabbits and it works really well. I have usually used it once or twice a day for about 10 days and it takes care of it right away. I had a couple of rabbits with recurrent conjunctivitis, probably caused by pasturella and this always worked for me. I also always cleaned the eye gently with warm water before putting the ointment in. This helped to keep the tissues surrounding the eyes from getting irritated as well.

karenladd wrote:
Just wanted to add that I have used Terramycin for conjunctivitis in my rabbits and it works really well. I have usually used it once or twice a day for about 10 days and it takes care of it right away. I had a couple of rabbits with recurrent conjunctivitis, probably caused by pasturella and this always worked for me. I also always cleaned the eye gently with warm water before putting the ointment in. This helped to keep the tissues surrounding the eyes from getting irritated as well.
thank you very much for your response,,i used terramycin on my cats eye--for conjuctivitis,..but being a ointment,,it seemed less intrusive to use eye drops--gentamicin sulfate-on the rabbit,,,good info,,thank you..its always good to know what meds are transferable./useable.//.however pasturella is a-major stress/-weakened-immune system--infection-which requires oral antibiotics,,hopefully the eye problem-with your bunwas-not a result of this dreaded infection...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

james waller wrote:
tetramyicin is an-antibiotic ointment for feline conjunctivitis,,has the veteranary-medical assocciation approved this for use in rabbits.??james waller:wave:

Not sure, but it has been prescribed by two vets that use...one of whom contributed to the writing of the House Rabbit Handbook...so she's familiar with rabbits.

james waller wrote:
karenladd wrote:
thank you very much for your response,,i used terramycin on my cats eye--for conjuctivitis,..but being a ointment,,it seemed less intrusive to use eye drops--gentamicin sulfate-on the rabbit,,,good info,,thank you..its always good to know what meds are transferable./useable.//.however pasturella is a-major stress/-weakened-immune system--infection-which requires oral antibiotics,,hopefully the eye problem-with your bunwas-not a result of this dreaded infection...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:
Have used Terramycin because the ointment stays in the eye better than drops for y rabbits. I mostly use it though, because my vets always prescribe it to start! It seems to work well so I haven't asked about anything else but it's interesting to see what others use. My rabbit, Nora, is using Terramycin right now for a weepy eye and I'll see how it goes.

karenladd wrote:
james waller wrote:

Not sure, but it has been prescribed by two vets that use...one of whom contributed to the writing of the House Rabbit Handbook...so she's familiar with rabbits.
house of rabbit handbook/would it be,susan brown dvm.??.she has good info about rabbits,,with one slight- discrepancy-on the diet/nutrition,,she states--a rabbit fed hay 24/7 will never go hungry.//.rabbits don,t live on hay alone,,and per webster,,hay=grass,clover-or the like-cut and dried-for fodder,,so as i found out-- hay is a mis-leading term,,if one is discussing-grasss-(non-digestible fiber)-alfalfa/clover is digestible fiber--,, i emailed house of rabbit but they ignored me,,,imagine that..,,terramycin(tetramyicin)- was my freudian slip,,it is obviously mis pronounced,,anyway,,it appears to be used on feline and lagamorphs....sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce::bunnydance::p

In the past I've used it on babies with "nestbox eye" (the ointment that is) - but I've since switched to triple antibiotic cream I can get from Walmart for a lot less and it works about as well.

I also use the triple antibiotic ointment (same ingredients as the prescription eye ointment). The use of triple antibiotic ointment in rabbit/cavy eyes has been mentioned a couple of times in the Domestic Rabbit publication.

The issue, though, with the triple antibiotic ointment that's not made for eyes is that it's not sterile. At least that's what I heard. It would be nice if the over-the-counter stuff is ok because we use it a lot for Frida's eyes. She gets fluffy hair/mucus balls on there, and they seem to go away if we apply the ointment.

I agree that the ointment stays in the eye better, although it can be hard to get it to stick on the eye. If you apply a strip out the end of the tube onto the eye, it often just floats and doesn't come unattached to the tube, you know what I mean?

Back