Terrific Tans: A place to show off the tan breed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because of a suggestion in the rabbitry that we have a place to show off tans!

This is General Bismark. He's a one year old chocolate tan who is always on the move!

DSC00140.jpg

His favorite food is cranberries. They are his crack. But he also enjoy fresh parsley. He has an entire garden to himself to nom nom on.

DSC00136.jpg

His other favorite snack: butt treats.

DSC00154.jpg

He knows he's a model.

DSC00144.jpg

But sometimes, being beautiful really get him down.

2011-04-23_19-50-46_713.jpg

In the event of being too beautiful, he will finally rest. A nice bed, or a warm spot next to a human get won't always do it. Sometimes...he likes to open drawers and sleep there.

0318011354a.jpg

Mr. Kraken

Mmmmm toes
June27201147.jpg

Love my bed
June27201135.jpg

Boing

270237_10150299999047174_571952173_9113061_3182042_n.jpg

All this running around is tiring
269678_10150300001372174_571952173_9113128_8253483_n.jpg

CRASH
284594_10150318441987174_571952173_9310053_5406900_n.jpg

Tesla

Hello
June27201136.jpg

Pretty feet
June27201139.jpg

Circles are fun
284879_10150299995682174_571952173_9112989_3853242_n.jpg

Being this awesome is hard work
269820_2112555329944_1127468202_32445543_6414667_n.jpg

Go over you say?
262208_2112525689203_1127468202_32445402_6416802_n.jpg

Oh what lovely Tans! Mr. Kraken makes me laugh! Sometimes we need to put General Bismark in his cage for the night, but when we release him we announce we are about to 'Release the Kraken!" We also call him such when he's being naughty! XD

Those flops are so cute!

Wonderful pictures :) Jabber is so gorgeous and happy lol!
I finally got some dowels to practice jumping!! After I saw kraken and tesla I had to try it :)
This is Serena My newest addition
101_4704.jpg

101_4700.jpg

101_4690.jpg

cheater
101_4695.jpg

there she goes
101_4696.jpg

And this is diesel. Hes one of my nice baby bucks I homegrew. I wanted to take him to convention to see how he would compete turns out he is an enthusiastic jumper :)
101_4736.jpg

101_4744.jpg

grooomm
101_4745.jpg

What a sweet boy he loves his scratches
101_4761.jpg

curious boy
101_4752.jpg

first penalty lol
101_4762.jpg

and some brakes with minimal thinking
101_4765.jpg

And finally some jumping
101_4768.jpg

101_4764.jpg

101_4777.jpg

101_4783.jpg

andd hes tired
101_4786.jpg

such a good boy
101_4787.jpg

101_4789.jpg

me and diesel :)
101_4805.jpg

Wow - they're all so beautiful/handsome.

Can someone share about their personalities? I've always liked their looks but didn't know enough about them....like...do they make good pets?

(No - the inn is full here...but still yet...maybe someday!)

Well, Jabberwocky is exactly the kind of rabbit I love... Absoloutly crazy. I don't think I ever see him just hop anywhere, he binkies like crazy and is just such a sweetheart, when he finally tires himself out he comes over and lays along your leg, he's a major attention seeker.

This vid shows his personality rather well, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3WxrTks2ZzQ

Aparently, Jabberwocky got the crazy Tan personality rather then the relaxed Belgian Hare one.

Mind you, I would not recommend them to first time owners or people who like cuddle bunnies, because if Jabber is anything to go by, they're fireballs.

TinysMom wrote:

Can someone share about their personalities? I've always liked their looks but didn't know enough about them....like...do they make good pets?

I have only had mine for a month, and only have 2, but they are different.

Tesla is probably more of a typical tan. He is also a young (1 year old) intact buck, so that may play into it a bit. He is hyper and always want to go, unless he is flopped over. He has little focus, other than the 'circle girls' focus. He is very friendly and always wanting attention. If I walk by the cage, he will run over to the side to see what is going on. He does not like to be confined or held too long, he can get nippy. He has only sprayed once and I think he was just getting annoyed as I was not letting him run around. he will stand up at the pen to be picked up or at least to get closer for petting.

Kraken is more mellow. He is a tad older at about 16 months. He is still hyper and active. He does come up for attention, but is a bit more reserved about it. He is almost not quite sure, but after a few seconds is fine and wants some loving. He is more careful and also seems cleaner (litter trained himself and only pees in the corner of the pan. He seems to like being held more and doesn't fuss as much. Even though he is also intact, he is less hormonal. He still circles, but not to the extent that Tesla does. He has yet to spray while here.

Tans are an active rabbit and always seem to be on the go. Both boy were really good the first time I put the harnesses on and just wanted to run around. Neither is a cuddly rabbit and seem to prefer to interact on the ground where they can run around and play. They like toys.

I would say if you want a calm cuddly rabbit, don't get a Tan. If you want a rabbit you would follow you around everywhere, get into things, play all the time and pretty much be on the move, then a Tan would be great.

I guess like any breed, they are great for those who know what they are getting into but could be an issue if you aren't expecting what they are.

TinysMom wrote:

This is my first tan, but what I have learned from him is he is very active and absolutely hilarious to watch. He's always on the move. He loves to follow me around the house, circle me, and if I am bending over enough he likes to hop on my back and go for a ride. I had a rabbit as a child, but my goodness, this one binkies more than I can count in a single day.

The other day I was in the bathroom, doing my morning business, and I see a "flying" rabbit float across the bathroom door view. I never see him start or end, just the middle of a gigantic leap. It's so funny to see in the morning. He also has what I like to call "hiccup binkies" where he stays in one place and does a serious of small hops up and down.

He will climb on everything. He loves to steal human chairs, jump on the back of couch, lounge on counter top... How did I learn he was insane about cheerios? We leave a cereal box on our kitchen counter for easy access. There was a chair too close to the counter and I come home to find him hip deep in the box. Crunch crunch crunch.

He does have his rest time, but that seems to be mid day. Right now he's pretending to be a bull with a curtain. Tans are active and a joy to watch!

But they are certainly not cuddly rabbits. This is not a rabbit you can hold for hours and they will zone out. He hates "trances" and never chills out in them. He clicks his teeth and bats his paws. And we sure get a good flicking when it happens. He will tolerate being picked up and being held for short amounts of time. But if your hold is lose and there's a way out, he'll take it. But that's not to say they aren't affectionate.

He often will come over to my, nudge my food with hard nose nudges. When I look down at him, he'll place his nose on the floor and close his eyes. Smug little guy is demanding for pettins. And he'll lean into it. When I give him a good scratch on his back thighs, his entire body sways in that direction. He will sometimes join me on the couch for nose love. On a few rare occasions he loafed up on my chest while I was taking a nap. He also likes to sleep ontop of my feet while I am on the computer, or lounge a few inches away from me.

I think they are daredevils as well. First week we had him he found his way on top of our 60" TV. And would dive from the top on the couch. He would do this for hours! We eventually go rid of the TV several weeks ago, and he's been diving from the back of the couch into his litter box. It's been messier there since then. ::shakes fist::
I agree these are not cuddly rabbits. But they are affectionate. I get plenty of love and so does he!

I don't know if it's a General Bismark thing, or a rabbit thing, but he likes to lick everything! I get in the shower, he comes in and licks the towels. I bring up a laundry bin, he licks it. He likes to lick some spots on the rug and umbrella. Leather shows makes him licky as does socks (he also like to carry them around).

More pictures!

Always on the move, ready to dart!

DSC00149-1.jpg

Back of the couch is mine! I can see the whole world!

DSC00165.jpg

What are you doing? Can I lick it?

DSC00163.jpg

The epic nose drop. Pettins now.

DSC00169.jpg

Fine have your darn pettins. :p

DSC00168.jpg

You ate a pear without me? I needed to taste test it first! Table be damned!

PearNibble.jpg

What did you bring me back from the store? Grapes! What do you mean they aren't for me? Want to see how many I can eat before you notice?

GrapeTheif.jpg

It's noon already? Time to zonk out on the porch.

DSC00157.jpg

What beautiful rabbits. I especially love the photo of the guy going through the grocery bag. We once had a rabbit that not only would snoop through the bags but also climb part way into the fridge to see if he had forgotten to look at anything.

They are so ballzy!

I didn't say it before but I am loving seeing all the tans (and 1/2 tans too! Jaberwock looks absolutely crazy fun!).

I'm glad we have a forum thread for our energetic tan kids.

Oh my, they are all so handsome! I want a tan now! The General needs to tweet more pics of himself! Or then again, maybe it's a good thing he doesn't, his slim and toned body might get Rubey jealous. :p

Anaira wrote:
Oh my, they are all so handsome! I want a tan now! The General needs to tweet more pics of himself! Or then again, maybe it's a good thing he doesn't, his slim and toned body might get Rubey jealous. :p
I can barely take all those photos without jealousy! I wish I had his body! XD

Here's Guinness! If I remember right, she's about 3 years old. She is the most loving, snuggly, licky bunny I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She is also the only rabbit that allows my 17-month-old toddler to pet her. These pics are old because I don't really use Photobucket anymore, but that's ok.

Professional shots of her done while she was at Catnap in Chicago, IL.
Guinness1.jpg

Guinness2.jpg

100_6986a.jpg

100_6987a.jpg

100_6991a.jpg

Butt!
100_6992.jpg

i will agree with all the above.

Younger tans are of course more to handle being that they are figuring the world out and you while also having to deal with hormones. All of my older tans (1-3years) are great and so well mannered. They love coming to the front of the cage and so interested in what im doing. Beyonce when i would let her and her five babies out for a good run she would hide from her babies and then jump out run back and forth across the room and tanflop right next to me as i layed on the floor.

Like i said they are such great rabbits for people who know how to appreciate their booming personalities. I wouldn't give up this breed for the world. :)

Guinness was labeled as being "aggressive" at the shelter. She was not, she had just never been taught boundaries. She would nip and dig at us for attention and had never been taught that it was inappropriate. So every time she would dig on us or nip, we would unceremoniously chuck her off the couch- gently, of course! She figured it out quickly and became a gentle lap bunny!

She is definitely a feisty bun and it's amazing how low she can squish to get under furniture. It's hard to bunny-proof well enough to keep her out of places she shouldn't be, like under the couch where she can access wires.

Edit: I love the "tanflop!" What a great word!

Back