Tell us the top 2 things U didn't know about rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
For me , prior to having a rabbit, I would've never guessed that

1) Rabbits used litterboxes.

2) Rabbits show affection by licking.

That they made noises
Didn't know what binkies where!!

I use to always see my neighbors outdoor bunny jump and spin around when I came to visit her and I always thought It meant she was scared of me. Now I know the poor thing was just so excited to have company!!

I know a lot now, but back in the day these are the things I didnt know...
:carrot Rabbits could make noises
:carrot Rabbits lay and sleep flopped over on their sides

1. That they could walk (OMG I squelled the first time I saw Buttercup walk when he was ababy).

2. That they lick and lick and lick. Buttercup would sit on me and lick me for an hour if I let him. (I miss my baby).

Susan:)

Before I started this thread , I didn't know all the different noises rabbits can make.

Bagel,my last rabbit, would grunt and lunge at me . That was Bagel's way of saying "Get out of my personal space!" or "Leave my things alone!". (Thank God Bagel never managed to bite me)

I never knew that rabbits can

1)Purr/Coo

2)Hiss/Growl

3)Honk

(until I looked it up)

That there were so many breeds. The rabbits in the pet stores didn't really have much of a 'breed' and seemed to be mostly lop mixes I guess. Now I know there are a ton of breeds as well as all the colours and patterns.

That they could totally consume your life. You think a rabbit just sits in the cage, you let it out to run around a bit and clean the cage. Hard to imagine that I would be travelling so much to do agility and spend so much time researching and finding new stuff to do.

That a little black bunny that cost $15 could totally change my life!

I also didnt know how many breeds and colors there were!

I didn't know before I owned rabbits that they screamed lol scared me half to death when my babies first did it

1) That they are pretty awesome pets when they aren't locked away in one room.

2) The noises they make. Hahah the first couple of days after I got Harvey he surprised me by circling me and the cats making this honking noise. X3 Little did I know that was just the start to his horny behavior. I have also heard him "purr" (to me a cat purrs, a rabbit is just making tooth noises), grunt at the cat, and snort and of course the honking.

That they ate hay! The day I brought Fraggles home I knew nothing! I thought it was carrots and iceburg lettuce. My MIL gave me a garbage bag full of hay the day I got her. Cecals was also a huge surprise to me. I really knew nothing and now I am known as "The house bunny expert" at the shelter I volunteer for :)

woahlookitsme wrote:
I also didnt know how many breeds and colors there were!

I didn't know before I owned rabbits that they screamed lol scared me half to death when my babies first did it

@ woahlookitsme........did you post this video on youtube of a rabbit screaming?

The rabbit in the video looks like the rabbit in your avatar.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ru-ZXIpoTM[/ame]

I had no idea how intelligent rabbits were. Completely surprised me.

And how attached they could become if you truly show them love and trust. Once you have gained the trust of a wild animal, you really have no idea what you have accomplished. This is amazing feat. And so worthwhile and anyone like everyone who has a relationship with a bunny, that will last to the end.

Boy if only they made people like this. Oh well. I have my bunnies.

K :)

I'd bought a number of books & read online information before getting Honey, so I knew quite a bit, but I didn't know:

that their tails were bigger than the little puff you see when they're sitting

how strong their urine was

I stalked this forum for a while before adopting my buns, but I didn't expect the licking for affection thing! That was a cute and pleasant suprise! I'm still learning a few things here and there, but that is my favorite.

I didn't know how much they shed (or that they shed to begin with)! I also didn't know about the bunny flop. It's definitely the cutest thing I see on most days :)

There is so much I have a hard time just listing two. I guess we will go with:

That they couldn't live purely off of eating carrots (I was about 14 when I got my first rabbit)

That they can have individual personalities. I had thought they would just all want to eat and be afraid of everything, I never realized how complex their personalities are.

Nitis3334 wrote:
I had thought they would just all want to eat and be afraid of everything, I never realized how complex their personalities are.
Funny you should mention this, since I was worried when I first brought Harvey home if he would be scared of my cats. I laugh about it now. He's a total bully to the cats X3 but he does like them. He keeps trying to get them to groom him and the cats don't understand. I feel bad for him so I end up petting his forehead instead.

Back