Tell me about Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Ok, guys...now that I know there are Flemmies inSouthern California...and we're about to double our income (meaning ahouse is not so far into the future now)......

I have to ask...

1. How much space do Flemmies need?

I can't think of anymore questions! I'm still in shockknowing they're so close by!!! Literally like a couple townsover....

I.....must....go....visit...the.....Flemmies!!!! Fawn Flemmish babies for sale...I think I'm gonna faint.

So, please, I beg you...tell me all about this beautiful breed...Iwould love to get one once my girls are spayed and bonded......:D

I think you'd have to get a boy flemmie... So he could have a lovely little harem of beautiful girls to fawn over him.

I've never had one, so I can't really tell you anything, other than I would love to have one one day.

--Dawn

That's EXACTLY what I thought of a moment ago, too!! :D

I thought of Tiny and his harem...wouldn't they just LOVE to fawn all over such a big, beautiful boy?? Hehe...

Must....stop....looking....at....petfinder!! :D

Hehe...

Oh man, Petfinder is bad... All those lovely bunnies that need homes, makes you want to take them all home.

But, if you do indeed get that wonderful boost in income, then I'm sureyou'll be able to jump on getting the girls spayed andbonded. Then, you can scheme about how to add a lovelyflemmie boy to the mix.

I mean, think about it. I've got my three in a big 5x2x2 NICcondo, and there's tons of room. You could probably fit yourthree girls plus a big flemmie boy in a 5x2x3 cage, just add one morelevel to the top...

--Dawn

Oh, you're HORRIBLE!! Hehe...

I've got so many thoughts going on in my mind...

Here's the situation with the income:

My husband and I have our own Electrical company, and he just got thefinal approval for his Contractor's license (we're just waiting for itto arrive in the mail, get together the bonding and worker's compstuff, and we've got the license! We've been waiting ayear!). We've been running our company based on word-of-mouthfor almost three years, now, and with the license will be able to (1)advertise, (2) actually do work for commercial properties (which thereis so much work for out there, it's REDICULOUS...and the license wasall that was stopping us), and (3) do work for rental property ownersthat were skeptical to use us before sans license. We havequite a few friends that, once they got their license, said theirincome and workload literally doubled within a couple weeks!:shock: So, we're literally about a month away from thatdoubling...and all the possibilities keep creeping up in mymind...

Anyway, soon after our finances actually get straightened out from thisthree years of barely scraping by, we'll be able to move to a largerspace, and I can see that we'd be able to get a house about a year fromnow, meaning we'd actually have a yard, and such! (Which issomething I cannot even imagine right now...)

Anyway, there ya go...I think there'll be a lot of posts from me aboutthis or that for the girls now that things are finally happening forus! I'm so excited to get them all spayed and bonded andready for more company!! :D It's soclose....hehe!! I'm just giddy!

:happydance:wiggle:woohoo:lol:toast:

Ah...you want to know about Flemmies. I can help you!

First of all, we're very laid back and easygoing. We like to sleep atleast 20 - 22 hours per day although some days we do like to have somefun and stay awake an extra few minutes.

We do NOT like to be picked up. When you do that, you dishonor ourregalness and do not be surprised if we kick you or nip you. You aresupposed to bow down to us and remain at our level and not expect us torise to yours. Trust me, if we wanted to rise to your level...we'd jumpon your chair or bed and get your attention.

Now about space. A one bedroom apartment will do as well as a wholehouse - as long as you remember that it is ALL ours. We allow you toshare our space but you must remember that we own it. We will show youwhere to put our litter box and where we like our food bowl to be. Wemight allow you to put it different places (for instance, mom doesn'tlike the idea of putting my litter box right in front of the frig...soI try to respect her thoughts on that and allow her to keep it out ofthe kitchen).

We do not NEED run time outdoors if we have full run of the house -which of COURSE we will have. Right? OF COURSE right....However, we do like the outdoors if it is a mild day. Just don't gousing that clicky thing that flashes around us. We know how good welook - no one else needs to know.

Now about our diet. A really good flemish slave provides unlimitedgreens, craisins, carrots and bananas on a "whenever you want it..yougot it" basis. Unfortunately, some slaves, like my mom...take longer totrain than others. We also like calf manna in our food (especially ifwe're under 18 months old) and it is pretty important for us as we grow.

Oh - and about our ears. You may admire them from a distance. We may allow you to get close and give us ear rubs.

BUT NO LAUGHING at them, POINTING at them or making fun of them.

The BunFather

Oh Rosie!! That would be so wonderful if you got a flemmie!!:happydance I'd be so jealous!;)

Can't give you a lot of advice because I've never had one:(, but I justwanted to say, if you get a garden, you must get a huge big runfor your flemmie and the three lovlies to have fun outside withyou...nothing better than being out in the run with the bunnies on ahot day!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I'm sorry - that was sort of said in fun...maybe 20 hours? 18 hours?

The thing is...flemmies are known for being...laid back....definitely not an "energizer rabbit" like some other breeds.

But I have seen Tiny sleep in the same spot for 8 hours at a time - and he has free roam of the house.

And who knows - he might be more active at night when I'm asleep..he pretty much lives in the kids' wing of the house..

Peg

(I'm "The BunFather"'s Mom - that is his nickname for his blog, etc)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
They sleep 22 hours aday? That's practically the whole day!:shock:

Oh, thank you Bunfather...for gracing my thread with your awesome presence!!!
:bow

So, wow, it actually sounds like we'd definitely be able to provide forsuch a handsome fellow! I would like to get a larger placebefore getting a Flemmie (as I don't think adding another body to thecurrent scene would be a good idea, necessarily...we're a hair's breathaway from feeling crowded...any additions would push us over the edge).

So, larger place, bunny proof like CRAZY, get the girls spayed andbonded...then introduce the Master of the Harem.Hehe!! I'm excited!!

Ok, so being completely honest here.........I made a deal with Jesse(JAK Rabbitry) that if she has a blue-eyed dutchie in this recentlitter (and I mean FULL ON blue eyes), I would LOVE to take one off herhands. If not, she said that the next litter is guaranteed tohave blue eyes...in which case, I'll take one of THOSE beauties off herhands. I haven't mentioned a SINGLE WORD of this to myhusband...it's completely secret for now. BUT...it is anintention of mine. I have a few breeds I MUST HAVE...here'smy list.

1. Flemmish Giant
2. Lionhead (there's a lionhead named Dandelion at theBunnyLuv shelter I'd love to adopt...as well as a few of Peg's babies,hehe!)
3. Blue-eyed black dutchie and possibly chocolate dutchie (any eye color for choc)
4. Lionhead Lop (maybe...not definite addition)
5. ANY breed in the fawn color...oh, it just melts me
6. I would also love a blue colored bun...with fur the texture of Flower's...does that exist??
7. As many bunnies from the BunnyLuv shelter as I can get away with, hehe!!

I know there are more, but for some reason they aren't coming to mindat this moment. There used to be a lop on the list, but now Ihave my Trixie! :)

Hehe...I've got intentions...and WATCH OUT...my intentions usuallybecome reality fairly quickly after I've outlined them like this!!

Well, you can always have one of my lionlops once I get the breeding going....

I think I'm going to take Billy Sunny back to his mama (Milina - achocolate doe). I also want to take him to a tort lionlop I have.

And you can have one of my babies anytime you want - you just let meknow what you're wanting! I think its $75 to fly rabbits w/Frontier airlines and breeders do it all the time!

Peg

Hehe...I'll let you know when we're able to do it, Peg!! :D

I wouldn't want a lionhead (aside from cute little Dandelion) fromanyone else but you...so I will definitely take you up onthat. :)

I'm so excited...

And, no worries...I have no qualms about flying a bunny from Texas,given that Trixie was so unstressed from her flight from NY!:)

Do you have a site with all your babies on it, and price information, and such, so I can add it to our financial planning??

Edited to add: found yer site...hehe...it was in your profile. I'm a goof! :)

Well now that I know you live so close to aFlemish breeder... I have more reason to come nap your growing herd! Iknow you wouldn't last long before looking for another (it's somethingabout that number 3, no one likes to have just 3, lol).;)

Hehe...too true...I think once someone reaches three, things just EXPLODE!! :D

Don't be surprised if I have more than 7 by the end of the year, hehe!!

:thumbup

Just....don't tell my husband...hehe!! :D

Oh no...I made the mistake of checking out Peg'ssite....and have fallen in love with one (who is stunningly like Mr.Tumnus, hehe). We'll see how it all works out...

Ya never know....hehe!! :D

(As a note: I would wait until my other two girls are spayed, and tryto bond all four...in which setting I would just combine all threecages, which would provide PLENTY of space for all, and not take up anyadditional floorspace! :))

I'm crazy...and am NOT informing my hubby of ANY of this, hehe!! :D

This got me thinking. If you justbring one home without telling him, he'll fall in love and all will bewell :embarrassed:, that's what I'll do when it's time for another:whistling.

Haha...I'm already kinda planning on doing thatwith a blue-eyed dutchie I will eventually get. I knowexactly where I'm getting him/her, and from what line, and everything,hehe! :D

Hehe...I'm officially a Crazy Bunny Lady! :D

Back