TEETH!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover134

Reaction score
does anyone have teeth problems with their bunny?my gizmo has bad teeth..poor baby so he has to have his trimmed. hesgoing in in the morning to get his trimmed..he's been starving for like5 days...i thought he was just depressed or somthing so ive beenplaying with him more and cuddling with him in bed but i looked todayand his teeth are bad and long again and he cant eat b/c of that..ifeel so bad so i called the vet and said IT HAS TO BE RT AWAY I BRINGHIM IN. so early tomarrow morning i am going in and i knwo his belly ishungry so he should be eating ALOT tomarrow. but does anyone else havethis problem. i forget what its called

I've had this problem with my lop Flora.

She got thin and I thought she was diabetic because she was drinking alot but it was her teeth...she was just so hungry. I felt really badwhen the vet looked in her mouth and her teeth were overgrown.

However she recovered...but it was a long story. We started off justgetting them trimmed every week but she got more and more stressedabout going to the vet and so we got them removed. She s done wellsince then but is on a lifelong soft diet but has managed to gainweight and energy quite well. Recently I thought theyd grown back andposted a thread here....thankfully it was just vestigal teeth that thevet said would not cause a problem.

Sorry I have to go now as I have to take my cat to the vet for herinjection just now but if I think of anything else i'll post againlater.

Good luck..

PS is it a lop you have? They are prone to teeth problems becuase of their "shortened" faces

Malocclusion--where the bottom teeth overlap thetop ones, preventing normal wear, and need to be trimmed. youcan do this yourself--i've done it, one of my best herd bucks ruinedhis teeth by chewing on the wire. it isnt real easy but youget the hang of it, and its a lot less $$ than taking him to thevet! I do it with basic human toenail trimmers---even thothats probably not the best choice

It is also known as buck teeth or wolf teeth.

simple maloclusion, where the top and bottom incisors meet head on, isalso called butting teeth, (LOL or "butt" teeth) and those dont usuallyneed trimming.

Hopefully the vet will feed the bunny some oxbowcritical care and maybe show you how to forse feed as well, should thisever happen again. Maybe try some baby food until then?

My bunny had a tooth clipped when she was little, luckily it was ableto correct the situation and it grew back correctly. She still has abit of a crossbite though so i watch her to make sure she doesnt showany symptoms of molar problems.

Its fairly common for a bunny to have maloclussion, its easilytreatable as long as you keep an eye on the bun and know when to clip.Ive heard people do it themselves, maybe you can purchasesomeclippers at the vet?

Hope the bunny is ok and gets somedinner soon :)

My rabbit, Flopsy has Malocclusion too. Its notreally that bad though if you get them clipped once an month. Anrabbits incisors grow 2 and 2.4 millimeters per week. Gizmo will feelmuch better after her gets his teeth clean. After sevrel times oftaking Flopsy to the vet I realized that when he went to groom himselfhis malocclusion tooth would get caught in his fur. He'd yank his headand sometimes would pull out big chucks of fur. Whenever I see this Igently untangle himout of his fur. I've also noticed that he get a lotof rabbit poo and hair rapped around his teeth so I have to take thatof once a day so that his can breath better. When Flopsy's teeth getlong again I notic that he tends to use his teeth like an shovel and Ialso hand feed him sometimes too. Other than those three thingsFlopsy's fine. Just remember to take him to the vet when you notice histeeth getting long again.

-Ashley

One of our Mini Lop's that we had a while ago hadthat. We used wire cutters to get them down, and he had a lotof trouble digesting his food and had a lot of problems with diareah.He lived 5 years and we kept him as a pet.

If you have to ask this question, there's a good chance you shouldn't be breeding your animals.

hurbledurble wrote:
If you have to ask this question, there's a good chance you shouldn't be breeding your animals.

That statement doesn't make and sense to me....I dont think that bunnylover even breeds bunnies, so why would you say something like that?

~Amy

Amy that pereson posted four posts andthey are the same type. I really think this person is a troll. Becauseafter posting all four replies they disappeared
Tina

oooo Thanks for letting me know :) I am still notvery good at picking out trolls, I always want to believe that all thepeople that come on here care about their rabbits.

~Amy

I know how you feel. It just makes mewant to cry.:( I could see if we were political or something. But likeCarolyn said you kind of have to expect it with over 1,300 members, Ijust hate it that it happens:X and there are always so many that joinon the weekends.

Tina

I wish people wouldnt do that, it can get me real confused sometimes.

I mean seriously, you would have to have NO LIFE if the only thing youwanted to do was come and terrorize a rabbit message board.

~Amy :X

thanks for all your help guys!!!! I took Gizmo inon saturday morning and they trimmed his teeth. they told me i shouldthink about removing 6 insicors...they gave me an estimate of$485.00...i cant afford that rt now but i know i'll do it eventuallywhen i have that extra money.
and hurbledurble doesnt make sense..i asked if anyone else has this problem..that has NOTHING to do with breeding. but whatever

Didnt you say in an earlier post that you bredone ofyour rabbits, or thought it was pregnant? Teethproblems can be hereditary. I *suggest* you have that vet show you howto trim the rabbits teeth until you can save up enough money to havesome dental work done on him. When a rabbit goes off its feed likethat, its not depression.Thats means that there's somethingwrong it, or its ill.Whenever one of mine goes off its feedfor more then a day, I find out what is going on with the rabbit. Andfix the problem by treating the rabbit myself, or seeing a vet ifnecessary.

no i dont have a girl....theres alot of peoplewith bunnylover for their name....but it wasnt me....i have money toget his teeth trimmed but to come up with 485.00 at once can be hard.it will be soon tho.

Latest posts

Back