Teeth to Long

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabjet52

Reaction score
I have a male Dutch and he is about 7 months old. I bought him in April and took him to the vet right after. The vet told me to watch his teeth because the bottoms where getting long. So now his bottom teeth are really long, its like they grew over night. To have a vet trim his teeth will cost $200.00. Can someone give me some ideas? Thank You

Christina and Ceaser:headflick::headflick::headflick::headflick:

Do you give him wood to chew on? Like wooden baby blocks, apple twigs, etc? You might have to take him to the vets to get them trimmed, but have them show you how to do it yourself. I haven't had to do it, but it doesn't look too terribly difficult in the videos I've seen. Good luck with him!

Is it the front teeth or back teeth? Front teeth are easy to trim and should not cost that much, I think it should be around $40 or so depending in the vet. Back teeth are more tricky. Many vets will want to put the rabbit under anaesthetic to trim them which is where the higher cost comes from. However, there are vets who can trim back teeth without having to put the rabbit under, it is a bit more expensive than front teeth, but should not be too much more.
You should call other rabbit vets in your area to see what they say.

If the teeth do not align properly, there is not much that chew items can do. They might help a bit, but the teeth would really need to be trimmed.

It is if front bottom and one on the top that goes inwards. There are only two vets that trim teeth and one charges 200.00 and the other is 120.00. They say it might needs this every 3 months!!! I don't think so:grumpy:

I know of people that trim their rabbits teeth themselves, but you really need to know what you are doing. If not done properly, you could fracture a tooth and cause bigger problems. You need to find someone experienced who can show you how to do it correctly.

I would pay the vet visit the first go around and ask the vet to teach you since this is going to be a recurring thing.

Good luck!

Wow - that's crazy expensive. i used to have a rabbit with freak teeth that just grew and grew until he'd find it hard to eat. No amount of chew toys or tree bark did anything to slow them down, they needed to be cut every so often, but I think I only had it done 3 times in total, and it was AWFUL. You have to be so careful, since they can put their tongue there in a "Get this out of my mouth!" move and that could be nasty if it got caught. The sound of it is vile as well. Poor bunny. I don't think I could do it to be honest. Let us know how things pan out, but I think at most you might be looking at a yearly issue of having to have them done.

Back