tattooes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Wabbits

Reaction score
I hate tattooing my rabbits.... I think I hate it more then they do. Thank goodness for ice to numb the ear. They usually barely feel it if I numb it correctly but....., when the do feel it they jump and so do I. This is one of the worse things bout raising show rabbits in my opinion.

Do you use a clamp-style tatoo kit?

That's what I use, and I like the tatoo's it makes. But, I've heard alot of good things about the electric tatoo pens. They are similar to what is used in human tatoo's. You can easily write whatever you wantin the ear with them, and are only limited by space, lol! I've read that they take a little while to get used to, but once you do you won't go back to the clamp style. I'd like to try one.

I love the electric tattooers. I did a bunch of rabbits for someone this weekend and they all turned out really nice.

I've used a number of different pens and also have a human tattooer that I use on the rabbits.

Pam

Aren't those expensive? The pen ones, I mean.I've never used one before, but when I got my Sammy registered that's what the registrar (don't think I spelled that right) was using. I bet they wouldn't leave the ear as sore, though, there has to be a lot of bruising, with the clamp.

I use the clamp style tattoo as that is what I am used to. My rabbits barely move anymore as I know how to avoid the vein that runs down the middle of the ear. In fact,I was tattooing about 30 baby Rex for my friend and one actually growled at me. I couldn't believe it. I still laugh about it to this day and every time I see that rabbit at as how, I swear he looks at me funny.

I also have an electric tattooer that cost me $340 that I have yet to use. Haven't really figured out how yet. I tried on a banana and that was bad:)

Yeah, I hit that big vein the first time I did a tatoo, but not since. I was so horrified at how bad the little guy bled, I have watched it like a hawk even three years later.

Has anyone ever had problems with the rabbit moving when you use the pen tatt? Would the pen tatt hurt less than the clamp?

I swaddle the rabbits in a towel to limit movement. Some people use the bunny "burritos"(wraps), but I know of a registrar who broke a number of rabbits backs when using that type of wrap.

Pam

I sit "indian style" (legs folded and crossed)and put the rabbit in the middle with his front feet across my left thigh. I find that this way, the only way they can run is forward. I haven't had any problems with this method. Also, as I squeeze the clamp, I have my hand over their head and eyes so this keeps them still and seems to calm them.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back