Tattoo Sequences

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
I just got my tattoo pliers today (YAY!) and i'm going to be tattooing tonight, hopefully. My question was this...is there a specific letter designated for each year? Like this year for goats is "W"....is it the same way w/ rabbits, or do i just pick what i want in their ear???

Thanks!

Ellie

You pick whatever you want. I like to put the rabbit's name in the ear, but there are many different types of letter/number systems that breeders use.

Pam

For the last 2 1/2 yrs, I was using the first 4-5 digits of their names... but this year it all changed.

I was finding that some rabbits were hard to pick names for & I want to save my really good names for those really awesome rabbits.... so this year I moved to Alpha-Numeric.

I have Mini Rex in various colors... so the method I'm using now is this:

For Bucks it is ***### (LX1, CH3, LI2, RW34)

For Does it is ###*** (2LX, 1CH, 3LI, 10RW)

(* stands for the color code: CH=Chocolate, LI=Lilac, LX=Lynx, RW=REW and the # stands for the next numberin sequence for that color.)

This way I can tattoo at 6 weeks (I use a 3/16" Clamp now) and wait until they mature to pick the names that "fit" them.

~Sunshine

Igo in numerical sequence. I start withthe letters SR (for Starlight Rabbitry) and give the rabbit the next number that is available. I think I am up toSR192, so SR193 would be next. This is only for the Dutch. Since the Jersey Woolies have smaller ears, Idropped the letter R. I think for Woolies I am up to S23 or near that.

I keep excellent records as I have a terrible memory so I don't need to worry about keeping track of who is who and when they were born.

Sharon

when i bred all my tattoos fallowed these lines:

K (always first, for "Katt's" as my rabbitry was Katt's Rabbitry) then the year number (for the # of years i was in rabbits, like my last litter had a 5 as it was my 5th year of breeding), the litter letter (restarted this at the new year, and each breed had its own abc's), then the kit number (even for girls, odd for boys)

so i might have a kit called "Katt's K347"

so, that kit would have been born in my 3rd year of breeding, from my 4th litter of that year for the breed and would have been kit number 7. . .it took me a while to get a good system, but it worked for me and the number of litters i tattooed.

also, i tattooed "PET" in rabbits that either by appearance or genetically i didn't want to sell as breeding or show stock, that way when people came out to buy rabbits all i would have to say is that "PET" tattoos mean no pedigrees and not show/brood quality.

basically, you find your own system and go with it

*mistake*

sorry, but i had a typo. . .the tattoo *should* have read "Katt's K3D7" wrote 4 instead of 'd'

my bad!

I like the idea of PET in the ear.

I also tatoo with my rabbitry prefix FTF or FT and the number of kit....ie..FTF16.

I record on the doe's breeding record card the numbers I used on the kits in the litter.

My tatoo system was their birthdate, like Snickers was born March 4, 2006, and his tatoo was 3406. I'm changing it now, and some little 4-H rabbits will be tatooed with my last name's letter, followed by "R" for Rabbitry, and then a number. I think The next one will be HR8. I haven't kept a lot of my rabbits, but when I sell the mismarksat the pet shop, I'll usually put their birthdate in theor ear. If I'm using a rabbit forcommercial market, I'll put it's b-day in the left ear and a zero in the right one. I can take them out and know what their purpose is, then.

I use the month of birth, sire's tattoo, and numbers for bucks/does

A- January B- FebruaryC- March and so forth.

First letter of the sire's tattoo

Bucks are even numbers and does are odd.

So a buck born in May who's sire is RO would be:
ER2

If I already have a rabbit with the exact tattoo I just add a 1-9 to the end of the tattoo and numerical order.

You can tattoo in the right ear, but remember to leave space for the registration insignia in the event that the rabbit is registered. Some people do put a small rabbitry "brand" in the lower part of theright ear.

Pam

I use HVR__ HVR is the intials of my rabbitry Highland View Rabbitry, then I go in numerical order, does are even numbers bucks are odd numbers. for example a doe's tattoo would be HVR02, and a bucks would be HVR01

My brother only has a few rabbits so he used the first letter of the dam and sires name and if the offspring is a boy the sire's initial is first and if it is a doe the dam's initial is first, and then a two digit number following in numerical order for example if the sires name was Bambi and the Dam's was thumper, and the resulting offspring was a buck it would be BT01 if the second kit in the litter was a doe it would be TB02

Julia

Okay, sample tattoo ID for me:

SCWA1

"SC" is rabbitry initials

"W" stands for the year (2006)

"A" stands for the first litter that year...a "B" would mean second litter that year

"1" stands for it's own personal # and that it is a buck (an even number means a doe)

Yay! It took me a couple days of pondering a little bit to finally decide on what i wanted to do. Thanks for all your comments!!

Ellie and the Furkids :bunnydance:

I haven't yet read all the read all of the responses - here is my system.

Each litter is assigned a letter of the alphabet - I started with A - after my first 26 litters I went to "AA" and "AB" etc. etc. Once I've gone through the A's that way, I'll do "BA", etc.

Anyway - my bucks are odds - my does are evens. So my best buck in the litter would be "AA1" or "AI1"the letters tell me the litter - the number tells me the placement and sex within the litter. My best doe would be "AI2" for example.

Let's say that my AM litter has 3 does and a buck. I'd have "AM1", "AM2", "AM4" and "AM6". Some folks who know my system only want to see the rabbits that are #s 1-4 in my litters since they know they're getting either the best buck/doe or the 2nd best buck/doe within the litter (like if I'm keeping the best).

Whatever you decide - I'm sure it will work for you. :D

Peg

Latest posts

Back