Tapeworm and Tape Worm Tabs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch4Kat

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a Dutch rabbit from a shelter and before I take him to a vet I thought I would ask here first. I noticed in his droppings the off white rice shaped piece only like every two days (only one of two of them) none on his rear-end - is this tapeworm? If so can one use Praziquantel tabs (Tape worm tabs) made for cats on rabbits? Thanks for any info.

Could also be roundworm, pinworm or other type of worm. Best to get an accurate diagnosis from the vet so proper treatment can be given.

Pam

Hi, welcome to RO. :)

Can you put your location in your profile? That will help determine resources and products available in your area.

I know that Praziquantel is safe for rabbits when adminstered correctly with the proper dosages IF the problem really is tapeworms and not another worm. That has to be determined by the vet.

What's the brand name of the tabs btw? Just Praziquantel tabs?

Welcome again!

sas :bunnydance:

The product is called Tape Worm Tabs by Praziquantel (they have it for dogs & cats) - These pieces that I see in droppings also don't move, other than that he has lots of energy and eats well. But I will take a sample to the vet to be sure what it is.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Hi Dutch...

I just went through this with Alaska. She's had a tapeworm just about her entire life, it was never caught because tapeworms do not show up on routine fecal exams, they have to do a special type of "float" to detect the presence of tapeworms. I did not know there was a problem until they showed up in her poop. My vet gave me Droncit to kill the tapeworm.

I also want to let you know that tapeworms in domestic rabbits are very rare. Pinworms are not, so that may be what your bun has. You will definately want to take your bun to the vet to have them do a float on a stool sample.

One more thing :) If your bunny does have a tapeworm, rest assured that you cannot get it....unless you eat him.

yuck! sorry you have to deal with this. i just wanted to say that a lot of shelters have special after-adoption health insurance. read your adoption materials/contract and see if they cover health issues that arise immediately after adopting--that could help you pay for a vet visit.;)

Latest posts

Back