Tank - I give up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know about my rabbit Tank, here's the thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14424&forum_id=1

I'm getting to the point now where I think I have to give himup. I've tried and tried and he is still a monster.I mean, I've grown attached to him for some reason but I just can'tcontinue like this. He is dangerous. He isconstantly attacking and biting me and I'm sick of it. I haveso many bite marks on me. Yesterday when I was trying to fillhis food bowl he lunged at me and latched onto my pant like and wasdangling there and wiggling around like a rabid dog! My kneeis all cut up now. I dont know what the best thing to do nowis. I mean, i dont want to give him to someone who mightabuse him because he is so mean. I just don't know....i mean,maybe a guy will want him, he is nice to men......???? anyideas?

Does your friends boyfriend like him?Maybe he could take him. Just a thought. I reallycommend you for being soooooooooooooooooo patient and doing all youhave for him. That is really something, too bad it's just notworking out. Keep us posted.

unfortanetly my friend's boyfriend doesnt want to take him. :(

ugh....maybe i should stick it out. I really do love him, forsome CRAZY reason. I'm just tired of getting bit all thetime. I'm afraid one day he'll bite me so bad i'll needstitches.

Glad you're sticking w/ it, I see you've gotten quite attached to him, that's cute, considering.

Sorry, but, how long have you had him now? A year maybe? Has he gotten neutered yet?

good job on sticking with him for so long =D

just a suggestion...maybe you can cut your hair short and let it growback so it will think males and females are good as he slowly see's youtransform ... not really transform lol but like see your hair slowlygrowing back or something? just a suggestion :D

my sisters rabbit is alot like that too hecharges and it does seem like he is just following me around but whenhe is mad. he punches and bites he made a holes in alot of my jeans butit might also be because his backround wasnt that great so we just putup with it .
Is your rabbit spayed or neutered if its not that may help alot .

For your own safety, get a feeder and waterbottle that can be filled from the outside of the cage. Forthe safety of others, keep a lock and warning sign on thecage. If he needs to be removed from the cage, use a towel tocover him.

It's rather rare, but I occasionally see bucks like yours that can bevery dangerous. A young lady showed me the numerous stitcheson her arm that were holding together a very nasty bitewound. I recently received a nasty bite from aNetherland Dwarf - he clamped right down to the bone :(

I would most certainly not give him to anyone else. If youare unable to keep him, I advise having him humanelyeuthanized. He is simply to dangerous to be adopted intoanother home.

Pam

If he is not neutered, try that, but otherwise,I don't know... unless he is a completely different bunny with men, Iwould have him euthanized..

I never thought I would hear this on this forum,but, yes, I have to agree that that might be the only solution to thisbunny's terror, is Rainbow Bridge, maybe he so wants to goHOME. :rainbow:????

I agree with Pam and Snuffles that the best long-term solution may be to have him euthanized.

In the mean time, give yourself a big pat on the back; you've been so patient with him and done the best you can.
Great job! :hug1:bouquet:

I have to say I am on the fence aboutthis. From what I've read of the other thread it had seemedlike he was starting to do better until recently.

Only one other thing I can think of is to tire him out of this bitingissue. Don't let him get a reaction out of you from bitingand charging. To do this, you would need some protective gearlike oven mits. While wearing these you could go and startpetting him. Then he might start biting at you but you justkeep petting him since he can't harm you. This will probablytake some time where you'll have to do this probably at least once aday for 5-15 mins but after some time he'll learn that biting andcharging has become ineffective in getting what he wants so he mightstop.

Thanks Greta! I certainly didn't wantto say it. I just glad someone agrees w/ me. Iwould never want this-ever. Maybe the rabbit is sufferingsome neurological disorder. :dunno::bigtears:Godwill guide you both.

Thanks for your support guys. This isreally hard. I'm going to wait a little while longer beforemaking any drastic decisions. I mean, i try EVERYTHING and hedoesnt seem happy. his cage is huge and i even gear up to puta leash on him and take him for walks. He seems to like thewalks but i think i've only see him to a binky once or twice and hejust seems to be angry all the time. I give him toys which hedestroys. i dont know if he is having fun destroying the toysor if he just flat out hates thetoys.thissituation is really breaking myheart.:cry4: i dont want to give up on him justyet. he is nice to my femalerabbits......they dont really like him though. they justtolerate him. he licks them and tries to play with them somaybe its just me.:(

Hi ILTC,

Tank sure is giving you a hard time, eh!?!

I know you've probably tried everything, but here's some more..

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html#extreme

It took a long long long time for Rosieroo to accept us.
She was abandoned outside in the winter...we're not sure how long she was out there with her bunnie companions.
Buck Jones and The Missus rescued Rosie....but it took hours of chasing her around back and forth across the highway.
I drove down in the middle of a blizzard and brought her home....whereshe was given a cage in a room with a bunch of strange bunnies.
She bonded with my younger daughter for a couple of weeks, but then turned very aggressive.
Charging, grunting, pawing, nipping, and BITING HARD TO DRAWBLOOD....all were on the new agenda. Put your hand in the cage or touchANYTHING of hers and look out.

A couple of months ago Rosie needed to have her nails clipped. I put onmy "body armor", took a deep breath, got a thick towel, and headed forher cage. I tossed the towel over her and scooped her up. I quicklymade her into a burrito and put her on her back intent on clipping asquickly as possible. By the time I finished her back nails (furthestfrom the mouth!!), she had calmed down considerably. She just laidthere quietly while I clipped the front nails. I think that day was ourday of understanding each other. I took her out of her cage and didn'thurt her. I put her back in her cage unharmed. ANNNND she got specialtreats. Now when I reach into her cage she just hops over to see whatI'm doing....instead of running to the corner and preparing to attack.I'm still on my guard, but she's so much nicer now. I think she trustsme.

Prayers and good thoughts for you and Tank to come to an understanding.

`jim

I'm totally shocked that some of you havesuggested putting him down. You wouldn't 'euthanize' a human if theywere being a little difficult now, would you? Shame on you. :mad:

queenadreena wrote:
I'm totally shocked that some of you have suggested puttinghim down. You wouldn't 'euthanize' a human if they were being a littledifficult now, would you? Shame on you. :mad:

I don't think the members who made that suggestion should be ashamed atall. As much as we all love rabbits here, I think we canagree that you cannot equate euthanizing a rabbit with euthanizing ahuman. Sorry, but that is not a fair comparison.Tank's owner had clearly tried for months to help Tank, but there isonly so much she can do. It is not fair for her to live withan animal that she is afraid of and that injures her. It alsowouldn't be fair to give him to someone else. There arelimited options here, and at least euthanizing him would be a humaneone.

I know you can't compare rabbits to humans,really, but he deserves to live too does he not? It just seemssad and wrong to me for someone else to decide if he dies if he's notactually ill.:(

Maybe take him to a rabbit behaviourist, like this one.

Sometimes the decision to euthanize an animalmust be made when the animal is not "physically"ill. It is never an easy decision. But itis VERY easy for some to judge. Just remember that only oneperson knows 100% how that animal is. And it isvery wrong for others to judge because of it.

We had a calico cat at one time. She was born under my son'sbed. We loved her dearly. She was a wirechewer. We tried EVERY spray we could. She stillchewed. We tried hot sauce. She stillchewed. We tried the hard coverings for the wires.She still chewed. We thought we had everythingcovered and she climbed into the entertainment center and hung upsidedown to get at the 1/16 of an inch of cord that was between thecovering and the stereo. She was zapped probably 1/2 dozentimes till she started to go bald from it. She was superloving and we tried and tried. I took her to thevet and spent alot of money getting her tested to see if there was adeficiency somewhere. We switched foods. She STILLchewed wires. I dealt with it for 4 years. Finallywe had to make the decision to put her down BEFORE she started a fireand killed or injured someone. (She came VERY close tostarting a fire just before that but we found it in time).Was it easy? NO Did I want to do it? NO But I hadto take the safety of my family and put that before the life of ananimal. I don't think I could have lived withmyself if one of my children was severly burned because I put the lifeof a cat before their safety.

So yes I can say that sometimes the life of a "physically" healthyanimal has to be taken because their "mental" health is not there andthey are a danger to the ones who love them. And if you haveto get to the point that you do have to do this to your bun know thatyou are in my prayers, because it is not an easy decision.And know that if you have to do that your bunny will be happy at theRainbow Bridge and will be at peace.

Latest posts

Back