Taming rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got two bunnies this past year, and no matter how much i try I cant get them to like me.
I have pretty much given up. For months i would go out three times a day to handle them for thirty minutes a time. I am doing something wrong? when i go to their hutch they shrink in the corner and hope i dont touch them.

Any tricks on getting them nice again??
They might have come from bad backgrounds, I dont know. The people seemed to take good care of them but at the time i didnt know what to look for when buying them.
help?

Rabbits are a prey animal, so they are naturally more timid animals. If they come from a breeder or pet owner who didn't handle them much as babies, or didn't select for good temperaments, they may have that shy or skittish temperament.

Sometimes you can overcome that by housing the rabbits inside where they are around people more often. Allowing them to explore the room while you lay on the floor and watch TV or read a book gives them the chance to get familiar with you. But sometimes, they really just don't enjoy much handling or attention.

If you haven't yet, I would try spending more time with them on the floor. Sometimes carrying or holding them can be intimidating if you haven't really bonded yet. But usually if you sit still on the floor and let them explore, they will eventually come to you. :)

They are outside rabbits that live currently in hutches. So I cant do floor time YET
However! I have about one more days worth of work before I finish their new pen area. Its a section in our barn that will allow them to run around all day, and it will be predator proof. (not as much as the hutches, but they will be happier)
I can do floor time in there and that will help.
Also, can I use straw as a bedding? I dont want them on straight dirt, so I was going to put down bedding.

I agree that the best way to tame them is to let them live inside with you. If they're outside, and you only spend short amounts of time with them, I'm not sure how comfortable they will ever get with you. Though I think if they have a pen where you can sit in the pen with them, that will be much better.

My rabbits were both really skittish and terrified of me when I adopted them. But since they live in my living room, they've gradually become accustomed to me, and now beg for treats and follow me around.

My bunny is social sometimes, but only with me as of now. I lay on the floor a lot when I'm home and let him out of his cage and let him roam around my room. He usually goes and hides for a little bit then comes out and hops around me. Sometimes he sniffs my face or sits on my back if i'm laying down. Especially when I'm on my laptop, he will look at the screen and walk across it.
He was and still is very skiddish. But I found that just laying on the floor makes him get used to my presence.

I was having some problems with B being aggressive (biting and scratching) but I was always reaching into her cage. So I moved it down to the floor so she could come out and roam more freely during the day without me having to reach into her cage. Then multiple times a day for the last week I get down on the floor with her & let her come to me. I started out bringing a treat or a veggie with me, but haven't needed anything the second half of this week.

Now she runs to me when I enter the living room & practically bounds out of her cage when I get the door open. I'm still cautious when I'm cleaning her cage or filling up her food bowl because she is right there each time 'protecting' her cage. I just take my time & let her sniff around what I'm doing & I've avoided getting attacked again so far.

That is what is working for us so far, and we've seen a huge change in B. Hopefully your new pen does the trick!

Latest posts

Back