talking to potential vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What questions should I ask prospective vets, and what kinds of answers will be indicators that they are good? There are several "small animal hospitals" in my area, is that the same thing as a vet?

This HRS article is quite thorough . Numbers of rabbit treated successfully is a good indicator that the vet is good , however, you cannot rely on the vet office being totally honest.

reading reviews of vets and hospitals on line may also be helpful

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Offices termed 'small animals" generally mean dogs cats and not always exotics.

This is the forum list from you area, however you still need to ask questions

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12663&forum_id=9

A key question to ask is at what age will the vet do a spay or neuter. Some will do it at 4 months if the pet is hormonal, but others would rather wait until 6 months, when the rabbit is bigger & easier to operate on. I'm not sure which is the right answer, but the vet's explanation of his/her choice is important. If they can't explain why, I'd look further. Also ask how a rabbit should be prepared for surgery. If they say the rabbit has to fast, move on. Rabbits can't throw up, so fasting is unnecessary & throws off their digestive track.

Don't pass up a Vet who's willing to learn. If you feel comfortable with a Vet that is atuned to small animals and willing to learn, you can't ask for more than that.

Yes there are bad vets out there, just like there are bad doctors. You have to feel comfortable. That's the key. And you will know just how the vet handles your rabbit.

And regarding Vets that work with Breeders, I have to respectfully disagree with HRS regarding them NOT thinking of them as companions. There are good and bad breeders as well who just think of their rabbits as chattel or money. Don't knock all because of a few bad.

K:)

Back