Talking to "non-bunny" people

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I just can't get is whether or not you think an animal is cute, pet worthy or not, interesting or not, how can anyone be cruel to any animal no matter what it is? I admit, I cannot stand cats, I would rather have a rabid pet starving hippo than a cat, but hey if I saw one lost or starving outside I would feed it, help find it's owner, get it out of the cold, whatever is necessary. Just because I don't want it as a pet or think it is cute doesn't mean I would want to hurt it in any way.

People who do things like that have serious issues that trace back to other things besides animals. I kniow it sounds crazy but a lot of serial killers or killers in general were known to abuse animals when they were children, today that is a tell tale sign of a person deeply troubled.

Animal cruelty is a whole 'nother issue. I'm certainly not saying that people who don't like rabbits or don't care to learn about them are bad people. Far from the case. It's just that I feel an obligation to try to educate on behalf of rabbits when I see a scenario like my friends' case, where the bunny could clearly enjoy a better quality of life with some minor adjustments by her human companions.

Hmmm...well my experiences have been a bit different! When people find out about the animals I have (a dog, a rabbit, 4 turtles and 12 chickens) they are usually very interested! They ask all kinds of questions about how I take care of them etc.

People I know better are always asking me if I have any more "animal stories". They seem to especially like the bun and rooster's antics!

However, I do have to admit I get a lot of jokes about "fried chicken", "turtle soup" and "rabbit stew"!

Gordon wrote:
A friend of mine is having me over for dinner on Wednesday night, and she told me that her husband "got a rabbit" recently, and since she knows I'm a rabbit fellow, she said we'd probably have something to talk about. I asked her what type of rabbit it is, and she gave me the stock answer that just always rubs me the wrong way... "uh, a white one". Why do non-rabbit people act so indifferent to the breed or generally seem exasperatingly disinterested in talking about bunnies? I don't understand it. I'm not a "dog person", but I know a little about the different types of dogs and always engage a person about his or her puppy. I walk away feeling insulted when I talk to non-rabbit people, as if I'm somehow weird.

When I started telling my friend about finding a rabbit-savvy vet, she just interrupted me, and said "tell Ben(her husband) about all that".

I'm sure most of you have encountered the puzzled looks and insensitive questions from non-rabbit people.

Just venting...

Gordon
I totally understand your issue but think about it this way. They don't care about the subject of bunnies. Okay, I know that seems rude but why is that not okay? Do you know the amount of times I ask people what kinda car they have only to hear "Tiburon". If you're not a car person that's all you know. If you're a car person you realize that every class or model and every "generation" looks quite different and really is like different brands of dogs or cats or bunnies. But many people don't care and don't even know the yea their car is. I just get used to it anfd realize that some people just don't care about what I care about and that's fine. I just move along.

Latest posts

Back