Talking to "non-bunny" people

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
A friend of mine is having me over for dinner on Wednesday night, and she told me that her husband "got a rabbit" recently, and since she knows I'm a rabbit fellow, she said we'd probably have something to talk about. I asked her what type of rabbit it is, and she gave me the stock answer that just always rubs me the wrong way... "uh, a white one". Why do non-rabbit people act so indifferent to the breed or generally seem exasperatingly disinterested in talking about bunnies? I don't understand it. I'm not a "dog person", but I know a little about the different types of dogs and always engage a person about his or her puppy. I walk away feeling insulted when I talk to non-rabbit people, as if I'm somehow weird.

When I started telling my friend about finding a rabbit-savvy vet, she just interrupted me, and said "tell Ben(her husband) about all that".

I'm sure most of you have encountered the puzzled looks and insensitive questions from non-rabbit people.

Just venting...

Gordon

I know exactly how you feel! My friend Emily got a rabbit! She barely knows anything about them!

First off she didn't know what the breed was. Second I went over to her house and she had a PLATE that had a little bit of pet store hay. It was only about a tiny handful of hay. I told her that her bunny needed WAY more than that! Her cage is also only like 2 feet long. She said her bunny didn't need a lot of room because she is small! :shock: And when the bun is not in the cage she is outside the WHOLE day! :grumpy:

Now that I got another bunny she wants another! I told her NO. Her rabbit is not fixed and then her rabbit would get pregnate. And then she says that it would be cute to have baby bunnies! NO NO NO!!!:tantrum: I told her that it wouldn't be cute when one got sick and it ended up spreading to all the babies! 1,000s of dollars of vet bills that she doesn't have!

I just get sooo mad at her sometimes!!:boxing

Oh, believe me, I know JUST what you mean. I'm not the ONLY animal-lover in our group of friends, but I'm certainly the most animal-crazy, that's for sure!

I find it crappy sometimes that I take a genuine interest in their lives and their loves, and their interests, when bunnies are CLEARLY an interest of mine, and I just get flippant, ignorant comments from them in response...and that's if they don't just plain brush me off, or start talking to someone else because they're not interested. And these are otherwise very nice people!

I wish people would take more time to care about other people's lives and interests...or at least be sensitive about them.

But, I guess I can't just pass my passion on to them, like sharing a glass of soda...unfortunately.

:grumpy:

I know exactly what you guys meen, my mates think im mad because I love bunnys and I bore them talking about them 24/7. My mate Sarah might be getting a rabbit soon, which is cool because now at least I have someone to talk to about it all. There is someone else who keeps them locked up all day! Ive said stuff before but theve done nothing!!!!

Bracon I am exactly like you!! I am thinking about rabbits basically all day every day- and i think I mention them about a 100 times a day!

If it's not 'Benji this....' , 'Pippin that', its 'do you have a rabbit?' and stuff like that.

I know people with rabbits- but none of them want to talk about them- as if they don't care or are just indifferent to it all. Well- lots of them their parents look after the rabbits and stuff.

I just can't believe more people aren't rabbit crazy. We had to do this thing at work where we intoduce people to others, and someone described me as 'a rabbit obsessed girl' lol! I was like- yeah true enough!

My sister gets a right earful about rabbits every day lol, and when she says things lke 'you dont get as much love returned to you from rabbits as you do from dogs'- boy does she get another earful! lol hehe.

I usually dont tell people i have rabbits.i sometimes get the blank stare.if i say i have 40 people think i have lost my mind.most people dont know they have rabbit shows except maybe the fair.:shock: bluebird

monk lover,i raise Netherland dwarfs and ill tell you the fun i had last month.my best show doe had 2 dead babies,my broken does babies got out of the nest and died,my orange doe had 2 peanut babies which died.some dwarf does are too small too even have babies.if you get a doe with a stuck baby you are in for a huge vet bill because she might require an emergency c section.you can lose the doe and the babies.bluebird

Lol if I had a choice- speak to bunny people or non-bunny people- I would choose bunny people. Unfortunately I do not have that choice beucase all I know are non-bunny people. So they have to put up with the fact that I talk bout bunnies lots!

Ur the only bunny people I know lol! Except one other person I talk 2 occasionally at work- but shes not very bunny-y.

I'm even known as THE bunny lady at the vets and they see lots of rabbit owners there! I think about rabbits all day. When I'm at work I wonder what they're up to and I always love to talk about them. Everyone thinks I'm mad. I don't have any rabbit owner friends (excluding this forum of course) mine are all non-rabbit owners so they all think I am off my head!

One thing I have noticed about most rabbit owners is that they are very knowledgeable and very passionate about rabbits. I haven't come across many other animal owners who are as knowledgeable about their animals or as craaazyyy as rabbit owners!!

The people who left their bunnies for us to bunnysit, always have a list of things for meto do and to feed for their bunnies. :p

But in the end, I am educating them with better foods to eat, giving them space and exercise they don't get,
and training them to use the litter box with Woody Pet and a screen.

Rainbows! :D

That is really stupid!
4_2_103.gif

Non-bunny people are insane.. who couldn't live without abunny.. or two.. or 5!

People always ask me if I still have my rabbits.. yes of course I do. I don't go around asking if they have their cat or dog anymore!

People treat rabbits like they do fish, they win them at a carnival or easter for free then throw them out when they're done with them. :grumpy:

~Bracon~ wrote:
LOL if I didnt id have very few friends :D
Ditto. Only one other person I know owns a rabbit...

I'm the only bunny person I know in the immediate area. Although I did talk to a lady at the vet's office once who was there with two bonded bunnies and several crates full of guinea pigs, all going for their annual checkup.:D

One of my coworkers used to ask me a lot about bunnies because he and his adult daugher were trying to convince his wife to adopt one. His daugher works that the shelter. They ended up fostering a litter of baby guinea pigs and adopted two of them instead. Now we talk about naughy piggies and naughty bunnies!

But that's about it. My animal-loving friends mostly understand, mostly because they've met my buns and know how I feel about them. They bunnysit for me when I'm gone and I trust them. Everyone else makes jokes about eating them. *shudder* Or they ask why I'd bother with them now that I have cats, or talk about how dumb bunnies are. To which I say "Well, maybe if you gave them more than a tiny cage to sit in they'd show you what they can do." Oh well.

Everytime someone hears I have rabbits all hear is jokes about eating them. "Pet rabbits huh, I guess you'll never go hungry, lol." I usally tell them how clever they are and if they just came up with that.:raspberry:

Back