Talked to a breeding business.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie Lee

Reaction score
Hey Every bunny.

So I buy my feed from a local fodder store because I find it being more organic than what I find at the supermarket.

Anyway... The fodder breed a lot of bunnies,
they have maybe 3 or 4 Rex's
they have 2 "angora's" but these angoras have mini lop face and ears but just super wooly, almost like a cashmere mini lop but a lot bigger... they said they're pure bred but I think they're just saying that.
they have a couple NZ
and maybe 5 or 6 Neth Dwarfs
and the rest are supposed to be pure mini lops but they definitely look dwarf lops.

So we really like the people and they're really nice to us but I went in to buy a nesting box hoping they'd have one because it would save me time from getting one made but the man gave me a blank look and said "I've never even heard of a rabbit needing a nesting box" then I was like okay it's fine we can make one and then he was like are you sure she's pregnant... and asked if the male was still with my doe.
I said we bred her but I didn't palpate her and then he laughed and was like ..."What?.. Palpate?" I've never heard of any of this ya di ya da...
Then he was like well what we do is... and what he explained seemed not right to me.

He said they put the female and male together and leave them together for 4 WEEKS! and then take him out when 4 weeks is over so she can give birth.
then he said then you will have a lot of blood and stuff all over the nest she makes and you can't touch that or the babies or she will kill them and you cant clean out the blood or that will take her scent away and she wont recognize the babies as hers...

So I was like...4 weeks? that's two long. and he said his boss has been breeding rabbits for god knows how long..

But It makes me really worried thinking their does are left with the buck for 4 weeks until she gets a break to give birth if she even has a healthy birth but I'm confused as to why she has blood and everything all over the place and isn't cleaning it up?

I tried to tell him touching the kits and stuff is a myth but he said its not and they will kill the babies.

my boyfriend is telling me to leave it be and its their business how they run it kind of thing.
But isn't this not nice for the doe to go through this? and once ages ago I saw the doe had a little kit with her but they put the male back in with her to re-breed her but now I'm thinking that male was with her and her kit for 4 weeks and who knows if that kit was a female...

I want to print out all this information for them to get some clue into their heads.
but then I couldnt do that because I would seem so rude and nosy. and I don't want to make anybody angry.
and I don't want to intrude... =/

I really would have to agree with your boyfriend. They sound like they were very misinformed and no matter what you say it probably wont change their minds.

:(
Well that's two against one so I best calm myself and just suck it up.
It just makes me really upset thinking they keep their bunnies
in those small dog crates for like 3 to 4 years to keep breeding them constantly ...

Also I wanted to thank you Sarah for that website of those wood pellets. I emailed them asking where I can get it.
But they have no suppliers in my state as of yet but he said he would contact me if any changes happen.

I know what you mean. But some buns just live the breeding life. It makes me feel worse for the doe more so than the buck lol. As long as they have good living conditions with food and water readily available I dont see how you can legally change anything.

You're welcome! I hope they can let you know. Those wood pellets are awesome.

Latest posts

Back