Takoda has Pasteurella. :'(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayndance

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know it's been a year or so, but I have some sad news about Takoda (or Koda, I usually call him). He was just diagnosed with pasteurella and I am heartbroken by this news.

This is going to be kind of a long post, so bare with me. I have been moving frequently and due to some major family problems, I had to move back to Portland, OR from Medford, OR on a very short notice. Unfortunately I could not take Koda with me for the first two months of me being back in Portland, so he stayed with my Dad and and my Dad agreed to care for him until Koda was able to be returned to me.

While Koda was staying with my Dad in Medford, I ordered Koda's supplies online and had it directly shipped to my Dad's door so he didn't have to hassle with getting his food and litter himself. However, when I tried to send money to my Dad to get Koda scheduled for a yearly checkup and his regular nail trim, my Dad somewhat refused to take him in due to being "too busy". Out of the two months Koda was in my father's care, he did not have one hour to take him to the vet that was literally not even a block from his house.

For some reason while Koda and I were away from each other, I had a really bad feeling about Koda's health overall. He was staying in the garage (with the garage door opening and closing constantly), with next to no sunlight, nor socializing besides my Dad checking his food and water. I was very worried that Koda was becoming depressed without me around to take care of him, and it made me upset that my father could not take the time to take him into the vet.

About a couple weeks ago, I finally got my bunny back from my Dad when he came to visit my Nana in Portland. As soon as I brought him home, I noticed something was wrong and Koda was not himself. I could hear him breathing heavily from across the room and when I lightly touched his sides, I could feel his ribs AND a horrid whooshing as he breathed. This scared me to death and I really thought I was going to need to take him to emergency care. I waited until the next morning and my roommate was able to take me to get him checked.

Another week later (today) I got Koda's culture results back from the vet and he has pasteurella. I am so saddened to know that my bunny could have been suffering from this for who knows how long, and my Dad did not even notice a thing about it. Koda has not been around rabbits for the past two or so years I've had him, so I have no idea how he got it.

I'm reaching out to you guys for some help now, and possible comfort about this situation. I know at least some of you know about this illness and have experience taking care of bunnies with it. What have you done to make your bunny as comfortable as possible?

Koda is taking 2cc of Ambipen (penicillin) a day via syringe and pro pectalin via oral treatment. I have seen some major improvements since starting treatment a week ago (I barely hear him breathing anymore, he doesn't seem to be in major discomfort, he's binkying when he sees me or my roommate come into the room)... so I am just terrified about seeing him wither in time and I am not sure what to do. ANY kind of advice would help. Thanks so much everyone. <3

Also, I should mention that he is also underweight and since I do not know exactly what breed he is, I am not sure what his regular weight should be. He was about 5 pounds when I adopted him, and now he's 3.87 pounds ever since he came back from my father's. I feel HORRIBLE and feel like a terrible bunny mommy for not housing him in a better home until I could actually bring him into my "permanent" housing situation. :( I love him so much and it broke my heart seeing him struggle with breathing the first night I had him back. I'm also angry with my Dad for not noticing any symptoms of illness. He said if he would have noticed anything, he would have taken him to the vet... I don't believe him.

My father was also not feeding him his regular salad for the two months he was there, so I believe he is malnourished. He only had access to hay and water, as well as an occasional treat and his chewing log. His feet and undersides are also pretty dirty, so does anyone have any advice for that? He hasn't gotten a nail trimming in the two months he was there too, so his nails are super long but I will be taking him into the vet for a nail trimming soon. They are probably so long that I'll have to take him in multiple times over the course of a month or so so trim them little by little, to not cut the quick.

So frustrated, guys... just heartbroken in general that I can't even trust the person I trusted most with my bunny anymore. :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny, I had a similar thing happen but with my old housemate and my rat Dante she told one of we friends that I didn't ask her to feed him (which by the way I know I defiantly did) anyway when I got home he was so sick and he didn't make it through the night at the vet.
If he is doing better on medication that is a really good sign! I'm sorry I don't have any experience with that illness. But as fare as cleaning butts go I'm getting pretty good with Shida now, I get a bowl of warm water and a cloth and a towel and put her on her back, clean her but with the warm water and cloth and then dry her off. She wasn't even bothered by it all.
Again I am sorry that he was in a bad way when he came home and I certainly know that feeling of guilt about leaving them with someone you think you can trust, the only two people I trust now is my carer who gave me Shida and my partner Josh who loves her as much as I do

Many rabbits have pasteurella, it just often remains dormant in the system until the rabbit is stressed or similar and then it tends to take hold. Which sounds like what has happened in this case.

The hay and water should not be causing poopy butt I wouldn't think. Does he usually get pellets as well? I would personally stick with the hay and slowly reintroduce small amounts of pellets, the pellets should help with weight gain and nutrition as well.

As a side note, I've visited Medford in the Summer and I think it's absolutely stunning, such beautiful countryside around there and land forms :)

I'm sorry to hear about Takoda. :( Poor little guy. I'm glad to hear he's on the mend, and feeling much happier with you and your roommate around, evidenced by all his binkies. :)

:pray: I've not dealt with pasteurella myself, so I can't offer much advise, but I hope Takoda fares well. Sending well wishes from Clem, Felix and me!

Latest posts

Back