Taking Rabbit's Temperature

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
Now that viral season is upon us with avengence, it's important to know how to take your rabbit's bodytemperature because a rise or fall in body temperature is often thefirst sign of illness.

"All pet owners should have a baby thermometer. Apply some lubricant tothe thermometer, insert it gently into the rectum, and hold it therefor about 1 minute. Normal rabbit temperature is about 101o F to 103oF."

Source:http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-4/emergency-preparedness.html

This site gives excellent instructions on taking the rabbit's temperature:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

Pam

Thanks Pam , great post , especially for those who domt know how to take temperatures.

I dont know if they even sell them anymore ....but just a lil side note after reading this

...Unless you are really good at taking a bunnies temp. Iwould steer away from any and all glass thermometers ...I can justpicture the rabbit thrashing and it going terribly wrong...

I think the plastic digital versions are best suited for this.

(I know it mentions this in the second link..but you know not everyone is going to read the links)

Carolyn suggested this awhileago, and the last time I was at the vets,I had them show me how to take a temperaturereading. Pebbles didn't enjoy itthough... she peed all over the vetsshirt. :faint:

Rainbows! :D

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Carolyn suggested this awhile ago, andthe last time I was at the vets, I had them show mehow to take a temperature reading.

Smart move, Stan.

I know it's not fun, but it's oftentimes the first thing that shows up when a rabbit is in trouble.

-Carolyn

A couple reports that I read on using thetympanic thermometers stated that they were not accurate enough forclinical use. They could give you a general indication ofbody temperature, but would not be as accurate as taking a rectaltemperature.

Pam

Latest posts

Back